HRM - strapless?

Iona

Jul 26, 2004
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a HRM - but I'm unsure about what to get. I don't think I need anything too intricate, and was considering a monitor which doesn't need a strap. Are these models less accurate? Can anyone recommend any good models - easy and not cumbersome to use?

Best,
I

Look at the polar line (other major brands include suunto and ciclosport), and see what fits your needs and price considerations. I would advise you to go for a HRM with a chest strap, they are quite reliable, and after your first ride you will not even notice the strap - they are not uncomfortable at all!

Remember, many of the higher priced models offer all kinds of downloading software and all that jazz, which you probably do not need.

I'M not a woman, but I reckon that if POLAR made bras they'd be the most popular on the market...

My strap doesn't lift and seperate, but it fits snuggly on my chest and I don't even know it's there.....

Thanks for the response. Are there any features worth having? I plan on doing more structured interval sessions, for instance? And if you do get a model with downloading software - what do you do with the data!? Is it just something else to record?

I

Powerful Pete said:
Look at the polar line (other major brands include suunto and ciclosport), and see what fits your needs and price considerations. I would advise you to go for a HRM with a chest strap, they are quite reliable, and after your first ride you will not even notice the strap - they are not uncomfortable at all!

Remember, many of the higher priced models offer all kinds of downloading software and all that jazz, which you probably do not need.

A HRM bra - what a great idea! I'd be the first to buy one. Are staps annoying to put on??

JAPANic said:
I'M not a woman, but I reckon that if POLAR made bras they'd be the most popular on the market...

My strap doesn't lift and seperate, but it fits snuggly on my chest and I don't even know it's there.....

Iona said:
A HRM bra - what a great idea! I'd be the first to buy one. Are staps annoying to put on??

They make them. Not that I.... well.... I saw it in the store!

Basically, it's a sports-type bra with a sleeve for the HRM band... slip the band in and go - no strap.

I won't ask what you were doing wandering through the bra section... but thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can find any on-line....
I

Jon Packard said:
They make them. Not that I.... well.... I saw it in the store!

Basically, it's a sports-type bra with a sleeve for the HRM band... slip the band in and go - no strap.

Iona, depends how much you want to do with your HRM and what your budget is. The high-end Polars goe for over 300 Euros, but they allow (depending on the model) you to store HR data from your workout and download it to your pc. There is a significant amount of literature out there on how to use this kind of data to your advantage in terms of your training. How useful it could be to you I obviously do not know. Do some research on the net - I am sure that will help you make up your mind.

Happy shopping.

Iona said:
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a HRM - but I'm unsure about what to get. I don't think I need anything too intricate, and was considering a monitor which doesn't need a strap. Are these models less accurate? Can anyone recommend any good models - easy and not cumbersome to use?

Best,
I

I've had a Polar S610i for a year and now that I've started cycling I wish I'd got a 725 instead. Anyway it's a great HRM, quality software, easy to use and has helped my training a huge amount in my other sport.

KakenBetaal said:
I've had a Polar S610i for a year and now that I've started cycling I wish I'd got a 725 instead. Anyway it's a great HRM, quality software, easy to use and has helped my training a huge amount in my other sport.

I have both a strapless heart rate monitor and a strapped one.
Both are accurate.
The strapless does not give a continuous reading...which I don't like.....you get your heart rate by placing your fingers on the face. I find if I'm really sweaty it doesn't read well. I don't hate it but I don't think I'd buy it again. Buy a good strapped one.....with calorie counts and everything...I think you will like it better than the strapless.