HRMs

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cletus D . Lee

Any HRM recommendations out there? I tried and did not like the Polar M21 HRM. I found it difficult
to start and stop. Erratic when functioning. I could not complete a single ride without the HRM
producing readings well above 250 and usually, when it hit HRs above 200, it would never return to a
normal range. (which killed any useful training data). Polar suggested that it was getting
electrical interference. Are there HRMs that are no so sensitive to common electrical fields
commonly found while outside on a recumbent?

One other thing that I discovered about the Polar HRM is that the HR sensor requires a trip to the
factory for a new battery.

Any one have a particular HRM that has proven reliable and gives useful information?

--

Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

This sounds pretty much like the type of experience that I have had with HRM's, Cletus.

My personal theory is that they only work on 'some' people.

Maybe its related to the way an individual is 'wired'?

Lewis.

http://home.earthlink.net/~limeylew/index.html

Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
[q1]> Any HRM recommendations out there? I tried and did not like the Polar M21 HRM. I found it[/q1]
[q1]> difficult to start and stop. Erratic when functioning. I could not complete a single ride without[/q1]
[q1]> the HRM producing readings well above 250 and usually, when it hit HRs above 200, it would never[/q1]
[q1]> return to a normal range. (which killed any useful training data). Polar suggested that it was[/q1]
[q1]> getting electrical interference. Are there HRMs that are no so sensitive to common electrical[/q1]
[q1]> fields commonly found while outside on a recumbent?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> One other thing that I discovered about the Polar HRM is that the HR sensor requires a trip to the[/q1]
[q1]> factory for a new battery.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Any one have a particular HRM that has proven reliable and gives useful information?[/q1]

I've been using Axiom for a few months and it works fine. For about $100 you can get the axiom that
gives you all the functions(and more) of a polar that cost $170. Axiom can be bought from the
performance catalog. (www.performancebike.com).

Mike

Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
[q1]> Any HRM recommendations out there? I tried and did not like the Polar M21 HRM. I found it[/q1]
[q1]> difficult to start and stop. Erratic when functioning. I could not complete a single ride without[/q1]
[q1]> the HRM producing readings well above 250 and usually, when it hit HRs above 200, it would never[/q1]
[q1]> return to a normal range. (which killed any useful training data). Polar suggested that it was[/q1]
[q1]> getting electrical interference. Are there HRMs that are no so sensitive to common electrical[/q1]
[q1]> fields commonly found while outside on a recumbent?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> One other thing that I discovered about the Polar HRM is that the HR sensor requires a trip to the[/q1]
[q1]> factory for a new battery.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Any one have a particular HRM that has proven reliable and gives useful information?[/q1]

Cletus In practice there is little that causes the signal to drop. One of my favorite rides has
about a half mile next to a high voltage transmission line that is only area that I know the signal
will be lost. And the new timing system at the races does cause trouble. Otherwise it works great.
Years ago before wireless, the chest strap was hard wired straight to the display. That was a bigger
problem. Didn't drop the signal though. Steve

"Cletus D. Lee" wrote:

[q1]> FWIW, I picked this up off the Cateye Website for[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> The following places generate strong electromagnetic wave and interference, which cause incorrect[/q1]
[q1]> measurement:[/q1]
[q1]> 1. Places near TV, PC, radios, motors/engines, or in cars and trains.[/q1]
[q1]> 2. Railroad crossings and near railway tracks, around television transmitting stations and radar[/q1]
[q1]> bases. • Try to avoid using the main unit within a 1.5m radius of other transmitters. • Do not[/q1]
[q1]> use other wireless devices simultaneously. • Static electricity could cause a function error,[/q1]
[q1]> resulting in abnormal display of the data. In such a case, reset the main unit.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> So, If I stay off the streets away from car engines, not play my radio or turn on my cell phone,[/q1]
[q1]> it should work OK, unless I play on the RR tracks.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I am surprised these things work at all...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> In article <[email protected]>, "S. Delaire \"Rotatorrecumbent\""[/q1]
[q1]> <[email protected]> says...[/q1]
[q2]> > Cletus Cateye products are very reliable and accurate. HB100 is a nice simple model with average[/q2]
[q2]> > HR. For more advance riders the 3DX model has more functions such as cadance and downloadable to[/q2]
[q2]> > home computer for further viewing. Can also be worn as a watch. Hairy chested users will have[/q2]
[q2]> > trouble making contact with the cheststrap transmitter and they all have trouble with[/q2]
[q2]> > interferance from other radio sources such as high voltage power lines. I have tried many other[/q2]
[q2]> > makes over 19 year span. Cateye is the best. Happy cycling Steve[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > "Cletus D. Lee" wrote:[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q3]> > > Any HRM recommendations out there? I tried and did not like the Polar M21 HRM[/q3]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> --[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org[/q1]
[q1]> - Bellaire, TX USA -[/q1]

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1
Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

On 8 Jan 2003 14:38:52 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

[q1]>Jon Meinecke <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>: Maybe it's the fact that my bike has a steel triangulated frame,-- no wait, no HRM problems on[/q1]
[q1]>: the BikeE, either. It must be the tin-foil liner in my h*lm*t... %^P[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I thought tin foil is good only against mind control rays. Have you tried wrapping the diamond[/q1]
[q1]>frame in tin foil?[/q1]

My diamond frame days are long over, but I have thought of shrink wrapping my front wheel...

Cletus's most recently acquired bike is an AL 'baton' bike! %^) It probably acts as an antennae for
all the EMI that's darn-near- everywhere and made his Polar M21 HRM unusable.

The BikeE is an AL 'beam' bike. %^o But it has an open port in the back to direct the EMI at the
unsuspecting roadies who regularly pass it. With the appropriate driver it would also make an
excellent subwoofer.

The Tour Easy frame has triangles, lots of triangles!

- Pyramids have triangles, and pyramids focus 'good
cosmic energy'. (Everyone knows this!)

- Therefore the Tour Easy frame creates a zone of good energy displacing EMI that would otherwise
cause my HRM to miscount.

- The parabolic reflector I carry on the front of the bike helps direct the good energy from the
frame onto me. (It's clear so that the displaced bad energy can pass through.)

The tin-foil h*lm*t liner is strictly a fashion statement. It does protect me from "Spiney Norman",
the giant hedgehog, however, when he's haunting Dimsdale Pirrahna.

Jon Meinecke net.subtle-apteryx

MLB <[email protected]> wrote:
[q1]: [email protected] wrote in news:avhd5s$77p$1 @oravannahka.helsinki.fi:[/q1]

[q1]:> Jon Meinecke <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]:>: Maybe it's the fact that my bike has a steel triangulated frame,-- no wait, no HRM problems on[/q1]
[q1]:>: the BikeE, either. It must be the tin-foil liner in my h*lm*t... %^P[/q1]
[q1]:>[/q1]
[q1]:> I thought tin foil is good only against mind control rays. Have you tried wrapping the diamond[/q1]
[q1]:> frame in tin foil?[/q1]
[q1]:>[/q1]

[q1]: I wrapped my whole trike in foil and no longer have trouble with those pesky aliens !!!!!![/q1]

I bet that's not legal in all states.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

I used to have a Cateye one which would conk out whenever I got close to a one-man-operated bus...

Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Jon Meinecke <[email protected]> wrote:
: Maybe it's the fact that my bike has a steel triangulated frame,-- no wait, no HRM problems on the
: BikeE, either. It must be the tin-foil liner in my h*lm*t... %^P

I thought tin foil is good only against mind control rays. Have you tried wrapping the diamond frame
in tin foil?

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

Jon Meinecke wrote:
>
> Maybe it's the fact that my bike has a steel triangulated frame,-- no wait, no HRM problems on the
> BikeE, either. It must be the tin-foil liner in my h*lm*t... %^P

Where does one find tin foil - I can only find aluminum/aluminium foil?

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
Dragonflyer

I used to have a Cateye one which would conk out whenever I got close to a one-man-operated bus...

Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Jon Meinecke <[email protected]> wrote:
: Maybe it's the fact that my bike has a steel triangulated frame,-- no wait, no HRM problems on the
: BikeE, either. It must be the tin-foil liner in my h*lm*t... %^P

I thought tin foil is good only against mind control rays. Have you tried wrapping the diamond frame
in tin foil?

--

Jon Meinecke wrote:
>
> Maybe it's the fact that my bike has a steel triangulated frame,-- no wait, no HRM problems on the
> BikeE, either. It must be the tin-foil liner in my h*lm*t... %^P

Where does one find tin foil - I can only find aluminum/aluminium foil?

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
Dragonflyer

"Jon Meinecke" skrev
> My diamond frame days are long over, but I have thought of shrink wrapping my front wheel...

Okay I'll ask...How do you wrap a shrink around your front wheel and if you manage to do it we
want pictures.

M.

"Jon Meinecke" skrev
> My diamond frame days are long over, but I have thought of shrink wrapping my front wheel...

Okay I'll ask...How do you wrap a shrink around your front wheel and if you manage to do it we
want pictures.

M.

dunno, here we only have "silver paper" :-(. You have photo of aluminium foil?

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> Jon Meinecke wrote:
> >
> > Maybe it's the fact that my bike has a steel triangulated frame,-- no wait, no HRM problems on
> > the BikeE, either. It must be the tin-foil liner in my h*lm*t... %^P
>
> Where does one find tin foil - I can only find aluminum/aluminium foil?
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
> Dragonflyer

dunno, here we only have "silver paper" :-(. You have photo of aluminium foil?

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> Jon Meinecke wrote:
> >
> > Maybe it's the fact that my bike has a steel triangulated frame,-- no wait, no HRM problems on
> > the BikeE, either. It must be the tin-foil liner in my h*lm*t... %^P
>
> Where does one find tin foil - I can only find aluminum/aluminium foil?
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
> Dragonflyer

Jon Meinecke wrote:
>
> Cletus's most recently acquired bike is an AL 'baton' bike! %^) It probably acts as an antennae
> for all the EMI that's darn-near- everywhere and made his Polar M21 HRM unusable....

I believe the Bacchetta Giro frame is made from 4130 Cro-Moly steel.

Dragonflyer

Torben Scheel wrote:
>
> dunno, here we only have "silver paper" :-(. You have photo of aluminium foil?

See: <http://www.alufoil.org/ >, home page of EAFA (European Aluminium Foil Association).

Dragonflyer

Jon Meinecke wrote:
>
> Cletus's most recently acquired bike is an AL 'baton' bike! %^) It probably acts as an antennae
> for all the EMI that's darn-near- everywhere and made his Polar M21 HRM unusable....

I believe the Bacchetta Giro frame is made from 4130 Cro-Moly steel.

Dragonflyer

Status
Not open for further replies.