HRMs; anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nate

I was wondering how many of you guys use heart rate montiors for training/racing? Also, I got an
Ascent Contest HRM as a b-day gift, but I can't finger out why the in range/below range/above
range and average hr aren't working. I do have the low and high range set. The manual doesn't
give any special directions, so i guess it should be done automatically... Anyone had this
experience too? Nate

Please explain what you mean by "aren't working".

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

"Nate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was wondering how many of you guys use heart rate montiors for training/racing? Also, I got an
> Ascent Contest HRM as a b-day gift, but I can't finger out why the in range/below range/above
> range and average hr aren't working. I do have the low and high range set. The manual doesn't give
> any special directions, so i guess it should be done automatically... Anyone had this experience
> too? Nate

Zilla wrote:
> Please explain what you mean by "aren't working".
>
>
> "Nate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I was wondering how many of you guys use heart rate montiors for training/racing? Also, I got an
>> Ascent Contest HRM as a b-day gift, but I can't finger out why the in range/below range/above
>> range and average hr aren't working. I do have the low and high range set. The manual doesn't
>> give any special directions, so i guess it should be done automatically... Anyone had this
>> experience too? Nate

this is a really dumb question perhaps, but have you used it while training yet? My HR monitor just
beeps at me until I get going .Also, did you put saliva or EKG cream on the chest contacts yet? That
helps with the transmission. The transmission can be affected by other electronics within close
range. You might also check the web site for a more in-depth manual.

Yours may not have the features you want either. Some just do the actual HR, not all tell you what
zone or what percentage of Maximum you are at. Penny

Sorni wrote:
> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> did you put saliva or EKG cream on the chest contacts yet?
>
> AM-B rocks.
>
> Bill "I'm jus' sayin'..." S.

plain water doesn't work as well.

I thought everyone licked their chest strap before they put it on... penny

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Sorni wrote:
> > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >> did you put saliva or EKG cream on the chest contacts yet?
> >
> > AM-B rocks.
> >
> > Bill "I'm jus' sayin'..." S.
>
> plain water doesn't work as well.
>
> I thought everyone licked their chest strap before they put it on...

Strap? I thought you were into chains.

Bill "time to go ride...obviously!" S.

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Zilla wrote:
> > Please explain what you mean by "aren't working".
> >
> >
> > "Nate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> I was wondering how many of you guys use heart rate montiors for training/racing? Also, I got
> >> an Ascent Contest HRM as a b-day gift, but I can't finger out why the in range/below
> >> range/above range and average hr aren't working. I do have the low and high range set. The
> >> manual doesn't give any special directions, so i guess it should be done automatically...
> >> Anyone had this experience too? Nate
>
> this is a really dumb question perhaps, but have you used it while training yet? My HR monitor
> just beeps at me until I get going .Also, did you put saliva or EKG cream on the chest contacts
> yet? That helps with the transmission. The transmission can be affected by other electronics
> within close range. You might also check the web site for a more in-depth manual.
>
> Yours may not have the features you want either. Some just do the actual HR, not all tell you what
> zone or what percentage of Maximum you are at. Penny

According to the manual, (which I read fully) this HRM has more features than I care to have. I have
set the high/low ranges... It simply reads 0:00 for each hi/low/in range. I started out using saliva
but then switched to EKG gel for possible better results. I have ridden with it over 200 miles, read
the manual a few times over, looked on MTBR for review (not even listed for review) and I have
looked on the net for some info with no results. Of course no one at the shops which sell this HRM
have any idea of how to work their product. I don't think I am missing any vital steps here. I just
can't figure out why this one mode isn't working correctly. Nate

Nate wrote:
. I
> just can't figure out why this one mode isn't working correctly. Nate

time for a new battery?

Penny S. wrote:
> Nate wrote:
> . I
>
>>just can't figure out why this one mode isn't working correctly. Nate
>
>
> time for a new battery?
>
>
>

Its not the whole thing penny, and its fairly new, from what I gather. its just the time in
zone function.

Did you try starting the stopwatch? On my sports instruments ECG4, the stopwatch needs to be running
to do things like alarms and time in zone.

Jon Bond

Jonathan Bond wrote:
> Penny S. wrote:
>> Nate wrote:
>> . I
>>
>>> just can't figure out why this one mode isn't working correctly. Nate
>>
>>
>> time for a new battery?
>>
>>
>>
>
> Its not the whole thing penny, and its fairly new, from what I gather. its just the time in zone
> function.
>

Ok,OK. I was just trying to help.

Is it plugged in <ducking and running....>

Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Penny S. wrote:
> > Nate wrote:
> > . I
> >
> >>just can't figure out why this one mode isn't working correctly. Nate
> >
> >
> > time for a new battery?
> >
> >
> >
>
> Its not the whole thing penny, and its fairly new, from what I gather. its just the time in zone
> function.
>
> Did you try starting the stopwatch? On my sports instruments ECG4, the stopwatch needs to be
> running to do things like alarms and time in zone.
>
> Jon Bond

I have considered the possibility of the battery, but I'm pretty sure it's ok. I have used the
stopwatch as Jon suggested, but only gaining average heart rate (still no in/above/below stats). Max
heart rate seems to work regularly w/o use of stopwatch or lap timers. I believe it is user error
'cuz we (bike shop employees and I) cannot get other hrm's of the same type to do this function. I
really like this hrm, but I am thinking about taking it back and getting a different one. Nate

[email protected] (Nate) wrote in message
> I was wondering how many of you guys use heart rate montiors for training/racing? Also, I got an
> Ascent Contest HRM as a b-day gift, but I can't finger out why the in range/below range/above
> range and average hr aren't working. I do have the low and high range set. The manual doesn't
> give any special directions, so i guess it should be done automatically... Anyone had this
> experience too?

Return it, as it's needless ****.

JD

Status
Not open for further replies.