HP Velotechnic Speed Machine vs V-Rex - Experience

Dakker

Guest
Hi All,

I am considering purchasing a HP Velotechnic Speed Machine. Currently I am ridding a Rans V-Rex. My
wife is riding a Rans Vivo.

Basically we are looking for a replacement for the 9 month old Vivo (3700 kms). The Vivo has been in
the shop numerous times. I like to all my own repairs, but it was under warranty. We still having
problems with it, (poor shifting, poor brakes). We have just replaced the rims, (front and back) as
the side was peeling off. While the Vivo was in getting fixed, I loan her my V-Rex; She loved it,
(likes the additional speed). So we were thinking of getting another V-Rex, but I would prefer to
try something else. The other day I met a guy with a Speed Machine, and he was telling how great it
was. The reviews rave about it, but then when you look up the V-Rex, and Vivo the reviews basically
say how great they are. And, I don't think much of the Vivo, (of course it's being compared to the
V-Rex). So now I am looking at the Speed Machine. I would like to know if anyone out there has
ridden both the V-Rex and the Speed Machine, If so what was the speed, comfort differences?

Question for all you V-Rexers, what does your bike weight? I weighted mine tonight and weight just
exactly 40 lbs, (this includes the following components: 2 water bottle holders, Muller fairing,
bike rack, large front light, back flashing light, computer, lock holder - no lock, pump holder - no
pump, battery holder - no battery, cloth little pouch, kick stand - lite weight - alum). From what I
read, the Speed Machine is heavy, 35 lbs dry, the V-Rex 28 lbs dry. I just find it hard to believe
that the V-Rex only weights 28 lbs, (that would mean that I have 12 lbs of extras - ouch). Does
anyone know the real weight of a V-Rex?

Dakker

"Dakker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> weight - alum). From what I read, the Speed Machine is heavy, 35 lbs dry, the V-Rex 28 lbs dry. I
> just find it hard to believe that the V-Rex only weights 28 lbs, (that would mean that I have 12
> lbs of extras - ouch). Does anyone know the real weight of a V-Rex?

I weighed a V-Rex XL without pedals on an accurate scale at 16.35 kg (30 lbs. 2 oz.). With the stock
pedals it weighs 14.15 kg (31 lbs. 4 oz.). A standard frame V-Rex would be slightly lighter but
still over 30 lbs. with pedals.

Zach Kaplan

A local RANS dealer near Atlanta wieghs the bikes after assembly and puts the weight on the price
tag. The assembled, and stripped down, V-Rex weighed in at 28 lbs. The Streetmachine stripped down
probably weighs over 40 lbs., and that is before you equip it with all your stuff. I sat on a
Streetmachine (met a rider on the Silver Comet Trail) and it felt great. I think on a flat trail you
would like it. It's probably a pig on the hills. The Streetmachine I saw didn't move too fast, but
the rider wasn't in a hurry either. It appeared VERY well made though. One thing about bikes like
the Streemachine--and possibly a Ryan bike--is that they seem to be able to carry weight well. It
looks made for self-contained touring.

I ride a Lightning Phantom II and love it. You may want to take a look. When I was trying out SWB
bikes, it was the only one I liked more than the V-Rex. BTW, the V-Rex is a very good bike--you
already know that. Search for some of my past postings.

"Dakker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi All,
>
> I am considering purchasing a HP Velotechnic Speed Machine. Currently I am ridding a Rans V-Rex.
> My wife is riding a Rans Vivo.
>
> Basically we are looking for a replacement for the 9 month old Vivo (3700 kms). The Vivo has been
> in the shop numerous times. I like to all my own repairs, but it was under warranty. We still
> having problems with it, (poor shifting, poor brakes). We have just replaced the rims, (front and
> back) as the side was peeling off. While the Vivo was in getting fixed, I loan her my V-Rex; She
> loved it, (likes the additional speed). So we were thinking of getting another V-Rex, but I would
> prefer to try something else. The other day I met a guy with a Speed Machine, and he was telling
> how great it was. The reviews rave about it, but then when you look up the V-Rex, and Vivo the
> reviews basically say how great they are. And, I don't think much of the Vivo, (of course it's
> being compared to the V-Rex). So now I am looking at the Speed Machine. I would like to know if
> anyone out there has ridden both the V-Rex and the Speed Machine, If so what was the speed,
> comfort differences?
>
> Question for all you V-Rexers, what does your bike weight? I weighted mine tonight and weight just
> exactly 40 lbs, (this includes the following components: 2 water bottle holders, Muller fairing,
> bike rack, large front light, back flashing light, computer, lock holder - no lock, pump holder -
> no pump, battery holder - no battery, cloth little pouch, kick stand - lite weight - alum). From
> what I read, the Speed Machine is heavy, 35 lbs dry, the V-Rex 28 lbs dry. I just find it hard to
> believe that the V-Rex only weights 28 lbs, (that would mean that I have 12 lbs of extras - ouch).
> Does anyone know the real weight of a V-Rex?
>
> Dakker

For those who read this thread later and wonder about a different opinion, I tried the V-Rex
extensively before choosing my Vivo, as well as a large number of other recumbents. I am positive
the Vivo was the best choice for
me. Other than replacing the SRAM brakes because they rusted to the point of not working properly
(I live next to the ocean, so no surprise), I have had no other problems with the bike. It is
remarkably well-built, and rides and handles well. Perhaps Dakker's Vivo was not built up
right by the shop he got it from. In any case, the V-Rex and Vivo are significantly different
bikes for different goals. The Vivo is a bike built for a specific purpose, and is slower and
heavier than most recumbents. If someone's looking for something else, the bike will never
make them happy.

Now I'm gonna go ride.

--
David Luecke Ridin' a RANS Vivo (wahoo!) Merritt Island, Florida USA

On 9 Feb 2003 09:31:27 -0800, [email protected] (Bobinator) wrote:

>A local RANS dealer near Atlanta wieghs the bikes after assembly and puts the weight on the price
>tag. The assembled, and stripped down, V-Rex weighed in at 28 lbs. The Streetmachine stripped down
>probably weighs over 40 lbs., and that is before you equip it with all your stuff. I sat on a
>Streetmachine (met a rider on the Silver Comet Trail) and it felt great. I think on a flat trail
>you would like it. It's probably a pig on the hills.

European suspended 'bents are often heavy - see this month's BROL for the Stinger (my bike) which
also tips the scales at 40lb. Is it a pig on hills? Not really. Well, with the stock 12-25 cassette
it was a bit challenging but with a more rational cogset I just climbed Sulham Hill, a local slope
of some notoriety, with power to spare. I've known long-time tourists have to get off and push their
wedgies up that one.

To be fair these bikes are really designed for everyday riding not hill climb races. The 2003 SMGT
is full-sus with a Euro hardshell seat and definitely built to last. The suspension is nice on bad
roads, though :)

Just my £0.02

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

[email protected] (Zach Kaplan Cycles) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Dakker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > weight - alum). From what I read, the Speed Machine is heavy, 35 lbs dry, the V-Rex 28 lbs dry.
> > I just find it hard to believe that the V-Rex only weights 28 lbs, (that would mean that I have
> > 12 lbs of extras - ouch). Does anyone know the real weight of a V-Rex?
>
> I weighed a V-Rex XL without pedals on an accurate scale at 16.35 kg (30 lbs. 2 oz.). With the
> stock pedals it weighs 14.15 kg (31 lbs. 4 oz.). A standard frame V-Rex would be slightly lighter
> but still over 30 lbs. with pedals.
>
> Zach Kaplan

Zach's numbers are very close to what my V-Rex XL weighed right about 31 t0 31.5 lbs with a few
changes Velocity rims, Pantour front hub and bebop pedals and Cateye Astrale computer.

Pat

Dakker wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am considering purchasing a HP Velotechnic Speed Machine. Currently I am ridding a Rans V-Rex.
> My wife is riding a Rans Vivo.
>
> Basically we are looking for a replacement for the 9 month old Vivo (3700 kms). The Vivo has been
> in the shop numerous times. I like to all my own repairs, but it was under warranty. We still
> having problems with it, (poor shifting, poor brakes). We have just replaced the rims, (front and
> back) as the side was peeling off. While the Vivo was in getting fixed, I loan her my V-Rex; She
> loved it, (likes the additional speed). So we were thinking of getting another V-Rex, but I would
> prefer to try something else. The other day I met a guy with a Speed Machine, and he was telling
> how great it was. The reviews rave about it, but then when you look up the V-Rex, and Vivo the
> reviews basically say how great they are. And, I don't think much of the Vivo, (of course it's
> being compared to the V-Rex). So now I am looking at the Speed Machine. I would like to know if
> anyone out there has ridden both the V-Rex and the Speed Machine, If so what was the speed,
> comfort differences?
>
> Question for all you V-Rexers, what does your bike weight? I weighted mine tonight and weight just
> exactly 40 lbs, (this includes the following components: 2 water bottle holders, Muller fairing,
> bike rack, large front light, back flashing light, computer, lock holder - no lock, pump holder -
> no pump, battery holder - no battery, cloth little pouch, kick stand - lite weight - alum). From
> what I read, the Speed Machine is heavy, 35 lbs dry, the V-Rex 28 lbs dry. I just find it hard to
> believe that the V-Rex only weights 28 lbs, (that would mean that I have 12 lbs of extras - ouch).
> Does anyone know the real weight of a V-Rex?

My V-Rex24, stripped, weighed 28.5 pounds. That was before I added the 3x7 hub, water bottle cages,
kickstand, changed the tires, and most significantly, threw on the seat bag.

If you want something between a V-Rex and a SpeedMachine, another bike to consider would be
a Barcroft.

Don't forget, this is the "new" Vivo (I believe). A completely different bike than the pre-2002
model (enough different that they probably should have called it something else, IMHO). I own a 2000
Vivo, and you wouldn't get me to own a newer version if you paid me. Granted, the front shock is
about 2.5lbs heavier than a stock fork, and the rear suspension (including the extra framing
required) probably adds another 1.5lbs. But if you want comfort, fully suspended is the way to go.

Also, I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong), that Zach rides a Street or Speedmachine for his
everyday bike (or used to), and the hills around San Francisco aren't exactly highway overpasses...

Another avenue would be to add a Pantour hub to a V-Rex, and then you'd have a suspended version of
the fastest bike in RANS' inventory (per John Schlitter). I'm getting ready to dump the ballistic
fork on my Vivo to go with that set up. I'd also consider an M5 Shockproof (the titanium version
does look sweet)if you want to stay suspended and also want the speed.

Regards -- DP

Dakker, stick with old Rex. i've been riding bents for almost 20 years, owning 41 bents, and i'm
back to riding a new 2001 V rex! [I got the 2001 because i prefered the color, and the old style
seat rail]

John Foltz wrote:
> Dakker wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am considering purchasing a HP Velotechnic Speed Machine. Currently I am ridding a Rans V-Rex.
>> My wife is riding a Rans Vivo.
>>
>> Basically we are looking for a replacement for the 9 month old Vivo (3700 kms). The Vivo has been
>> in the shop numerous times. I like to all my own repairs, but it was under warranty. We still
>> having problems with it, (poor shifting, poor brakes). We have just replaced the rims, (front and
>> back) as the side was peeling off. While the Vivo was in getting fixed, I loan her my V-Rex; She
>> loved it, (likes the additional speed). So we were thinking of getting another V-Rex, but I would
>> prefer to try something else. The other day I met a guy with a Speed Machine, and he was telling
>> how great it was. The reviews rave about it, but then when you look up the V-Rex, and Vivo the
>> reviews basically say how great they are. And, I don't think much of the Vivo, (of course it's
>> being compared to the V-Rex). So now I am looking at the Speed Machine. I would like to know if
>> anyone out there has ridden both the V-Rex and the Speed Machine, If so what was the speed,
>> comfort differences?
>>
>> Question for all you V-Rexers, what does your bike weight? I weighted mine tonight and weight
>> just exactly 40 lbs, (this includes the following components: 2 water bottle holders, Muller
>> fairing, bike rack, large front light, back flashing light, computer, lock holder - no lock, pump
>> holder - no pump, battery holder - no battery, cloth little pouch, kick stand - lite weight -
>> alum). From what I read, the Speed Machine is heavy, 35 lbs dry, the V-Rex 28 lbs dry. I just
>> find it hard to believe that the V-Rex only weights 28 lbs, (that would mean that I have 12 lbs
>> of extras - ouch). Does anyone know the real weight of a V-Rex?
>>
> My V-Rex24, stripped, weighed 28.5 pounds. That was before I added the 3x7 hub, water bottle
> cages, kickstand, changed the tires, and most significantly, threw on the seat bag.
>
> If you want something between a V-Rex and a SpeedMachine, another bike to consider would be a
> Barcroft.

"David Luecke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> For those who read this thread later and wonder about a different opinion, I tried the V-Rex
> extensively before choosing my Vivo, as well as a large number of other recumbents. I am positive
> the Vivo was the best choice for
> me. Other than replacing the SRAM brakes because they rusted to the point of not working properly
> (I live next to the ocean, so no surprise), I have had no other problems with the bike. It is
> remarkably well-built, and rides and handles well. Perhaps Dakker's Vivo was not built up
> right by the shop he got it from. In any case, the V-Rex and Vivo are significantly different
> bikes for different goals. The Vivo is a bike built for a specific purpose, and is slower and
> heavier than most recumbents. If someone's looking for something else, the bike will never
> make them happy.
>
> Now I'm gonna go ride.

Dave.....I agree with you. The bike must have been set up wrong. I also ride a Vivo and have had
zero problems with it. It is a super long ride bike, because of it's great comfort. When I want
to ride big miles I ride my Vivo.

"David Luecke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> For those who read this thread later and wonder about a different opinion, I tried the V-Rex
> extensively before choosing my Vivo, as well as a large number of other recumbents. I am positive
> the Vivo was the best choice for
> me. Other than replacing the SRAM brakes because they rusted to the point of not working properly
> (I live next to the ocean, so no surprise), I have had no other problems with the bike. It is
> remarkably well-built, and rides and handles well. Perhaps Dakker's Vivo was not built up
> right by the shop he got it from. In any case, the V-Rex and Vivo are significantly different
> bikes for different goals. The Vivo is a bike built for a specific purpose, and is slower and
> heavier than most recumbents. If someone's looking for something else, the bike will never
> make them happy.
>
> Now I'm gonna go ride.

I rode a V-Rex for 3600 miles and think it is one of the best bikes out there. When I was looking to
replace it I tried the Speedmachine. My suggestion, albeit basic, is to make sure you ride this
bike. I had a devil of a time keeping upright on it. I couldn't get it out of the parking lot. I
kept falling over. This is me and I am sure there are many many riders who love it and ride it with
no problem, but for some reason I have a difficult time with the lower bikes. I finally ended up
with a Barcroft Virginia GT, which is low too, but not as low, and has a lot of the feel of the
V-Rex. Good luck.

Dennis Pedrick wrote:

> Also, I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong), that Zach rides a Street or Speedmachine for his
> everyday bike (or used to), and the hills around San Francisco aren't exactly highway
> overpasses....

As I understand it, Zach Kaplan has been riding mostly trikes recently, but he has also rediscovered
what a great bike the Earth Cycles Sunset
is. :)

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

mike s wrote:

> I rode a V-Rex for 3600 miles and think it is one of the best bikes out there. When I was looking
> to replace it I tried the Speedmachine. My suggestion, albeit basic, is to make sure you ride this
> bike. I had a devil of a time keeping upright on it. I couldn't get it out of the parking lot. I
> kept falling over. This is me and I am sure there are many many riders who love it and ride it
> with no problem, but for some reason I have a difficult time with the lower bikes. I finally ended
> up with a Barcroft Virginia GT, which is low too, but not as low, and has a lot of the feel of the
> V-Rex. Good luck.

I agree with Mike that the RANS V-Rex is one of the best all around bikes, and I believe that it
would be a good choice for someone who only wants to have one bike. However, the RANS Rocket should
be ridden by prospective V-Rex purchasers, as to their surprise they might find out they actually
prefer the less expensive Rocket.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

I own a 2001 V-rex, and a 2002 Rocket, the Rocket is a fantastic bike, the V-rex is better, slightly
faster, and a more cushy ride.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> mike s wrote:
>
>>I rode a V-Rex for 3600 miles and think it is one of the best bikes out there. When I was looking
>>to replace it I tried the Speedmachine. My suggestion, albeit basic, is to make sure you ride this
>>bike. I had a devil of a time keeping upright on it. I couldn't get it out of the parking lot. I
>>kept falling over. This is me and I am sure there are many many riders who love it and ride it
>>with no problem, but for some reason I have a difficult time with the lower bikes. I finally ended
>>up with a Barcroft Virginia GT, which is low too, but not as low, and has a lot of the feel of the
>>V-Rex. Good luck.
>

> I agree with Mike that the RANS V-Rex is one of the best all around bikes, and I believe that it
> would be a good choice for someone who only wants to have one bike. However, the RANS Rocket
> should be ridden by prospective V-Rex purchasers, as to their surprise they might find out they
> actually prefer the less expensive Rocket.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

> The Vivo is a bike built for a specific purpose,
> and is slower and heavier than most recumbents.

From John Schlitter, co-founder of RANS and now co-founder of Bacchetta (as archived in the
"Fast!!Vivo" thread in this newsgroup)(written at the time he owned the Bike Depot in Hays, KS after
leaving RANS):

From: John Schlitter ([email protected]) Subject: Re: Fast!! Vivo View: Complete Thread (24
articles) Original Format Newsgroups: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Date: 2001-02-13 15:01:38 PST

I agree with Jeff, the Vivo is way under praised for its speed. When I was putting R&D miles on the
Vivo back in my days at RANS there was quite a few group rides that I would attack on the last big
hill and solo in the last four miles of the ride. I've said this before if I could only own one
recumbent it would be the Vivo, good on the pavement and good off the pavement. Miss my Vivo and
counting the days they're back in stock.

John

bentbiker wrote:

> I own a 2001 V-rex, and a 2002 Rocket, the Rocket is a fantastic bike, the V-rex is better,
> slightly faster, and a more cushy ride.

I prefer the Rocket to the V-Rex due to handling qualities, but this is purely subjective. Another
consideration is for the price of a V-Rex; one could get a Rocket frameset ($750 US) and have $850
left over for components. However, the Rocket and V-Rex are close enough objectively, I would
recommend a prospective purchaser ride both and choose the one that feels best.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

Guess what! I have a Speedmachine for a week to test. Can you believe it!

I met a guy riding one about 2 weeks ago. I told that I was interested in the Speedmachine; I told
him that I would like to take his bike for a spin one day; Later he tells me that he's hurt himself
and to take the bike for a week and try it out.

My wife is trying it out first. So far she likes it. (Her current ride is the Vivo).

"Dakker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi All,
>
> I am considering purchasing a HP Velotechnic Speed Machine. Currently I
am
> ridding a Rans V-Rex. My wife is riding a Rans Vivo.
>
> Basically we are looking for a replacement for the 9 month old Vivo (3700 kms). The Vivo has been
> in the shop numerous times. I like to all my own repairs, but it was under warranty. We still
> having problems with it,
(poor
> shifting, poor brakes). We have just replaced the rims, (front and back)
as
> the side was peeling off. While the Vivo was in getting fixed, I loan her my V-Rex; She loved it,
> (likes the additional speed). So we were
thinking
> of getting another V-Rex, but I would prefer to try something else. The other day I met a guy with
> a Speed Machine, and he was telling how great
it
> was. The reviews rave about it, but then when you look up the V-Rex, and Vivo the reviews
> basically say how great they are. And, I don't think
much
> of the Vivo, (of course it's being compared to the V-Rex). So now I am looking at the Speed
> Machine. I would like to know if anyone out there
has
> ridden both the V-Rex and the Speed Machine, If so what was the speed, comfort differences?
>
> Question for all you V-Rexers, what does your bike weight? I weighted
mine
> tonight and weight just exactly 40 lbs, (this includes the following components: 2 water bottle
> holders, Muller fairing, bike rack, large front light, back flashing light, computer, lock holder
> - no lock, pump holder - no pump, battery holder - no battery, cloth little pouch, kick stand -
lite
> weight - alum). From what I read, the Speed Machine is heavy, 35 lbs dry, the V-Rex 28 lbs dry. I
> just find it hard to believe that the V-Rex only weights 28 lbs, (that would mean that I have 12
> lbs of extras - ouch).
Does
> anyone know the real weight of a V-Rex?
>
> Dakker

The bike moves.

There is no doubt that the Speed Machine is a faster bike than the V-Rex. At high speeds, it's a
little sensitive, but you can get used to it. The ride is awesome, truly amazing. I think it even
out climbs the V-Rex. I did find it a little cramped in the cockpit. The speed machine has better
components than the V-Rex and therefore shifts better, and the braking (thanks to disc brakes),
is awesome.

The good:
- the bike really wants to go and is fast
- corners very well
- rides exceptionally well

The bad:
- what will the maintenance be like on all those chain guards?
- my ass still hurts, (I think the seat was not my size, or my butt is too large) -

> [...]
> > ridden both the V-Rex and the Speed Machine, If so what was the speed, comfort differences?
> >
> > Question for all you V-Rexers, what does your bike weight? I weighted
> mine
> > tonight and weight just exactly 40 lbs, (this includes the following components: 2 water bottle
> > holders, Muller fairing, bike rack, large
front
> > light, back flashing light, computer, lock holder - no lock, pump
holder -
> > no pump, battery holder - no battery, cloth little pouch, kick stand -
> lite
> > weight - alum). From what I read, the Speed Machine is heavy, 35 lbs
dry,
> > the V-Rex 28 lbs dry. I just find it hard to believe that the V-Rex
only
> > weights 28 lbs, (that would mean that I have 12 lbs of extras - ouch).

Dakker Thanks for your comments. Did you buy a Speed Machine? I'm looking for one as well. I'd
appreciate a reply to [email protected]. Yours, Michael Talley