HPV world record wattage

Chris

Guest
I'm a long time cyclist/roadie who has recently become interested in recumbents and the whole hpv
scene. I was curious if anyone knew what kind of wattage the guys are pushing through the 80 mph
runs at Battle mountain?

Thanks Chris

Hi there,

Sam Whittingham - the guy who holds the record - posted his SRM data for two of the runs in 2003 on
his website. The URL is http://www.fortebikes.com/2003_Battle_Mt.htm

Cheers Neil Team Varna "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BC543B55.11490%[email protected]...
> I'm a long time cyclist/roadie who has recently become interested in recumbents and the whole hpv
> scene. I was curious if anyone knew what kind of wattage the guys are pushing through the 80 mph
> runs at Battle
mountain?

> Thanks Chris

I was told by one of the competitors to expect 700 watts for 3 minutes...UGH!!

I used to be quite a climber (won't say how many years ago that was), and I doubt I ever put out
anywhere close to 700 watts for even a short burst. 350 watts is a very strong rider. Makes me
wonder if these guys are taking horse steroids.

-Rick

"Sbtypesetter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was told by one of the competitors to expect 700 watts for 3 minutes...UGH!!
>
> I used to be quite a climber (won't say how many years ago that was), and I doubt I ever put out
> anywhere close to 700 watts for even a short burst. 350 watts is a very strong rider. Makes me
> wonder if these guys are taking horse steroids.
>
> -Rick

Horse steroids indeed! One horsepower equals 745.7 watts, last time I checked. For a human to
produce 700 watts for three minutes would require extraordinary cardio-pulmonary capacity, but I
guess it's possible for some people; certainly not for me!
--
Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 26x26 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

"Bill Anton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<AH4Yb.26453$Q_4.12056@okepread03>...
> "Sbtypesetter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040216005608.01682.00000404@mb-
> m24.aol.com...
> > I was told by one of the competitors to expect 700 watts for 3 minutes...UGH!!
> >
> > I used to be quite a climber (won't say how many years ago that was), and I doubt I ever put out
> > anywhere close to 700 watts for even a short burst. 350 watts is a very strong rider. Makes me
> > wonder if these guys are taking horse steroids.
> >
> > -Rick
>
> Horse steroids indeed! One horsepower equals 745.7 watts, last time I checked. For a human to
> produce 700 watts for three minutes would require extraordinary cardio-pulmonary capacity, but I
> guess it's possible for some people; certainly not for me!

Extraordinary, yeah: http://www.duathlon.com/articles/1406 Lance's one tough nut...

Jeff

What a heart. Check it out: Resting heart rate: 32-34. The image comes to mind of an idling 7.5L big-
block V8 with a racing cam... or perhaps one of those old river boats (like in that Humphrey Bogart
movie) with an engine that idles at 100 RPM -- except that in Lance's case that engine doesn't
redline 'till 12,000 RPM. Wonder how long he'll be able to stay in that kind of shape? And at what
cost? He's already lost his wife--shame.
--
Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 26x26 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

"Jeff Wills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Bill Anton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > "Sbtypesetter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040216005608.01682.00000404@mb-
> > m24.aol.com...
> > > I was told by one of the competitors to expect 700 watts for 3 minutes...UGH!!
> > >
> > > I used to be quite a climber (won't say how many years ago that was), and I doubt I ever put
> > > out anywhere close to 700 watts for even a short burst. 350 watts is a very strong rider.
> > > Makes me wonder if these guys are taking horse steroids.
> > >
> > > -Rick
> >
> > Horse steroids indeed! One horsepower equals 745.7 watts, last time I checked. For a human to
> > produce 700 watts for three minutes would
require
> > extraordinary cardio-pulmonary capacity, but I guess it's possible for
some
> > people; certainly not for me!
>
> Extraordinary, yeah: http://www.duathlon.com/articles/1406 Lance's one tough nut...
>
> Jeff

The trick is to build a bike that requires less power then the competition.....

500 watts for the final minute should be enough to get the job done. 200 watts takes my "Big Gun"
streamliner to 52 mph on the Battle Mountain course. Over 52 the PowerTap readings go out of whack
so after that it is a guess. I have done a 35 mph one hour on 175 watts at sea level. (race bike)
My commuter does 21 mph with 140 watts. (normal ride to work) What are your power #'s on the road
bike? Speedy

Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

"Bill Anton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<EhhYb.190$Ru5.24@okepread03>...
> What a heart. Check it out: Resting heart rate: 32-34. The image comes to mind of an idling 7.5L
> big-block V8 with a racing cam... or perhaps one of those old river boats (like in that Humphrey
> Bogart movie) with an engine that idles at 100 RPM -- except that in Lance's case that engine
> doesn't redline 'till 12,000 RPM. Wonder how long he'll be able to stay in that kind of shape? And
> at what cost? He's already lost his wife--shame.
> --
> Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 26x26 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

Once upon a time (back when I was on my college rowing team), my resting pulse rate was 40. (7%
body fat, too.) The student nurse checking me wanted to check in to the clinic right away. They
thought I was ill.

Jeff (not illin')