How windy is it where you live?

Craig Walsh

Jul 31, 2004
Pretty windy where I live, can get some strong head and tail winds since I live on the Coast.

I rode most of yeasterday's ride into a strong head wind which affected my speeds when going down hill.

It gets very windy where I live only during early spring and sometime during mid summer. But mostly, its very calm and just a normal breeze.

tanggoman said:
It gets very windy where I live only during early spring and sometime during mid summer. But mostly, its very calm and just a normal breeze.

Hey tanggoman...do you live in the same east bay as I do? Northern California? The wind comes up like clock work after noon. After all, they have the Altamont wind farm here for a reason :)

I live on the coast as well and theres normaly some wind present when im out on my rides, im sure i must be imagine it but seems as though it doesnt matter what dirrection i ride in im allways cycling into a damn head wind. I do quite a lot of circuits round my way and allways start of cycling into the wind, doesnt put me off though coz i know once i head back i can be taken by the wind and glide back. hmmm.... never works out that way.

Craig Walsh said:
Pretty windy where I live, can get some strong head and tail winds since I live on the Coast.

I rode most of yeasterday's ride into a strong head wind which affected my speeds when going down hill.
i live on the west coast of ireland, in shannon, co. clare. im right beside the airport, which means that the surrounding countryside is very open and the wind coming in from the atlantic is still as strong as if it was out on the open sea,(limerickman will know what im talking about).
it isnt until you reach limerick (about 14 miles away) that you notice any difference in wind speed. it certainly makes some rides very "interesting" at times, as you could average up to 30 mph on an outward leg of a training ride and barely 15 mph on the return trip.

Craig Walsh said:

Hi - I live on the West Coast of South Africa...spring through summer we have a ripper of a South-Easter - It cranks all the way up to 50-60kph - You tend to find religion while cycling into the teeth of a good South-Easter.

We have a pretty interesting monsoon season where I live in central NM. Almost every afternoon turns from calm to insanely windy, with real danger in sudden cloudbursts and electrical storms. Beautiful to watch from indoors, a bit frightening if you're caught 20 mi from home in one. I was actually caught in a dust devil last year and came away with a bunch of scrapes and a bruise (from being pelted with sticks, junk, tumbleweeds).

tourdelivermore said:
Hey tanggoman...do you live in the same east bay as I do? Northern California? The wind comes up like clock work after noon. After all, they have the Altamont wind farm here for a reason :)

I live in Walnut Creek. Not as windy. :)

I've lived in Roswell, NM for 14 years. I'm starting to think that it may have been our winds that caused the UFO to crash back in '47. :eek: :D

It can get very windy for days in the Denver area. "Chinook" or "snow eater" winds occur many times during the winter. Here's a definition from the Weather Channel:

A type of foehn wind. Refers to the warm downslope wind in the Rocky Mountains that may occur after an intense cold spell when the temperature could rise by 20°F to 40°F in a matter of minutes.

On those days, I usually just stay home. The sand and gravel they put on the streets for the snow and ice really hurts when it becomes airborne! Speaking of wind - ever have those days when it feels like you have a headwind no matter which way you turn? I hate that... ;)

Shreklookalike said:
I've lived in Roswell, NM for 14 years. I'm starting to think that it may have been our winds that caused the UFO to crash back in '47. :eek: :D

Just did the Bottomless Tri in Roswell at bottomless lake last month. You've got some pretty trails out there.

ALAN OBRIEN said:
i live on the west coast of ireland, in shannon, co. clare. im right beside the airport, which means that the surrounding countryside is very open and the wind coming in from the atlantic is still as strong as if it was out on the open sea,(limerickman will know what im talking about).
it isnt until you reach limerick (about 14 miles away) that you notice any difference in wind speed. it certainly makes some rides very "interesting" at times, as you could average up to 30 mph on an outward leg of a training ride and barely 15 mph on the return trip.
I would rather suffer into the wind and do a miles or kilometres into it and not going very fast and have a cruisey ride home :D

RC2 said:
Just did the Bottomless Tri in Roswell at bottomless lake last month. You've got some pretty trails out there.
Bottomless Lake is a pretty area isn't it? ;) I only wish I had some real time to do some biking out there. Hopefully next year I'll get down to working only one job and will be able to get in some more recreational riding. For now the best I can do is extend my commutes. :(

today we had a 25mph average with gusts around 35mph, i was averaging 15mph going into the wind for 10 miles and the return trip was an average of 29mph