HR went up after a long rest

You may be right about lactic acid clearance however active recovery spinning definitely helps with recovery by delivering nutrients and blood flow to the damaged muscles. Also i never said that i set my expectations at 1%. i train hard and whether the improvements are 1% or 10 % i am happy either way because iam getting better. There is nothing wrong with my training program, in fact its a good one. But you should know that results do not come overnight. Furthermore i am always willing to try out new training programs, any suggestions??

WarrenG said:
I suggest you do some reading about lactic acid. Also lactate. Both (well, not lactic acid since there effectively is none to begin with) are cleared out of muscle within 75 minutes of finishing your training if you sprint to your front door, and within 15-20 minutes if you finish your ride wih easy riding.

I think by setting your expectations at only 1% a year you do not investigate the value of your training plan/methods when you do see only 1% improvement each year. If you understood that it was possible to make better improvements you would probably decide to look closer at your own training to learn why you were not making more improvement.

blackstud25 said:
Everybody thinks they know the perfect training plan, the amount of rest needed, proper nutrition etc.

I would have to disagree. I think that most people interested in training/racing are looking for a better, more efficient ways of improving. New ideas and routes to their goals. I certainly would not say that I knew the best methods. I am not that full of myself or narrow minded.

blackstud25 said:
The fact is we all respond differently to training, rest,
blackstud25 said:
and also nutrition. It so happens that i prefer to take my rest through 8 hrs of sleep per day, and active recovery. Dont get me wrong i know rest is important,

From your earlier posts I wasn't getting that impression...."overated" was how you had described it. :rolleyes:

blackstud25 said:
but how much rest is needed varies from individual to individual. It is the same reason that some can sleep for 6 hrs and function normally at work, while for others 6 hrs will fall woefully short.

I fully agree with you. Everyone is different. Harder relative training compared to what you are used to requires more recovery than relatively easy training. For those that are putting 4 hours of training in per day, a 1 hour spin would be a rest. If you are only used to 1 hour a day then it would be a good training ride.

blackstud25 said:
Howver since the brother claims to know it all concerning rest and training,

I've looked back through the posts and can't find where I made this claim and it certainly wasn't my intention.
I had made certain assumtions based on your remarks(rest is overated,even criminal/you have a rest day when you are hurting) which were that

a) you thought that rest unnecessary.
b)you only took a rest day if you were forced to by too much pain.

Obviously, from reading your last post, I was wrong to assume this although I think I can be forgiven for doing so?

As far as a typical training plan, there isn't one.
The training that you do depends, as you have already said, on the individual. Depends on your goals, your abilities, your weaknesses, the time you have available, your training environment, your lifestyle and other external factors that may limit what training you are able to absorb and willing to do.
All I said was "to get the largest possible gains for the work that they put in, hard training accompanied by appropriate recovery(spin or rest day)will give far better long term gains than 'training as hard as you can for as long as you can until you are forced to have a day off'."
As it turns out, the latter isn't the philosophy that you follow either, so you would maybe agree with this statement

If you had written in an earlier post that you had hard days, easy days and rest days when you needed them, there would have been no discussion. I would have agreed with that 100%. But you made the statement about rest being criminal which gives a completely different impression to someone that doesn't know you or the training you actually do.

I no longer worry about how you train, after you cleared up a few things. ;)
As for me getting overtrained, not likely.
More likely overweight! :D
I don't train to the extent that I am within a million miles of being overtrained.
I have been "overtrained" in the past though, through a burning desire to be better and the assumtion that recovery wasn't something that the worlds elite had much time for. Mental stength can be a good and bad thing! As I said, depending on your fitnesss level one mans recovery ride could look like a hard training session to someone without their supreme fitness levels.

We seem to have moved off the subject of the thread a little!