HRMs; anyone?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Nate, Apr 5, 2003.

  1. Nate

    Nate Guest

    I was wondering how many of you guys use heart rate montiors for training/racing? Also, I got an
    Ascent Contest HRM as a b-day gift, but I can't finger out why the in range/below range/above
    range and average hr aren't working. I do have the low and high range set. The manual doesn't
    give any special directions, so i guess it should be done automatically... Anyone had this
    experience too? Nate

    Tags:

  2. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Please explain what you mean by "aren't working".

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    "Nate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was wondering how many of you guys use heart rate montiors for training/racing? Also, I got an
    > Ascent Contest HRM as a b-day gift, but I can't finger out why the in range/below range/above
    > range and average hr aren't working. I do have the low and high range set. The manual doesn't give
    > any special directions, so i guess it should be done automatically... Anyone had this experience
    > too? Nate

  3. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Zilla wrote:
    > Please explain what you mean by "aren't working".
    >

    > "Nate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> I was wondering how many of you guys use heart rate montiors for training/racing? Also, I got an
    >> Ascent Contest HRM as a b-day gift, but I can't finger out why the in range/below range/above
    >> range and average hr aren't working. I do have the low and high range set. The manual doesn't
    >> give any special directions, so i guess it should be done automatically... Anyone had this
    >> experience too? Nate

    this is a really dumb question perhaps, but have you used it while training yet? My HR monitor just
    beeps at me until I get going .Also, did you put saliva or EKG cream on the chest contacts yet? That
    helps with the transmission. The transmission can be affected by other electronics within close
    range. You might also check the web site for a more in-depth manual.

    Yours may not have the features you want either. Some just do the actual HR, not all tell you what
    zone or what percentage of Maximum you are at. Penny

  4. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  5. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Sorni wrote:

    >> did you put saliva or EKG cream on the chest contacts yet?
    >
    > AM-B rocks.
    >
    > Bill "I'm jus' sayin'..." S.

    plain water doesn't work as well.

    I thought everyone licked their chest strap before they put it on... penny

  6. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > Sorni wrote:
    > > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >> did you put saliva or EKG cream on the chest contacts yet?
    > >
    > > AM-B rocks.
    > >
    > > Bill "I'm jus' sayin'..." S.
    >
    > plain water doesn't work as well.
    >
    > I thought everyone licked their chest strap before they put it on... penny

    or had their chest licked

    --
    Slacker

  7. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > Sorni wrote:
    > > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >> did you put saliva or EKG cream on the chest contacts yet?
    > >
    > > AM-B rocks.
    > >
    > > Bill "I'm jus' sayin'..." S.
    >
    > plain water doesn't work as well.
    >
    > I thought everyone licked their chest strap before they put it on...

    Strap? I thought you were into chains.

    Bill "time to go ride...obviously!" S.

  8. Nate

    Nate Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Zilla wrote:
    > > Please explain what you mean by "aren't working".
    > >

    > > "Nate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> I was wondering how many of you guys use heart rate montiors for training/racing? Also, I got
    > >> an Ascent Contest HRM as a b-day gift, but I can't finger out why the in range/below
    > >> range/above range and average hr aren't working. I do have the low and high range set. The
    > >> manual doesn't give any special directions, so i guess it should be done automatically...
    > >> Anyone had this experience too? Nate
    >
    > this is a really dumb question perhaps, but have you used it while training yet? My HR monitor
    > just beeps at me until I get going .Also, did you put saliva or EKG cream on the chest contacts
    > yet? That helps with the transmission. The transmission can be affected by other electronics
    > within close range. You might also check the web site for a more in-depth manual.
    >
    > Yours may not have the features you want either. Some just do the actual HR, not all tell you what
    > zone or what percentage of Maximum you are at. Penny

    According to the manual, (which I read fully) this HRM has more features than I care to have. I have
    set the high/low ranges... It simply reads 0:00 for each hi/low/in range. I started out using saliva
    but then switched to EKG gel for possible better results. I have ridden with it over 200 miles, read
    the manual a few times over, looked on MTBR for review (not even listed for review) and I have
    looked on the net for some info with no results. Of course no one at the shops which sell this HRM
    have any idea of how to work their product. I don't think I am missing any vital steps here. I just
    can't figure out why this one mode isn't working correctly. Nate

  9. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Nate wrote:
    . I
    > just can't figure out why this one mode isn't working correctly. Nate

    time for a new battery?

  10. Penny S. wrote:
    > Nate wrote:
    > . I
    >
    >>just can't figure out why this one mode isn't working correctly. Nate
    >

    > time for a new battery?

    Its not the whole thing penny, and its fairly new, from what I gather. its just the time in
    zone function.

    Did you try starting the stopwatch? On my sports instruments ECG4, the stopwatch needs to be running
    to do things like alarms and time in zone.

    Jon Bond

  11. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Jonathan Bond wrote:
    > Penny S. wrote:
    >> Nate wrote:
    >> . I
    >>
    >>> just can't figure out why this one mode isn't working correctly. Nate
    >>

    >> time for a new battery?
    >>

    > Its not the whole thing penny, and its fairly new, from what I gather. its just the time in zone
    > function.

    Ok,OK. I was just trying to help.

    Is it plugged in <ducking and running....>

    1ยข

  12. Nate

    Nate Guest

    Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Penny S. wrote:
    > > Nate wrote:
    > > . I
    > >
    > >>just can't figure out why this one mode isn't working correctly. Nate
    > >

    > > time for a new battery?
    > >

    > Its not the whole thing penny, and its fairly new, from what I gather. its just the time in zone
    > function.
    >
    > Did you try starting the stopwatch? On my sports instruments ECG4, the stopwatch needs to be
    > running to do things like alarms and time in zone.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    I have considered the possibility of the battery, but I'm pretty sure it's ok. I have used the
    stopwatch as Jon suggested, but only gaining average heart rate (still no in/above/below stats). Max
    heart rate seems to work regularly w/o use of stopwatch or lap timers. I believe it is user error
    'cuz we (bike shop employees and I) cannot get other hrm's of the same type to do this function. I
    really like this hrm, but I am thinking about taking it back and getting a different one. Nate

  13. Westie

    Westie Guest

    > Sorni wrote:
    > > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >> did you put saliva or EKG cream on the chest contacts yet?
    > >
    > > AM-B rocks.
    > >
    > > Bill "I'm jus' sayin'..." S.
    >
    > plain water doesn't work as well.
    >
    > I thought everyone licked their chest strap before they put it on... penny

    I prefer to lick others.
    --
    Westie

  14. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Nate) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I was wondering how many of you guys use heart rate montiors for training/racing? Also, I got an
    > Ascent Contest HRM as a b-day gift, but I can't finger out why the in range/below range/above
    > range and average hr aren't working. I do have the low and high range set. The manual doesn't
    > give any special directions, so i guess it should be done automatically... Anyone had this
    > experience too?

    Return it, as it's needless crap.

    JD