HR Training Zones Pre- & Post-Vo2max Testing: I'm confused...

Supersonic

Sep 25, 2005
So I did a VO2max test to determine my HR Zones for winter training. I train using HR as I cannot yet afford to get a powermeter. I know training with power is better and more accurate, but not within my financial possibilities right now. :-(

Anyway, as a result of the testing, my new HR Zones were determined to be the following:

Z1 = 137-150 "Recovery" (Active)
Z2 = 151-162 "Endurance" (Base)
Z3 = 163-172 "Tempo" (Race Pace)
Z4 = 173-180 "Minute Intervals" (Speed Work)
Z5 = 180-186 "2nd Interval" (Peak Interval)

Now, here are the zones I HAD been working with that I had come up with based on less-accurate field tests I have been doing in-season and so forth. I was using the chart in Friel's "Bible" to come up with these...

Z1 = 109-135 "Recovery"
Z2 = 136-149 "Aerobic"
Z3 = 150-155 "Tempo"
Z4 = 156-166 "Sub-Thresh."
Z5a = 167-170 "Super-Thresh."
Z5b = 171-176 "Aerobic Cap."
Z5c = 177-182 "Anaerobic Cap."

So what gives? Can someone explain to me why/how my VO2max tested Zones are so different and have seemingly changed by 1 whole Zone from previous measurements? I was doing Base Miles last season shooting for about 142bpm average, and now I'm going to be doing those same Base Miles shooting to average 10bpm higher (i.e. 151-162) ?!?

Also, my AT (Aerobic Threshold) was measured at 162 (@ 250watts), and my max HR was 184 on the test, but I've seen 186 on my HRM recently this season.

Any light that could be shed on my quandry would be appreciated. Thanx.

Honestly, the MHR correlation between your test and your field training seems to match up pretty well (184 v. 186bpm) and your zones seem to be based on 186MHR, so that all seems to jive.

Your HR hasn't changed by a complete zone. The trick is to reconcile the zones you received with your test to the one's found in the 'the bible.' The same names seem to be used differently depending on the schema, so one trainer's tempo may be another trainer's threshold. If the test facility can give you the source of their zone schema, then that will help your efforts. Or, you can just take your MHR and find a new MHR-based zone schema altogether.

frenchyge said:
Honestly, the MHR correlation between your test and your field training seems to match up pretty well (184 v. 186bpm) and your zones seem to be based on 186MHR, so that all seems to jive.

Your HR hasn't changed by a complete zone. The trick is to reconcile the zones you received with your test to the one's found in the 'the bible.' The same names seem to be used differently depending on the schema, so one trainer's tempo may be another trainer's threshold. If the test facility can give you the source of their zone schema, then that will help your efforts. Or, you can just take your MHR and find a new MHR-based zone schema altogether.

However, how could 2 different zone schemas advocate for a Base Mileage HR that is nearly 10bpm different? I'd like to know what HR I should be targeting for the base miles I'm starting soon, and that's just a huge differential.

Supersonic said:
However, how could 2 different zone schemas advocate for a Base Mileage HR that is nearly 10bpm different? I'd like to know what HR I should be targeting for the base miles I'm starting soon, and that's just a huge differential.
Are Friel's zones based on *Max HR*, or field test HR with some percentages applied to them? You need to keep the zone schema together with it's respective protocol used to set them - don't mix-and-match without some caution.

Here's Ric Stern's schema with zones based on MHR. He also describes the physiological adaptations expected from work in each zone, so maybe this will help you decide what targets to use for your training goals. http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=powerstern

frenchyge said:
Are Friel's zones based on *Max HR*, or field test HR with some percentages applied to them? You need to keep the zone schema together with it's respective protocol used to set them - don't mix-and-match without some caution.

Here's Ric Stern's schema with zones based on MHR. He also describes the physiological adaptations expected from work in each zone, so maybe this will help you decide what targets to use for your training goals. http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=powerstern

Friel's zones are based on field test w/ % applied to them.

Thankx for the link to Stern's article. Interesting reading and food 4 thoght. I have my HR zones worked out in watts, too, so I'll compare that. Maybe I'll start training in watts if I win the lottery and can afford a powertap. Or maybe I should just sell my golf clubs and my MTB...

Supersonic said:
Friel's zones are based on field test w/ % applied to them.

Thankx for the link to Stern's article. Interesting reading and food 4 thoght. I have my HR zones worked out in watts, too, so I'll compare that. Maybe I'll start training in watts if I win the lottery and can afford a powertap. Or maybe I should just sell my golf clubs and my MTB...

Sell your golf clubs. what possible use are they for a cyclist? :D

Seriously, many people use different zones entirely. One coach may use one idea, another coach another idea. Thus, it's important to use training prescription or ideas carefully if you transport one session from someone using a different training schema.

Additionally, in the above linked article of mine, those *HR* zones presented are those that British Cycling were using at the time. Since then, i've modified the above *HR* zones for the people i coach who use HR. Additionally British Cycling have also modified their HR zones.

Ric

ric_stern/RST said:
Sell your golf clubs. what possible use are they for a cyclist? :D

Seriously, many people use different zones entirely. One coach may use one idea, another coach another idea. Thus, it's important to use training prescription or ideas carefully if you transport one session from someone using a different training schema.

Additionally, in the above linked article of mine, those *HR* zones presented are those that British Cycling were using at the time. Since then, i've modified the above *HR* zones for the people i coach who use HR. Additionally British Cycling have also modified their HR zones.

Ric

Ok, I think I understand the discrepancy, now. It is a matter of coaching principles/approaches. I'm meeting with my coach in mid-October, so I suspect he'll clear things up for me then. In the meantime, I was just trying to make sense of it all. It's now clearer to me.

Thanks!