HRM wrangling: accurate calories?

^^Interesting reading, but nothing revolutionary WRT to either...Everyone has an opinion as to who/what is the best/fastest/longest lasting method to lose weight/burn fat/etc...There is no consensus as to the 'best method' due to the fact everyone has varying physiology, and as such there will be varying responses to the different protocols. Anyone making the claim that they're the "best" is full of themselves, and trying too hard to sell something...

Anyway, my suggestion to the OP was based on my own personal experience (I'm selling nothing) and because he has "much excess bodyfat". IMO, altering dietary intake(with particular emphasis on reducing high glycemic carb intake) in addition to low intensity exercise will burn bodyfat off at a rate that will be sustainable in the long term. For me anyway, high intensity exercise significantly increases my appetite (due to the predominance of using muscle-bound glycogen as fuel, which will require replacement), potentially causing overeating. Perhaps the fat will not come off as fast with lower intensity exercise, but IME it will come off at a more sustainable rate...ymmv.

With all due respect and before anyone wishes to open the debate floor, I'm not interested in debating this subject. I know what has worked for me in the past - no unverifiable anecdotes, no unsubstantiated claims, etc...

I'm done hi-jacking the OPs thread...Good luck with your weight/fat loss goals...Get a powermeter to track your caloric expenditure. I'm out.

No debate here, just offering up free information.
"The application of knowledge is power." Bruce Lee

FWIW- I have never heard of Alwyn Cosgrove or Phil Stevens brag about themselves. They are respected by people like Dan John, Charles Staley, Charles Poilquin, Robert Dos Remedios, etc.. who are also considered to be some of the most knowledgeable people in the field of sports performance, fat loss and nutrition.

I'm not selling anything and have also been down this road. I was once a morbidly obese 15yr. old.

swampy1970 said:
Yes you can. Eat slightly less, ride more, sleep more, avoid alcohol.

Make whatever time you have on the bike "quality time" - if you only have less that 90minutes per most sessions then hard 20 to 25 minute intervals with 5 minutes rest. Repeat 2 or 3 times. I find this a sure fire way of losing weight and as posted in other thread I can't seem to lose weight as easily if I stick to the more "traditional" method or riding at a fast tempo pace for several hours.

There's no need to turn basic bike training into something that resembles a scientific project or accountancy. If you don't put in the "quality time" then you'll never expend the energy at a sufficient rate...

Wow, another "internet expert". You know basically NOTHING about me, yet you're willing to give me both a nutritional plan AND a training plan all in the same post? Sweet! Didn't cost me a dime, either! What a deal! What makes you think that I don't know all of that already? I eat healthy, I don't drink AT ALL, and I train on average 10 hours per week, which includes strength training and on-bike workouts (See: "Base Building for Cyclists" and "Cyclists Training Bible").

If what you said above works for you, then great, I'm ******* happy for you, pal -- but it makes NO sense to me to make vague guesses about nutritional issues. I doubt you're any kind of professional trainer or cycling coach, but MY sources taught me that you HAVE to keep track of these things with some degree of accuracy if you want to succeed, NOT make vague hand-waving guesses about things and hope that it works.

I'm tired of "internet experts". I'm out of here.

DuncanBlkthrne said:
Wow, another "internet expert". You know basically NOTHING about me, yet you're willing to give me both a nutritional plan AND a training plan all in the same post? Sweet! Didn't cost me a dime, either! What a deal! What makes you think that I don't know all of that already? I eat healthy, I don't drink AT ALL, and I train on average 10 hours per week, which includes strength training and on-bike workouts (See: "Base Building for Cyclists" and "Cyclists Training Bible").

If what you said above works for you, then great, I'm ******* happy for you, pal -- but it makes NO sense to me to make vague guesses about nutritional issues. I doubt you're any kind of professional trainer or cycling coach, but MY sources taught me that you HAVE to keep track of these things with some degree of accuracy if you want to succeed, NOT make vague hand-waving guesses about things and hope that it works.

I'm tired of "internet experts". I'm out of here.

Damn! Talk about a nutjob. You got folks interested in helping you overcome your fat problem and all want to do is **** on 'em - is if you got all the answers on how to solve your issue. If you did, you wouldn't have found your way into onto this forum whining about how fat you are in the first place - consider that for a moment.

You rightfully should take your already expert, and overly fat, self to a licensed nutritionist so you can get some "expert" direction from someone you may listen to; emphasis obviously on MAY...your problem is nutrional based, not because you don't ride the bike enough. I take back wishing you luck now:p.

From my professional experience, (YES, I am a trainer & I only train other trainers now) people who over think the process of fat loss burn out either before or shortly after they reach the magical BF% (men) or magical weight (women) and gain it all back plus more.
You only have 10hrs. a week to train? So you have a real job? You are not a professional athlete? What are you going to do when you reach this goal BF%? You are going to have to train harder and eat tighter to maintain it.
Good luck not burning out ;).