HPV advice needed.

Peter Clinch wrote:
> USS is arguably more relaxed (but there's no weight on your upper
> body with either) and at least in my case allows a rolling dismount
> rather than stopping and extricating oneself from bike in two
> different operations. Plus it looks cooler, as you say! ;-)

I would add that it's very hard to hurt yourself falling off a USS bent.
The handlebar forms a cage that hits the ground first, rather than
slamming your hip into the tarmac.

I've come off the Street Machine a few times on ice, I've never had any
damage to myself or my clothes.

"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

Carol Hague wrote:
> We are. We're also in Derbyshire these days :)
>
> Thanks for the mention. :)

I think you need a url in your signature, Carol. Something like
http://wrhpv.com/

Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:

> Carol Hague wrote:
> > We are. We're also in Derbyshire these days :)
> >
> > Thanks for the mention. :)

> I think you need a url in your signature, Carol. Something like
> http://wrhpv.com/

I am a lazy being. Also forgetful. Thanks.

--
Carol
"The glassblower's cat is bompstable"

In article <[email protected]>, Danny
Colyer
[email protected] says...

> I would add that it's very hard to hurt yourself falling off a USS bent.
> The handlebar forms a cage that hits the ground first, rather than
> slamming your hip into the tarmac.

As long as you get your hand out of the way. And isn't it more likely
to pitch you on your head (admittedly from a lesser height)?

Rob Morley twisted the electrons to say:
> In article <[email protected]>, Danny
> Colyer [email protected] says...
> > I would add that it's very hard to hurt yourself falling off a USS bent.
> > The handlebar forms a cage that hits the ground first, rather than
> > slamming your hip into the tarmac.

> As long as you get your hand out of the way. And isn't it more likely
> to pitch you on your head (admittedly from a lesser height)?

Assuming it's a slow speed fall, then you'll probably instinctively take
your hand off to try and break your fall? At least the 3 times I can
remember falling off sideways on my Streetmachine[1] I don't remember
getting my hand trapped.

[1] Though they where all slow speed - once on ice, one failure to unclip
and one bizarre one when I managed to get the front wheel off the
ground when starting (and I've no idea how I managed that last one!).

I wrote:
>>I would add that it's very hard to hurt yourself falling off a USS bent.
>> The handlebar forms a cage that hits the ground first, rather than
>>slamming your hip into the tarmac.

and Rob Morley responded:
> As long as you get your hand out of the way.

Trust me, that just happens. There may, of course, be someone out there
who would instinctively grip the handlebar tightly when the bike falls
over, but it's not me.

Recumbents (or the SM, at any rate) are steered with a gentle touch on
the bar, rather than a death grip.

> And isn't it more likely
> to pitch you on your head (admittedly from a lesser height)?

I can't imagine how. If the bike falls over then I'll tend to land
mostly on one foot, if the bike disappears from beneath me (as on ice)
then I'll fall straight down from my riding position and land on my ****.

Rob Morley wrote:

> As long as you get your hand out of the way. And isn't it more likely
> to pitch you on your head (admittedly from a lesser height)?

"more likely" yes, but that's not very likely, so IMHO a non-issue. And
OTOH you're not going to have any festive entanglements with the bars
with any parts of your anatomy.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch twisted the electrons to say:
> OTOH you're not going to have any festive entanglements with the bars
> with any parts of your anatomy.

There is one possible exception to the above comment, which I would
otherwise agree with. The USS version of the HPVelotechnik Speedmachine
would appear to offer "possibilities" in this area, not specifically with
the handlebars obviously but housing on top of the headset ...

http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/more_info3.shtml

Alistair Gunn wrote:

> There is one possible exception to the above comment, which I would
> otherwise agree with. The USS version of the HPVelotechnik Speedmachine
> would appear to offer "possibilities" in this area, not specifically with
> the handlebars obviously but housing on top of the headset ...
>
> http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/more_info3.shtml

Indeed. If you're wondering why the knob, I think it's the top end of
the headshock suspension unit. The original Speedmachine didn't have a
USS option.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch twisted the electrons to say:
> Indeed. If you're wondering why the knob, I think it's the top end of
> the headshock suspension unit. The original Speedmachine didn't have a
> USS option.

<nods> The top of it also rotates with the steering, which was a mildly
distracting at first when I had a go on Darth Ben's demo Speedmachined!

In article <[email protected]>, Danny
Colyer
[email protected] says...
> I wrote:

<snip>
> > And isn't it more likely
> > to pitch you on your head (admittedly from a lesser height)?

> I can't imagine how. If the bike falls over then I'll tend to land
> mostly on one foot, if the bike disappears from beneath me (as on ice)
> then I'll fall straight down from my riding position and land on my ****.

I was thinking that you have less time to put your hand out, and when
the edge of the seat hit the road you might pivot from the hip. I've
never fallen off a recumbent, I've never seen anyone fall off a
recumbent, I was just trying to visualise it ...
:)

Rob Morley wrote:

> I've
> never fallen off a recumbent, I've never seen anyone fall off a
> recumbent, I was just trying to visualise it ...

I don't think I've ever fallen /off/ one, though I've had a few
incidents with one sliding out underneath me, but on each occasion I've
ended up lying in the road, still in the seat, rather than lying in the
road distinct from my bike.

Did manage a spot of road rash on the old (above seat steered) Orbit
when I was wearing wrap-over style running shorts when finally
discovering the cornering /wasn't/ unburstable after all (about 100
degree bend after a downhill run that I hadn't done any braking for),
but nothing worse. Roos managed a minor cut or two when it hers went
from under her at speed (combination of wet cornering at speed and we
think maybe a patch of diesel).

Overall I think it's fair to say I've found my unplanned encounters with
the ground over the years rather more benign from the 'bent than any of
the uprights.

Pete.
--

Danny Colyer wrote:
> Carol Hague wrote:
>> We are. We're also in Derbyshire these days :)
>>
>> Thanks for the mention. :)

> I think you need a url in your signature, Carol. Something like
> http://wrhpv.com/

I can think of few other places where people need to be told to
advertise their products by others. What a civilised place we must be. ;)

Ambrose Nankivell <firstname+'n'@gmail.com> wrote:

> Danny Colyer wrote:
> > Carol Hague wrote:
> >> We are. We're also in Derbyshire these days :)
> >>
> >> Thanks for the mention. :)

> > I think you need a url in your signature, Carol. Something like
> > http://wrhpv.com/
> >

> I can think of few other places where people need to be told to
> advertise their products by others. What a civilised place we must be. ;)

Well, I don't like to bang on about it all the time, in case it annoys
people.

I tend to only put the URL in (when I remember at all) when I've got my
trike dealers hat on, to show that a) I have at least a vague idea what
I'm talking about and b) I'm not entirely unbiased - it would be
disingenuous of me to give advice about recumbent trikes without
mentioning that I sell a particular manufacturer's products and am
therefore biased in their favour.

--

Ambrose Nankivell wrote on 29/05/2007 13:36 +0100:
> Danny Colyer wrote:
>> Carol Hague wrote:
>>> We are. We're also in Derbyshire these days :)
>>>
>>> Thanks for the mention. :)

>> I think you need a url in your signature, Carol. Something like
>> http://wrhpv.com/
>>

> I can think of few other places where people need to be told to
> advertise their products by others. What a civilised place we must be. ;)

In this country we naively believe Emerson when he said "If you invent a
better mousetrap the world will beat a path to your door" whereas what
he should have said is "If you invent a better mousetrap you will still
have to beat a path to the world's door"

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Carol Hague wrote on 29/05/2007 13:44 +0100:

> I tend to only put the URL in (when I remember at all) when I've got my
> trike dealers hat on, to show that a) I have at least a vague idea what
> I'm talking about

You've not come across Buck (of Catrike) then?

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

On Tue, 29 May 2007 13:44:15 +0100 someone who may be
[email protected] (Carol Hague) wrote this:-

>> > I think you need a url in your signature, Carol. Something like
>> > http://wrhpv.com/
>> >

>> I can think of few other places where people need to be told to
>> advertise their products by others. What a civilised place we must be. ;)

>Well, I don't like to bang on about it all the time, in case it annoys
>people.

I doubt if it would annoy anyone who is not a troll. I think you
should put it in your signature and let people decide how to
interpret your postings.

It would be a different matter if you made hundreds of postings a
day just saying how wonderful the products you sell are. Then people
would get annoyed.

>it would be
>disingenuous of me to give advice about recumbent trikes without
>mentioning that I sell a particular manufacturer's products and am
>therefore biased in their favour.

Change that to might be biased in their favour and I would agree.

For the record I am unlikely to buy a recumbent trike. However, if I
was to do so then Carol would be one of the people I would speak to
before deciding.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> Carol Hague wrote on 29/05/2007 13:44 +0100:
> >
> > I tend to only put the URL in (when I remember at all) when I've got my
> > trike dealers hat on, to show that a) I have at least a vague idea what
> > I'm talking about

> You've not come across Buck (of Catrike) then?

You might say that. I couldn't possibly comment. :)
--

David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I can think of few other places where people need to be told to
> >> advertise their products by others. What a civilised place we must be. ;)

> >Well, I don't like to bang on about it all the time, in case it annoys
> >people.

> I doubt if it would annoy anyone who is not a troll. I think you
> should put it in your signature and let people decide how to
> interpret your postings.

The main reason it's not there is that I post to a number of groups and
this one is the only one it would really be relevant to (although
several of the others have had trike discussions on occasion).

I'll try to remember to bung it in when I post here in future. I don't
post all *that* much so it shouldn't be too hard to remember, even for a
Carol Of Very Little Brain :)

> It would be a different matter if you made hundreds of postings a
> day just saying how wonderful the products you sell are. Then people
> would get annoyed.

Yes - I've seen what happens to the eejits trying to promote their
(usually self-published) novels over ob rec.arts.sf.written :)

> For the record I am unlikely to buy a recumbent trike. However, if I
> was to do so then Carol would be one of the people I would speak to
> before deciding.

Thank you.

--
Carol
"The glassblower's cat is bompstable"
- Dorothy L. Sayers, _Clouds of Witness_
http://www.wrhpv.com

In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
[email protected]lid says...

> In this country we naively believe Emerson when he said "If you invent a
> better mousetrap the world will beat a path to your door" whereas what
> he should have said is "If you invent a better mousetrap you will still
> have to beat a path to the world's door"

Or "If you produce a foolproof design, the world will produce a better
fool."