HRM died on me, looking at Sigma Sport PC14 and Timex Marathon...

Preston Crawford

Guest
Any opinions on which is going to be better quality? I've been Polar for
years, but they've dropped their Pacer product.

Preston

"Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any opinions on which is going to be better quality? I've been Polar for
> years, but they've dropped their Pacer product.
>
> Preston

I just bought a Sigma Sport PC14. Initial impressions - the watch part is
pretty large (not an issue if it's mounted on the handlebars, but might be
an issue on the wrist). Setup is fairly intuitive.

The main thing I don't like is that it does NOT show time "In", "Below", and
"Above" your target HR zone. If I knew this when I ordered, I probably
wouldn't have purchased this unit.

But, the price was right ($49.95 from Nashbar).

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

On 2005-08-05, GaryG <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Any opinions on which is going to be better quality? I've been Polar for
>> years, but they've dropped their Pacer product.
>>
>> Preston

> I just bought a Sigma Sport PC14. Initial impressions - the watch part is
> pretty large (not an issue if it's mounted on the handlebars, but might be
> an issue on the wrist). Setup is fairly intuitive.
>
> The main thing I don't like is that it does NOT show time "In", "Below", and
> "Above" your target HR zone. If I knew this when I ordered, I probably
> wouldn't have purchased this unit.
>
> But, the price was right ($49.95 from Nashbar).

Yeah, I saw the size and it's a bit disconcerting to me. It looks really
big and I have big arms and wrists. The heart rate zone issue isn't so
much of a problem for me. I just mostly want to make sure I'm not
wearing a Flava Flav clock around as an HRM. The Timex is definitely
friendlier as a watch, but doesn't say ECG reliable, so I don't know how
good the quality is, you know.

Preston

I am a fairly recent user of the PC14 which I got a Nashbar for about $30. So
far, I am very happy with it. I do note that occasionally the heart rate drops
to zero suddenly. Sometimes it comes back quickkly, sometimes not for a while.
At first I thought it was related to possible movement of the chest transmitter
but no. I believe I read of others having this (perhaps on road bike review).
Still for $30 I am happy and it is user servicable.

Preston Crawford wrote:

> Any opinions on which is going to be better quality? I've been Polar for
> years, but they've dropped their Pacer product.
>
> Preston

I have a PC1600 - It has all of the features I need including Time
in/above/below zone, average and max HR, calorie counter etc. I
actually got mine for $29.99 at Performance (locally in the Bay Area) -
I am not sure why the price was so low, but I was not complaining at
the checkout.

One side benefit of the Sigma - I actually bought this as an exchange
for a Polar s-150 HRM, which I found suffered from horrible
interference and inaccurate readings, the Sigma has fixed that and is
much easier to use also. I highly recommend them, especially for the
price