HRM and distance

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by stumpy, Apr 22, 2003.

1. stumpy

stumpy New Member

I saw Timex's new time and distance watch that utilizes GPS technology to give you pace and distance (assuming you don't have this on your bike yet) and I am not sure about the accuracy yet, nor have I read any reviews about the watch. It has frame mounting capabilities for the bulky arm band attachment. My question is does anyone know if any manufactureres have this with heart rate monitor capabilities also? I am looking at the Polar 710 as an upgrade, but ran across this watch and thought I was throw the question out.

Stumpy

Tags:

2. rek

rek New Member

I think the Timex is the only one with the GPS stuff. I would suspect that it'd be a little less accurate than conventional cycle computers, that measure wheel speed with a magnet. Definitely sounds like an interesting concept worth reading about, though.

If I was going to the bother of having GPS though, I'd want to get a proper GPS with the ability to store trails, show waypoints/maps, etc. too though.

Most bike computer manufacturers (Cateye, Cyclosport, Vetta, VDO, etc.) have one or two high-end models that combine an HRM with a cyclocomputer.

I (and a fair few others here) use a Polar S710; they're a great all-in-one solution; there are a few little quirks to its cyclocomputer functions, but the data logging and PC software is second-to-none, and it makes analysis and keeping detailed training logs a piece of cake.

If you weren't interested in training logs and such, there is a cheaper Polar S150 with an inbuilt basic bike computer, and an S510 that has cycling functions and also some basic PC connectivity (but isn't that much cheaper than the S710.) Or else you could get a basic HRM as well as a normal cyclocomputer.