How'd we do on last year's resolutions

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by underdog, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. underdog

    underdog Guest

    Time for the end of the year checkup on your '2005 New Year's
    Resolutions' (http://tinyurl.com/d3z8j).

    I'm still kind of a novice so here were mine:

    My resolutions:
    1. Get my idling to where it's as natural as sitting on the sofa.
    2. 5 miles without a UPD
    3. 20 mile ride
    4. Start riding in the dirt

    I got 'em all except for the 20 mile ride.

    Some of you had some pretty tough stuff to learn. Hope you all did
    well.

    --
    underdog

    'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
    tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
    underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

  2. jsm

    jsm Guest

    My resolutions were:
    1. Get solid level 8.
    2. Solid sideways wheel walk.
    3. Coast 50+ meters.
    4. Side ride.
    5. Stand-up wheel walk.

    1. I am not solid level eight yet. I've decided it's nearly impossible
    to get a full three revolution pirouette unless you have a gym to ride
    in. I have not been able to motivate myself to learn the backward spin.
    Everything else I can do easily.
    2. My sideways wheel walk is nearly solid.
    3. I've managed to coast between 60 and 70 meters.
    4. I can side ride one-handed, and have gotten into and out of regular
    side ride several times.
    5. I've learned stand-up wheel walk, stand-up glide, and stand-up
    koosh-koosh.

    So I kept 80% of my resolutions.

    --
    jsm

    Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia
    jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

  3. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

  4. chosen

    chosen Guest

  5. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    mine from last year:

    > land a unispin consistently
    > do a 360 hopspin
    > get to level, say, seven. Or maybe eight, I'll see.
    > Beat Brian in the Moscow Mountain Madness bike race
    > land a giant big scary gap at the Albertson Building that I've been
    > looking at for a while.
    > get a LOT better at seat out hopping. like around 25" at least. I might
    > work on high rolling hops too....but I like seat out better.

    I'm goood at unispinning now.
    I can ALMOST do a 360 unispin, but with winter and tons of snow I
    haven't been able to practice for like a month. so I can't do that
    yet.
    I can successfully do all the skills in level 7, most of the
    time...still need to work at getting them more consistent.
    I broke my foot right before Moscow Mountain Madness so I couldn't do
    it ):
    I did the giant big scary gap!! it was awesome :)
    I'm better at seat out hopping...still not good yet though.

    --
    James_Potter

    to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

    michael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

  6. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    Ooh, I looked mine up:eek:

    (1) To end the year as fit as I start it. (This year, I failed.)

    A consistent result! This year, I also failed. Right foot, left
    ankle, and right wrist all on their last legs. Half a stone (7 pounds)
    gained in weight.

    (2) To ride some new routes.

    Yes, a few, but still relying on the old stand-by routes too much. Did
    some good rides on Dartmoor and some new bits of Sherwood Forest. One
    long ride into the Vale of Belvoir.

    (3) To do the fifty miles again, and hopefully the hundred. (This
    year, I think I never did more than 40 miles in a day.)

    Yes, I did 50 - this time on the 700c. Last time it was on the Coker,
    so that's progress of a sort. No 100 though.

    (4) 25 miles without a dismount. (Last year, I managed just over 22
    miles (35 km.)

    Situation never arose. My riding opportunities and goals have
    changed.

    (5) Not to rip open my chin, need 7 stitches and scar myself for life
    on the first free weekend of the year.

    Success on this one, at least. Still ugly though.

    I also made some progress at work, got a promotion of sorts. I did a
    bit more singing with the Morris men. The guitar fell by the wayside.
    Fencing has improved but still a long way to go.

    --
    Mikefule

    ""Zeno said this." And what have you said?"

  7. fexnix

    fexnix Guest

  8. gkmac

    gkmac Guest

    Just one for me...

    -Hopefully overcome my fear of riding outside in public.-

    ...which I solved slowly, starting with a few circuits in town at 4am
    one morning, then riding my uni home from the train station to my house
    on Tuesday nights, then got started in a little MUni once I finished
    learning to drive.

    --
    gkmac
    gkmac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4577

  9. Unitik908

    Unitik908 Guest

    wheel i never got to level 7 or 8 becuase my 20 inch broke in march but
    between x mas and march so i only had a 28inch sun... i didnt get a KH
    but i am getting a DX for x mas.. but i did get a coker.. first ride
    was right around 26 miles.. so yeah i didnt keep them very well.. but
    this year i will have a strong 20" so they are pretty much gonna be the
    same

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    R.I.P James Doohan
    R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
    R.I.P Peter Jennings
    R.I.P Pope John Paul II
    R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
    YAMS

    -last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -

  10. tomsey

    tomsey Guest

    180 bluntslide. -check

    flipslide a handrail. -nope

    do the 16stair drop rail ive been looking at for a while. -damn rail!
    nope

    crankflip the most stairs in the world. it stands at 7 at the moment -
    nope and its like 8 now

    crankflip to grind- check

    360unispin to grind.- check

    get completely consisent with right foot grinds. -check

    540s- nope

    release my 2nd video- nope

    and 100cm rolling hops- check

    hahaha damn... i set a hard list. some i didnt even try (like 540s and
    flipslide a rail)

    but i got 5 out of 10 tricks done.... so %50

    --
    tomsey

    damn you, damn the brocholli and damn the wright brothers!
    tomsey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7038

  11. GILD

    GILD Guest

    JJuggle wrote:
    > Have knee surgery, so I can ride again.
    >
    > so, stop bugging me gild

    This is the one I'm most curious about.

    i never saw this in the first place jjuggle so sorry for bugging you
    thru-out the year.

    --
    GILD

    'three short gs and a long e-flatâ„¢'
    (http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'map'
    (http://www.frappr.com/unicycleworld)
    _if_i'm_murdered,_don't_execute_my_killer._
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

  12. underdog

    underdog Guest

    Giving this one a bump since we really are getting down to the end of
    the year. Click the link in my first post in this thread to check your
    resolutions from the beginning of the year.

    --
    underdog

    'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
    tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
    underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

  13. GILD

    GILD Guest

    I'm safe.

    --
    GILD

    'three short gs and a long e-flatâ„¢'
    (http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'map'
    (http://www.frappr.com/unicycleworld)
    _if_i'm_murdered,_don't_execute_my_killer._
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

  14. billham

    billham Guest

    My goals and outcome......
    1. 1,000 miles on my Coker - Did 724 miles. I dropped this goal when
    I found it was taking the fun out of riding.
    2. A 50 mile ride on my Coker - Never attempted.
    3. Attend NAUCC in Ohio (my first NAUCC) - I went and had a blast!
    4. Pass level 5 before or at NAUCC - Past level 5 this past November.
    5. Finish organization of start up unicycle club - The Wonders
    Unicycle Club is alive and well!
    6. Two practices a week for uni club - decided to stay at 1 per week.
    7. Average weekly attendance at uni club of 25 by end of the year (we
    are averaging 12 - 15 at present) - Average attendance has been 15 - 20
    this year.
    8. Ride down set of 10 steps on my MUni - Comfortable with 5, didn't
    try 10.
    9. 4 foot drop on my MUni (best measured drop is 42" at present) -
    didn't attempt it.
    10. Stop working on bigger drops on my MUni (after 4 foot drop!) -
    Maybe stop before 4 foot drop.

    It's been a great year! some of these goals helped me get better and
    helped me to improve my skills. Others fell by the wayside. My best
    accomplishment this year has been the growth of The Wonders Unicycle
    Club and to see the many riders in our club getting better. I love to
    hear one of our riders say, "I did it!"

    Bill

    --
    billham
    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

  15. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

  16. > Originally posted by forrestunifreak
    > "For me:
    >
    > 1. learn to pedal grab to rubber,then:
    >
    > 2. learn to grind
    >
    > 3. learn to ww 1 footed
    >
    > 4. then learn to glide
    >
    > 5. ride backwards 1 footed
    >
    > 6. rolling hop more than 22"
    >
    > 7. seat in front side hop 20"
    >
    > 8. learn to unispin
    >
    > 9. 360 off of higher things "

    Psssh, EASY!

    I got most of those in a few months....

    --
    forrestunifreak

    "I never thought I'd hear myself saying this but if it comes down to
    blue nipples that are (weak), or plain strong ones, I'll most likely go
    for the blue ones..."~Andrew Carter

    you cant read this!
    'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)