How wierd is my HR data?

beison

Feb 18, 2008
So I've been comparing my HR data for the past year or two to my team mates, and other cyclists. I have a relatively high max at ~205, but this really isn't that crazy of a number.

What I think is goofy is when you start to look at my peak HR data. The data below was taken from a very hard road race/circuit race about 2 weeks ago:

Peak 1s: 203
peak 5s: 203
peak 20s: 202
peak 30s: 202
peak 1 min: 201
peak 5 min: 195
peak 10 min: 191
peak 20 min: 189

and for the whole race effort of 1hour 20 minutes, an average of 185

I guess these numbers have always seemed super high, and I can only hit em when I'm extreeeeeeemely fresh. But I was curious if they're similar to anyone else's top end?

Well... Your peak 10 minute HR about at my max - so your ticker is definitely quicker (than mine, at least).

HR varies A LOT from person to person though, and it's not much of an indicator between people. You simply can't tell fitness from one person to another based on how high their max HR is. To put in in perspective: For the same volume of cardiac output in two people with the same fitness/training level, one person may pump 60 times per minute, while the other may pump 42.

Use your HR data as a measure of your own fitness and freshness, etc. It's a great biofeedback tool for training, but not much use in comparisons between people - unless you're really into resting HR contests :D

i guess i more meant the comparison between my max at 205, and my ability to hold a number so close to my max. I've also done 20 minute max exertion tests, and had an average hr of 195... that's like just over 95% max HR for 20 minutes...

Is that a common thing? Like, I dont think it makes me faster or anything, but i'm just curious if that's common