HR Monitor on exercise bike (trainer)

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by MLMercer, Feb 19, 2005.

1. MLMercer

MLMercer New Member

I've noticed a lot of exercise bikes available these days come with pulse monitors. They basically involve gripping a sensor with each hand and it gives a computer reading of your heart rate...

Does anyone know how accurite the reading from this type of monitor is??

Thanks
    MLM

Tags:

2. in.10.city

in.10.city New Member

All of the built-in HR monitors that I've come across have been on eliptical machines but they were the same type that you mention - grab on... I wore my own HR monitor to see how accurate they really are and I've found that they are right on the money IF you have a good solid grip on the right spot.

3. MLMercer

MLMercer New Member

Cool - thanks for that in.10.city - I hvae renewed faith in my new machine :)

MLM

4. Mouse Potato

Mouse Potato New Member

At the local gym, the elliptical, treadmill and stationary bike hand grip pulse monitors typically read about 40bpm low, spot on, and about 20bpm low respectively for me, compared to my own HR monitor. They are all from the same manufacturer too, and about the same age (it's a fairly new gym). But they will all take input from my own HR monitor chest strap, so that's what I use: easier to see, and safer than trying to take one hand off when using the elliptical... the last time I did that I nearly got bucked off! :D

My own treadmill's hand grip pulse monitor reads about 40bpm low. My brother's treadmill monitor is either spot on, 50bpm low, or 100bpm low depending on the phase of the moon, the alignment of the planets, what the neighbours had for dinner last night, and who knows what else. Neither of us have figured it out.

So *I* don't have any faith in them! ;)