Howd i get the dam thing off?!?!

complience

Sep 8, 2004
okay .. ive got my nackered old mountain bike. (dimondback)

and i want to take of the pedal arm (not sure of the propername) anyway the metal arm that links the pedals to the frame and chain ring.

the dam thing is suck fast.. Ive taken off the bolt in the middle with an alan key.

and sprayed it with WD40 to loosen it.

but neither of them will move left or right.

any tools, tips or techniques i should try?

complience said:
okay .. ive got my nackered old mountain bike. (dimondback)

and i want to take of the pedal arm (not sure of the propername) anyway the metal arm that links the pedals to the frame and chain ring.

the dam thing is suck fast.. Ive taken off the bolt in the middle with an alan key.

and sprayed it with WD40 to loosen it.

but neither of them will move left or right.

any tools, tips or techniques i should try?
You need a crank extractor. Or take it to a LBS.

whats one look like? do i really need one?

I mean it does look like anything is stopping it from comming off..

cant i jam a screwdriver in there or summat?

complience said:
whats one look like? do i really need one?

I mean it does look like anything is stopping it from comming off..

cant i jam a screwdriver in there or summat?
Good luck with the screwdriver. You need an extractor.

I dont want to extract the crank tho... well not yet anyway.

I just want to get the pedal arm thing off the crank.

complience said:
I dont want to extract the crank tho... well not yet anyway.

I just want to get the pedal arm thing off the crank.

The crank (the thing that the pedal screws into - you know, there's one on each side of the bottom bracket and they're probably around 170mm long)... does not screw on. It slides on to the "spindle". You use a crank extractor to slide it off.

Try looking at http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQrCarm.shtml

Ritch

AH.. ****.

so i went to my lBs and got my self the crank remover doo dar.

and got the left side off easy enough.. ish.

but the right side is bugard.. the thread dont work its all buckled and mangled.

basicly the crank remover doo dar is no longer an option.. it wont work.. cos it wont fit in.

so back to my original question.. how do i get the dam thing off?!?!

complience said:
AH.. ****.

so i went to my lBs and got my self the crank remover doo dar.

and got the left side off easy enough.. ish.

but the right side is bugard.. the thread dont work its all buckled and mangled.

basicly the crank remover doo dar is no longer an option.. it wont work.. cos it wont fit in.

so back to my original question.. how do i get the dam thing off?!?!
The way I see it is you have several options:

Try cleaning the threads up on the right crank arm enough to get the extractor to thread on. A small point file and patience might work.

Buy a small two arm puller similar to the type you would use to remove a pulley or steering wheel off a car (except much smaller of course). Care must be used so you don't damage the crankarm.

Take it to your LBS.

What is your intention for removing the crank arm? If you're planning on replacing the crankset & bottom bracket, you could remove the fixed cup without having to pull the crank arm, since you have successfully removed the left crank arm. If you're just overhauling the bottom bracket, you're probably best off just sucking it up & going to the LBS

Forget the treads.. Ive destoryed them the extractor just chewed em up.

"A two arm puller" dont know what this is? when i remove a steering wheel i just yank the dam thing off.

I was removing em.. cos they were buckled.. was going to see if i would refit them better.. or just replace them.

when i say buckled i mean the crank arms wobbled from side to side.. meaning i could never get a clean chain line.

what the hell is the fixed cup? im not making tea.

My LBS is run a greesy haired nob jockey.. i ant going to see him.

nick burns said:

Try cleaning the threads up on the right crank arm enough to get the extractor to thread on. A small point file and patience might work.

Buy a small two arm puller similar to the type you would use to remove a pulley or steering wheel off a car (except much smaller of course). Care must be used so you don't damage the crankarm.

Take it to your LBS.

What is your intention for removing the crank arm? If you're planning on replacing the crankset & bottom bracket, you could remove the fixed cup without having to pull the crank arm, since you have successfully removed the left crank arm. If you're just overhauling the bottom bracket, you're probably best off just sucking it up & going to the LBS

Forget the threads.. Ive destoryed them the extractor just chewed em up.

"A two arm puller" dont know what this is? when i remove a steering wheel i just yank the dam thing off.

I was removing em.. cos they were buckled.. was going to see if i would refit them better.. or just replace them.

when i say buckled i mean the crank arms wobbled from side to side.. meaning i could never get a clean chain line.

nick burns said:

Take it to your LBS.

I was removing them.. cos they were buckled.. was going to see if i would refit them better.. or just replace them.

nick burns said:

Take it to your LBS.

complience said:

I was removing them.. cos they were buckled.. was going to see if i would refit them better.. or just replace them.

read post #8

ive got no time to read while my bike is still broken!

at the moment im trying to technics..

1. hitting very hard repeatly with a hamer.
2. ramming 2 screwdrivers in either side and trying to jar it out.

complience said:

good luck. don't forget your safety glasses.

complience said:

Is this a joke? You don't have time to read yet you seem to have time to read our posts. Why not just go to www.parktool.com and read the repair help article. It's already typed out and ready for you. With pictures. Why would you still want to hear anything from us?

where does it say how to get a crank of with out a crank remover?

and on a seperate issue can i have your phone number?

complience said:
where does it say how to get a crank of with out a crank remover?

and on a seperate issue can i have your phone number?
Ok, obviously you're frustrated. Just wait until tomorrow and go to your LBS and get a crank extractor for $15. It's a worthy investment. I don't care if you don't like your LBS guy. Just buy the extractor and tell him that you'll extract your own cranks. If you have time to wait, get a tool kit like this one: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16017&subcategory_ID=4218

It includes pretty much all the tools you need to take apart your bike and put it back again, without risking damage from hammers, rammed screwdrivers, and whatever else you've thrown at the crank.

I've heard people just riding the bike with the crank bolts off and having them eventually slip off. I've also heard of people doing this and having their cranks NOT slip off.

Why do you want my phone number?