hr monitors...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by mattmor, Dec 17, 2003.

1. mattmor

mattmor New Member

I think Santa will be bringing me a HR monitor for X-mas :) Just wondering what the concensus is. I already have a wired flight deck so therefore the cycling specific features for the Polar S150 aren't really necessary. I was also looking at the Polar A5. Please point me in the right direction. As Santa needs a decision soon.

Matt

Tags:

2. byron27

byron27 New Member

do you want to be able download the info onto your computer?. if so, go for the s520. Otherwise i cant see a problem with s150, but hey, if its just a HRM then cant see any problem with the A5. Check out the polar website: www.polar.fi

3. pysays

pysays New Member

S120: all the functions of S150 except the cycling features.

4. rhoye@erols.com

[email protected] New Member

I have a Polar M32 that I will likely return for an i720. This model will measure power outpu in addition to HR.

5. MidBunchLurker

MidBunchLurker New Member

The A5 doesn't have coded transmission, so if you exercise or race next to others you might get interference. Santa is putting an M32 into my wife's christmas stocking this year. It's the cheapest model with the coded transmission.

The power measurement is an add-on that costs almost as much as the 720i. Search this forum and you'll find varying degrees of success with power reading accuracy.

6. Insight Driver

Insight Driver New Member

for me, as a basic fitness cyclist over 50, a basic heart rate monitor is fine for me. Practically I'd rather spend money on better clothing than a multip-function monitor that would be usefull if I was looking at a serious race-ready fitness.

7. cdg53

cdg53 New Member

I am also a fitness cyclist over (barely) 50--I really like Polar's new WearLink transmitter (http://www.polarusa.com/products/consumer/WL.asp) which is available with the M61 and M32. Either of these monitors gives all the HRM info I need for my rides and workouts. The transmitter belt is very comfortable & has user changable batteries. No cycling functions.

8. flocrest

flocrest New Member

You may want to try the Vetta H100. It has extensive HR functions plus a bike computer. I am a 44 yo fitness rider that "races" 4 or so times a year in citizens races. I have two of these and they are really high quality. You can get them for $50 at Performance. I like the idea of having everything in one place.

9. RalleighOke

RalleighOke New Member

also go check out www.lifestylemd.com

It gives most of the models. I bought my S210 there for (+-R200) more than the M32. I agree with midbunchlurker. Go for one with a coded transmission. I know the A5, not a bad HRM, it's just not coded.

10. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

Try the Sigma PC range , good quality and dirt cheap , ok they donĀ“t down load to a computer but how many need that ????

11. mre

mre New Member

The Vetta H100 is also my choice. I don't like wearing a wrist watch while riding and prefer all functions on the bike. This is my third Vetta (two sensors still working) but I like the HR1000 the best (oldest but simplest). One key point. Always wipe the sensor clean after every ride. I wasn't real good with that with my first Vetta and the electronics corroded from all the salt (note my location).

12. tourdelivermore

tourdelivermore New Member

If Santa can open the checkbook a little wider, the Polar S720 is my recommendation. Aside from all the benefits of using an HRM, using the computer software, I enjoy reliving the rides.

13. TomKC

TomKC New Member

I got the Polar 710, like the features and download ability. Kind of helps set goals for the indoor training we have to do in the winter...

14. Waldo

Waldo New Member

I'd second the mentions for the Sigma and Vetta models. The Vetta V100HR has been discontinued, which is why Performance is blowing it out at a ridiculous price. My Sigma has served me well and gives me all the info I could ever need (or want, really).
    I have two beefs with Polar-the lack of user changable batteries on most of their models, and their service was terrible when I had a customer with a S210 that went bad in a week.