HRM Training for cycling?

See Mom Tri

Oct 29, 2004
I am familiar with HRM training for running and I truely believe lots of slow easy runs (long and short) at around 65-78% HRR (Heart rate reserve) gave me the aerobic capacity/endurace I needed to qualify for Boston in short period of time.

Would the same slow easy rides - lots of them - work to improve my cycling? I am totally newbie to the world of cycling. No technique period. I am pretty slow, but riding even slower to keep my HR at 65%HRR (about 138)?? If I can ride only twice/week due to other training and one of which is spinning (considered as interval/tempo training?), how hard (HR-wise) should the other ride be? Generally, is the HRM training theory for running applicable to cycling?

Thanks for your help.

See Mom Tri

First off - this should be in the training section. Second - search, there are a ton of HR based training threads (I have started a few - so search for my username).

Anyways, I love HRM based training. I generally ride at about 70% of max HR for endurance. For shorter rides I tend to get the HR up through intervals.

As you train more, your speed will increase and distance will increase with lower HR. If you can only train twice a week, you can probably just be harder on your body. HRM training for running is probably very close to cycling - pick one you can crank out for a few hours.

If your HR is too high, shift up gears - if your HR is too low or your legs hurt, shift down gears.

See Mom Tri said:
I am familiar with HRM training for running and I truely believe lots of slow easy runs (long and short) at around 65-78% HRR (Heart rate reserve) gave me the aerobic capacity/endurace I needed to qualify for Boston in short period of time.

Would the same slow easy rides - lots of them - work to improve my cycling? I am totally newbie to the world of cycling. No technique period. I am pretty slow, but riding even slower to keep my HR at 65%HRR (about 138)?? If I can ride only twice/week due to other training and one of which is spinning (considered as interval/tempo training?), how hard (HR-wise) should the other ride be? Generally, is the HRM training theory for running applicable to cycling?

Thanks for your help.

See Mom Tri
On a theoretical level, running and cycling training are very similar - both sports are primarily dependent on aerobic endurance. If you are cycling for fitness/fun/challenge (vs racing/performance), then training for the two (including HR zones/theory/intervals/%of max HR) is even more similar.
One significant difference is the max HR you can achieve cycling vs running. This depends somewhat on your experience with the two sports, but for someone with a running background and is new to cycling, you can take about 10-15bpm off of your running max HR as a guestimate for your cycling max HR, and then take zones from there. As a comparison, someone with a cycling background who just starts to run will initially have zones that are non-significantly different. However, an incremental test is the only way to know for sure.
While cycling is still fairly new to you, I would recommend staying on the low end of your endurance training zones when you plan to ride for more than 60min; however, I would also recommend 75% of your cycling max HR as a better level of intensity for endurance training.