How Would You Describe "Cycling Culture"?

CyclingCultureWho?

Dec 27, 2015
I'm trying to figure out how we describe the cycling culture. What makes us unique and have the ability to bond other than the obvious fact we all have a bike, is it the life style, the common interest in fitness...

In a brief sentence or two how would you describe the cycling community and what the shared morals/interests are. Please also state which style bicycle you ride (Road/MT/Fixie)
Thank you

*For College Culture Project

To me, my meaning of cycling culture is exploration more than anything. I don't really ride for fitness, I ride for the fun of it and as I said for exploring places that I would not be able to do if I were in a car or with a group.

With the bigger picture, I don't like the stigma attached my cyclists sometimes.

There are many riders out there, especially the newer riders, that don't share in the Cycling Culture. But the Brothers of the Wheel are those who see another cyclist stopped by the side of the road and ask him if there's anything they need. Whether that be a charged cell phone or your last CO2 cartridge or even an innertube or an all-in-one tool they are willing to help. And usually through experience they do not expect other riders to treat them in a similar manner. They walk up to people in a coffee shop shop and ask about their bike and the ride they're on. Of course many are motivated to act like racers when they couldn't carry the water for a real racer, but also many will ride on the back of groups to make sure everyone makes it.

Is there one sentence that would describe them? No, but there is one word - "enthusiast".

I believe it is about freedom. I realize that people in cars may get faster to their planned destinations but even in convertibles they are limited to everything traffic demand. We all know how we go around everybody or just hop on the sidewalk or we just want to make a shortcut and go through park and enjoy some city nature and rest a bit. I know those guys are businessmen. I cannot say I am one but I worked and used my bicycle as a transport. It has been stolen so now I just use something else to travel.

Reactions: ItsikH
I'd also have to say that unfortunately these days, the newer breed of cyclists don't have the same sense of camaraderie as the older ones have.

I've lost count of the times I've said good morning to a fellow cyclists only to be rode past and completely ignored.

I'd also have to say that unfortunately these days, the newer breed of cyclists don't have the same sense of camaraderie as the older ones have.

I've lost count of the times I've said good morning to a fellow cyclists only to be rode past and completely ignored.

LOL, I'm from Manchester too and that's my same experience as well. I think the culture in Britain overall has become more and more unfriendly over the years, so this might just be a part of that. We Northerners used to be renowned for our approachable natures, but this seems to be changing. Sad really.

LOL, I'm from Manchester too and that's my same experience as well. I think the culture in Britain overall has become more and more unfriendly over the years, so this might just be a part of that. We Northerners used to be renowned for our approachable natures, but this seems to be changing. Sad really.

Approachable to everyone and anyone...apart from if you're from the south ;) Only joking...most northern people I've spoken too have been lovely, apart from family that is.

It seems that in the cities and towns cyclists are very much in their own world and rude but if you get out into the country I think there is still that same common bond out there but as has been said, it seems to be a dying thing.

Reactions: pwarbi and jimmy484
Approachable to everyone and anyone...apart from if you're from the south ;) Only joking...most northern people I've spoken too have been lovely, apart from family that is.

It seems that in the cities and towns cyclists are very much in their own world and rude but if you get out into the country I think there is still that same common bond out there but as has been said, it seems to be a dying thing.

Yeh, we don't like shandy drinking southerners! Only joking!

Maybe it's a little unfair to say that cycling culture as changed for the worse on my part, maybe it's more of a change in society as a whole that's to blame?

Either way and whatever the reason, it's not a friendly subculture anymore like it used to be I don't think, then again that might just be in the cities?

That is sad to hear. I'm a fairly antisocial cyclist, I don't ride with groups for instance, and even I respond to a greeting.

Reactions: pwarbi
Its a positive mindset with good physical conditioning. Whether it is traveling in groups or alone it develops the mind and body into its best possible state. You become more aware and courteous. You are out of the automobile and into a somewhat lesser state that humbles you. Transforms the mind and builds stamina.

Its a positive mindset with good physical conditioning. Whether it is traveling in groups or alone it develops the mind and body into its best possible state. You become more aware and courteous. You are out of the automobile and into a somewhat lesser state that humbles you. Transforms the mind and builds stamina.

I don't think your response is on topic or maybe you don't understand the meaning of culture. Read the other replies might be good next time.

That is sad to hear. I'm a fairly antisocial cyclist, I don't ride with groups for instance, and even I respond to a greeting.

It is quite sad but I've always acknowledged other cyclists and if they respond or not I'll keep doing it. Like I said, maybe cycling in and around a city is different as I guess everyone is in such a hurry to get where they're going?

There are a lot that do respond and will chat, but there's a lot that don't and I think that trend is getting more and more.

"The bicycle is the noblest invention of mankind."/William Saroyan
This is my most inspiring quote about cycling, but many others share that same feature - quoted from noblemen who had little or nothing to do with professional cycling [not that there is anything wrong about professional cycling - just that its deeper meaning is far wider].
Wherever I cycle, cyclists always bond together.
Cycling brings so many good things out of us.
And so I will go out to cycle a little now before work :)

I should add, in one special country have I seen and felt that culture more than anywhere else in the world - Spain, where I never rode alone a single day, cyclists directing my way, keeping me company and... offering me food.

It might sound harsh to say this, but I think cyclists have become arrogant over the last few years. We/they seem to see themselves as the good guys of the road, and car drivers as the baddies. We've hopped onto the self-righteousness bandwagon of the ecological brigade, and it's not necessarily showered us in a particularly good light.....

It might sound harsh to say this, but I think cyclists have become arrogant over the last few years. We/they seem to see themselves as the good guys of the road, and car drivers as the baddies. We've hopped onto the self-righteousness bandwagon of the ecological brigade, and it's not necessarily showered us in a particularly good light.....

I think it's a bit harsh to generalise and say that's the case for all cyclists to be honest. While I agree that there are some tree hugging types that only ride a bicycle because it appears to be 'fashionable' these days, there are a lot that just cycle because they enjoy it and couldn't care less if it's trendy or not.

Yeh, we don't like shandy drinking southerners! Only joking!

Maybe it's a little unfair to say that cycling culture as changed for the worse on my part, maybe it's more of a change in society as a whole that's to blame?

Either way and whatever the reason, it's not a friendly subculture anymore like it used to be I don't think, then again that might just be in the cities?

I've had the best experiences and interactions with other cyclists out in the country as I say but in the city the mindset or culture just seems to be very different. It might seem strange but it's quite fascinating how when greeting a fellow cyclist out in the country I've had a cheery response, while doing the same in the city the most I received was something which sounded like a grunt.