How Wide Are You're Handlebars?

codeofthegrave

Jul 5, 2015
On my commuter MTB I run 580mm (23") and on my old school MTB I run 711mm (28")

I feel the wider bars work best for off road as it gives me more leverage and control and on my commuter this width seems to work because I don't get crazy on my commutes.(not too crazy anyway...lol).

What works for you?

I run 540 mm for mostly single track riding. It's narrow, but I'm comfortable with it, and don't really like wide bars anymore.

710 on rigid SS and 740 on Yelli. I can't go any wider, I already have too many places where I have to stop to go between trees.

I ran 5somethings for a long time but finally broke down and went with 680s on one and 660 on my other. I like those widths but they still scare me going between tight trees every now and again. I don't know how people deal with 700+ bars lol.

725mm on my XC bike. I love the stability on descents and the rocking leverage I get to use on out-of-saddle sprints. Width is no problem in ST with trees.

I find that I prefer the 711mm- 28inch bars.
They are the old school '80's Ritchey Bull Moose handlebars.
They are on the heavy side and very solid but that's ok because my because my B17 is also on the heavy side but comfortable.

Mine are 13 centimeters wide, they allow me to sneak through tight gaps in both bunches and traffic.....it's a win+win.

I had a friend who LOVED having wide bars.
The wider the better, I think he got a kick out of it.
I wish I knew off the top of my head the MM's on his PDC.
We even called him "wide bar Brett" (which was made even better by the fact he liked his women wide as well.)
He caught a tree downhilling and gave up the wide bars after a broken clavicle.

My handlebars aren't that wide, I would probably say around 12cm wide. I prefer bikes with smaller handlebars, as it gives me more stability and comfort when riding. However, my bike is a BMX, so maybe it depends on the bike...also, you could say that wider handlebars give you more control over the bike. If I'm honest, I prefer dangerous riding, hehe.