How would your club handle this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Purvis wrote:
> Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>
>>...Usually this means literally holding the bowl in my hands while they drink. It's a pain in the
>>ass, [...]
>
>
> Yes it is. A better way is to bring along a bowl. I used to always have an old sour cream or
> cottage cheese container with me. Rosie was happy to drink out of that. It's small, and I'd just
> stuff it into a ***** pack. We now have a canvas dog bowl that can be rolled up.

I do have a bowl for them - a collapsible trail bowl that I keep wrapped around my stem:
http://www.caninehardware.com/ . But if I fill it, set it on the ground, and start walking
or riding around, they'll take a couple of quick slurps and then ignore it for fear they're
going to miss out on something. I was being quite literal - I hold the bowl for them while
they drink. That way they're totally sure that nothing exciting is going to happen before
they've drunk their fill, and it also keeps them from spilling when both dogs have to get
their snouts in there at the same time.

Kathleen

better be careful if *everyone* was out of water its time to stop worrying about the dog and start
worrying about you or the same will happen to you. your friends dog had a problem not because it
didn't want to drink, but because they didn't have enough for it to drink, very different things.

so what is right for rosie is right for all dogs everywhere?? just because your dog will/wants to
drink doesn't mean all dogs will/want to as l said before l always carry water, l always offer him
water. what do you think l should do when l have run my dog 10 miles and he wont drink? people are
different dogs are different

>I have never taken a dog to a place where I expected to see more than 3 other people all day long
must be handy to have so much space, not all people can do this

l agree it should be on a lead but is penny as strict on all the other rules?or it is just this one?

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 08:54:13 -0800, Sorni wrote:

> Jeez, I kept wondering why I wasn't seeing the posts from this idiot (IRM, that is, not YOU,
> Gabrielle :) -- turns out I plonked him/her/it some time ago.
>
> "Sorni does one thing right!" (Chant repeatedly until point made.)
>
> Bill "life's too fvcking short to waste on these dillheads" S.

Ohhh, mea culpa. (I think you misspelled "*****" though. ;D )

I just can't get these dern filters to work right.

gabrielle

stu wrote:
> better be careful if *everyone* was out of water its time to stop worrying about the dog and start
> worrying about you or the same will happen to you. your friends dog had a problem not because it
> didn't want to drink, but because they didn't have enough for it to drink, very different things.
>
> so what is right for rosie is right for all dogs everywhere??

Uh, yeah, pretty much.

> just because your dog will/wants to drink doesn't mean all dogs will/want to as l said before l
> always carry water, l always offer him water. what do you think l should do when l have run my dog
> 10 miles and he wont drink?

Did you read my post? I think you should bring a bowl, fill it up, sit down on the ground
and hold it while your dog drinks. That's exactly what I have to do to get mine to drink
more that a couple of desultory slurps. When I do it right, though, they drink and drink.
And they use the break to blow off some of the heat generated by running muscles, huffing
out great hot clouds of steaming dog breath. My dogs probably cover twice the distance I do,
what with running ahead and circling back. I don't know about you, but I'd NEVER forgive
myself if one of my dogs keeled over from heatstroke or dehydration. And it happens all the
time at sheepdog trials, so much so that wading pools are kept handy for cooling the dogs
after their runs. Dogs doing things they love with people they love are perfectly capable of
running themselves to death. You have to err on the side of caution because sometimes the
situation can go from pretty much okay to critical in minutes.

> people are different dogs are different <snip>

Are you willing to bet your dog's life?

Kathleen

>> so what is right for rosie is right for all dogs everywhere??
>
>Uh, yeah, pretty much.
so an alaskan malamute and a rhodesian ridgeback have the same water needs in an australian summer??
so coz rosie can run 20 miles every dog can???

>I think you should bring a bowl, fill it up, sit down on the ground and hold it while your
>dog drinks. That's exactly what I have to do to get mine to drink more that a couple of
>desultory slurps.
done this doesn't drink lay down on the grass for 10 minutes, dog laying next to me doesn't drink
now what, a tube down the neck? as l have said he isn't in a hurry to have a drink once he is home
all dogs are not the same all days are not the same do what is right for your dog on that day

>Are you willing to bet your dog's life?
you bet your dogs life every time you take it out of the yard

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> (this has been on my mind since last fall and the issue is about to resurface)
>
> I'm in a pretty loosely organized women's bike club. Membership gets you a monthly meeting during
> the season, a price break on a jersey, a email
roster
> so you can send out ride announcements, a few standing rides.
>
> here's the deal.
>
> one rider ( her bf specifically) shows up with a dog. The dog is great as trail dogs go, knows how
> to stay out of the way and so on. The issues for me are a) they don't water the dog, even on 12
> mile rides, and b) they
bring
> it into the state park which is populated by a lot of different users and has a leash law.
>

I ride with my dogs (off the leash) and would be concerned to ride 12 miles without them getting
water. However where I ride (in the UK) they can and do usually find their own on the way. Dogs are
quite happy to drink out of muddy puddles - in fact they seem to prefer it. This relies on you not
going so fast all they time that all they can do is keep up.

Suppose you had this dog on a ride and encountered Vandeman? The dog might instinctively go for his
throat and if it didn't do a clean job of it, we'd never hear the end of it here. Mountain bikers
and their killer hounds!

Steve McDonald

"Gazoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Simple solution ....... MYOB.
>
Hey Doof, if she's leading the ride, it is her own business.

Paladin When you're responsible for leading a group, it's my way or the highway.
> --
> ______________________________________
>
> "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
> ______________________________________
> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > (this has been on my mind since last fall and the issue is about to resurface)
> >
> > I'm in a pretty loosely organized women's bike club. Membership gets you a monthly meeting
> > during the season, a price break on a jersey, a email
> roster
> > so you can send out ride announcements, a few standing rides.
> >
> > here's the deal.
> >
> > one rider ( her bf specifically) shows up with a dog. The dog is great as trail dogs go, knows
> > how to stay out of the way and so on. The issues for me are a) they don't water the dog, even on
> > 12 mile rides, and b) they
> bring
> > it into the state park which is populated by a lot of different users and has a leash law.
> >
> > I'm really uncomfortable with this personally as I don't think that they
> are
> > taking appropriate care of the dog.. no water in 12 miles and when I"ve addressed this in the
> > past, they say oh he's fine. Also. I'm concerned with "dog-at-large" in a leash regulated area.
> > Ultimately it's not my ticket... BUT .. as a "leader" of a (loosely organized) "club" ride...I
> > have this idea that the club riders ought to try and be good bike citizens and I'm
> > uncomfortable. FWIW, I keep my dogs leashed in same area... there are other places more
> > appropriate to let them run.
> >
> > I had a private conversation with the club president, mainly to the tune of "can I say no dogs
> > on my riders" and she was wishy washy about the
> whole
> > thing. The club board seems to be wishy washy in general but that's
> another
> > story.
> >
> > I"m welcome to input here. My own sneaky solution at the moment is to just leave that party off
> > the emailing (oops) .
> >
> > Penny
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.467 / Virus Database: 266 - Release Date: 4/1/2003

"stu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> better be careful if *everyone* was out of water its time to stop worrying about the dog and start
> worrying about you or the same will happen to you. your friends dog had a problem not because it
> didn't want to drink, but because they didn't have enough for it to drink, very different things.

Stu, the point is that dogs can be hurt by becoming dehydrated.

Obviously you "know better". Clearly you're one of those really smart people in the world who are
lucky enough to know everything. Sorry I annoyed you, oh wise one.

> so what is right for rosie is right for all dogs everywhere?? just because your dog will/wants to
> drink doesn't mean all dogs will/want to as l said before l always carry water, l always offer
> him water.

How do you offer him water? Be specific please.

> >I have never taken a dog to a place where I expected to see more than 3 other people all day long
> must be handy to have so much space, not all people can do this

Then they don't live in an area that is conducive to riding bicycles with dogs. Yes, I live in a
place (CO) that has vast open spaces. I have made sacrifices to live here. If I didn't have access
to remote open spaces, I wouldn't ever ride with a dog.

And by the way, I rarely do ride with dogs anymore. I have three, and two of them are over 10 years
old. My youngest dog is a great runner, and is young enough and in good enough condition to go, but
the other two get jealous. Plus it's a hassle. There are so many other easier, safer things to do
with dogs that taking them on a bike ride rarely makes sense. Even living in rural CO.

Clearly I'm not on the verge of changing your mind. But that's OK. There are literally millions of
dog owners out there who have the same casual, what-me-worry? attitude about dog ownership. Like
you, they'll probably have to learn the hard lessons themselves through personal experience. But I'm
not writing this to those knuckleheads. I'm writing this to the people out there who still have
their minds open just enough to critically consider their own actions with regard to dog ownership.
--
Tom Purvis - http://www.arkansasvalley.net Salida, CO

I don't think it's worth the original poster's time to worry about another person's dog. The
president of this loosely organized club is not concerned with the issue so perhaps there isn't one?

BTW Thank you for the derogatory name-calling............had a rough childhood?

--

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Simple solution ....... MYOB.
> >
> Hey Doof, if she's leading the ride, it is her own business.
>
> Paladin When you're responsible for leading a group, it's my way or the highway.
> > --
> > ______________________________________
> >
> > "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
> > ______________________________________
> > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > (this has been on my mind since last fall and the issue is about to resurface)
> > >
> > > I'm in a pretty loosely organized women's bike club. Membership gets
you a
> > > monthly meeting during the season, a price break on a jersey, a email
> > roster
> > > so you can send out ride announcements, a few standing rides.
> > >
> > > here's the deal.
> > >
> > > one rider ( her bf specifically) shows up with a dog. The dog is great
as
> > > trail dogs go, knows how to stay out of the way and so on. The issues
for
> > > me are a) they don't water the dog, even on 12 mile rides, and b) they
> > bring
> > > it into the state park which is populated by a lot of different users
and
> > > has a leash law.
> > >
> > > I'm really uncomfortable with this personally as I don't think that
they
> > are
> > > taking appropriate care of the dog.. no water in 12 miles and when
I"ve
> > > addressed this in the past, they say oh he's fine. Also. I'm
concerned
> > > with "dog-at-large" in a leash regulated area. Ultimately it's not my ticket... BUT .. as a
> > > "leader" of a (loosely organized) "club"
ride...I
> > > have this idea that the club riders ought to try and be good bike
citizens
> > > and I'm uncomfortable. FWIW, I keep my dogs leashed in same area...
there
> > > are other places more appropriate to let them run.
> > >
> > > I had a private conversation with the club president, mainly to the
tune
> > > of "can I say no dogs on my riders" and she was wishy washy about the
> > whole
> > > thing. The club board seems to be wishy washy in general but that's
> > another
> > > story.
> > >
> > > I"m welcome to input here. My own sneaky solution at the moment is to
just
> > > leave that party off the emailing (oops) .
> > >
> > > Penny
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> > ---
> > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system
> > (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.467 / Virus Database: 266 - Release Date: 4/1/2003

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.467 / Virus Database: 266 - Release Date: 4/1/2003

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:35:54 -0800, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip club ride problems]

>Penny

Solution: You can't ride with us if you bring that dog.

Peace, Bill[don't need no stinking club to ride]Wheeler

The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

>Stu, the point is that dogs can be hurt by becoming dehydrated.
yes, never said they cant

>Obviously you "know better". Clearly you're one of those really smart people in the world who are
>lucky enough to know everything. Sorry I annoyed you, oh wise one
no, just trying to point out what is right for your dog isn't right for every dog every where

>How do you offer him water? Be specific please.
see other post

>Then they don't live in an area that is conducive to riding bicycles with dogs. Yes, I live in a
>place (CO) that has vast open spaces. I have made sacrifices to live here. If I didn't have access
>to remote open spaces, I wouldn't ever ride with a dog.
or you could do what l do and ride with the dog on a lead

>Clearly I'm not on the verge of changing your mind. But that's OK. There are literally millions of
>dog owners out there who have the same casual, what-me-worry? attitude about dog ownership. Like
>you, they'll probably have to learn the hard lessons themselves through personal experience. But
>I'm not writing this to those knuckleheads. I'm writing this to the people out there who still have
>their minds open just enough to critically consider their own actions with regard to dog ownership
any more names you would like to call me?????? what makes you think l don't worry??? haven't told
you what to do with your dog anywhere haven't said l am not concerned about dogs becoming dehydrated
trying to get across that not all dogs have the same needs l don't know what the weather is like in
CO(don't even know what state that is sorry) l don't know what sort of dog you have l don't know how
long you have his hair clipped(if at all) so l can't tell you what your dog needs but l do fine it
pretty amazing that you can tell me what mine needs so wouldn't that make you the "know better"
really smart, lucky know it all wise one, casual what-me-worry? attitude about dog ownership,
knucklehead enough, have a great day

If you're leading the ride, you can decide anything about it - including whether or not dogs are
allowed. In your email to the riders, just state it will be a "no dog" ride. If people are offended,
they just won't show up.

"Trail ride at xyz park this Saturday at 9:00am (no dogs)."

I prefer to not ride with dogs. They _will_ run in front of you no matter how "trail savvy" they
are. And their owner's constant yelling for the thing to come back gets old real quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.