How'd I Do?

davidbeinct

Sep 20, 2007
Well, after taking my 'cross bike onto some single trax with MTN buddies, I decided to take the plunge. I live in SE Connecticut, so no real steeps here, lotsa fun trails at Bluff Point, among others.

I went to the LBS to ask some questions and wound up picking up an '06 Stumpjumper HT. It has XT rear, LX front, Truvativ crank, and the one major thing I might consider upgrading, rim brakes from Avid. The fork is a Fox F90, which seems to be a pretty good XC level fork and more than enough for the areas I ride.

My inaugural ride was a blast, and I found myself going up and down stuff that had me hopping off the cross bike.

I paid $999 for this beast, which supposedely retailed new for $1400, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna really love it, but how was my deal? Screaming, good, so so?

David B.

Which stumpjumper is it?

That sounds like a good price, considering the 08's are/will be available.

Miscreant said:
Which stumpjumper is it?

That sounds like a good price, considering the 08's are/will be available.
It's the base model, they just call it the stumpjumper. The "classic" has no front fork, this one does, by all accounts a pretty good one, and mostly LX with an XT rear derailler.

David B.

davidbeinct said:
The "classic" has no front fork...........
That has to be extemely difficult to ride. :D

Seriously though, the stumpjumper is practically bombproof and should serve you very well. Have fun.

I was asking cause theres the base, and then the comp but thats disc. I'd say you got a good $300-400 off for it being a slightly older model. Good deal in my book.

Scotty_Dog said:
That has to be extemely difficult to ride. :D

Seriously though, the stumpjumper is practically bombproof and should serve you very well. Have fun.
Yeah, but once you get good at it you can ride one with a fork over anything! :p Well, obviously I meant the classic has no sprung fork. The one I got is just called the stumpjumper, with no follow on subtitle, and has a fox fork, it is a blast to ride.

David B.

Do you really want to exchange the rim brakes on your new bike before wearing them out? If so, then yes, Avid Single Digit V-brakes are the way to go. I upgraded to Avids and I am very pleased with their performance. Great power and modulation. You might want to get Avid brake levers while you're at it. But be mindful of that old mechanic's adage; "if it works, why change it?"

TheLastMariner said:
Do you really want to exchange the rim brakes on your new bike before wearing them out? If so, then yes, Avid Single Digit V-brakes are the way to go. I upgraded to Avids and I am very pleased with their performance. Great power and modulation. You might want to get Avid brake levers while you're at it. But be mindful of that old mechanic's adage; "if it works, why change it?"
Sorry, I see my original post is somewhat poorly worded. What I meant was I currently have rim brakes from Avid and am considering going with disks.

David B.

davidbeinct said:
Yeah, but once you get good at it you can ride one with a fork over anything! :p Well, obviously I meant the classic has no sprung fork. The one I got is just called the stumpjumper, with no follow on subtitle, and has a fox fork, it is a blast to ride.

David B.
Ones you get used to it, you'l get the good feel of the ride