http://tutorials.unicyclist.com

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by andrew_carter, May 20, 2004.

  1. Peter (munimanpete) is currently building me a beautiful website for an
    assignment of his which will eventually be home to what will hopefully
    be a great range of unicycling tips and tutorials. The address will be
    http://tutorials.unicyclist.com but it's not finished yet. You can see
    the form it's going to take if you visit
    www.freewebs.com/andrewcarter/template1.htm . I think it's looking
    fantastic and very professional. It'll hopefully be really easy to
    navigate and fast to load for all you 56k people out there.

    If you follow that link you can see basically what content it will have.
    I've made a few video tutorials already and am going to make a whole
    bunch of them covering all the things I can think of (well all the
    helpful things I can think of) but for this site to really be helpful to
    lots of unicyclists it'd be great to have a range of opinions and
    contributions. I'm going to add Klaas' and my 'Leanring to Unicycle'
    document and track down some important tips that have been mentioned in
    threads here.

    I'd really like to use the photos and captions found at
    http://tinyurl.com/3dzna in the maintenance section with Bruce's
    permission. Would you mind Bruce? I'd also really like to add the
    Miyata handle fix but couldn't find the original instructions. Any
    suggestions? The closest I could find was this -
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuo49 . If I can't find the original,
    would you mind if I use this Dave?

    I'd also love to use Ryan's video tutorial on high hopping but couldn't
    find it. Anyone have a link? Do you mind Ryan?

    *If I've missed something important or any of you have anything you'd be
    willing to contribute, please let me know.* I think this site's got a
    lot of potential. I'd really love some muni and freestyle tutorials to
    fill in some empty spots.

    Thanks,
    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

  2. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albus24

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  3. munimanpete

    munimanpete Guest

    Yeah the site is coming along really nicely. Me and Andrew have decided
    on a final design for it (click on the link Andrew provided above to see
    it) and now just need to add the content. I think its going to be a
    great site and everyone has to support it!

    --
    munimanpete - come on and do the muni

    "Look mum, that boy's on a circus bike"
    munimanpete's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6311

  4. daino149

    daino149 Guest

  5. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    andrew_carter wrote:
    > *I'd also really like to add the Miyata handle fix but couldn't find
    > the original instructions. Any suggestions? The closest I could find
    > was this - http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuo49 . If I can't find
    > the original, would you mind if I use this Dave?
    > *

    No I don't mind at all. I'll rework it a bit in light of recent
    learning. I'm not sure it's online right now, but I'll find out. If I
    forget just PM me because things are busy right now.

    --
    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

    -- Dave Stockton

  6. teachndad

    teachndad Guest

    Andrew,

    You go guy!! This is a really great idea and one that has been needed.
    Thanks for all the hard work you and your buddies are doing to support
    unicycling.

    YOU ROCK DUDE!!

    --
    teachndad - The Munieer

    Rod Wylie

    teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

  7. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    Andrew and Peter,

    The site is looking great and could become a very good and much used
    platform for learning tips. Thanks for going through the effort! Kudos
    to both of you!

    (See also my comment in the FREE freemount thread.)

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the comfort of Savage unis

  8. munimanpete

    munimanpete Guest

    I have now made all the pages for the site. Only 'Guestbook' 'Requests'
    and 'Obstacle building' have content on them (and not all of it). Just
    though i'd let you know.

    --
    munimanpete - come on and do the muni

    "Look mum, that boy's on a circus bike"
    munimanpete's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6311

  9. Thanks a lot guys. Just remember that we can never have too many
    opinions on how to do something, so if you've got some advice, please
    donate it.

    It's looking great Peter.

    Thanks,
    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

  10. Can anyone please tell me where I can find that analysis of Dan Heaton's
    (was it his?) hop onto the car at Unicon? I mean the one with the
    series of frames analysed. Who created it?

    Thanks,
    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

  11. I don't know whether he'd let you use them, but Dave Mariner has some
    programs which analysed the pressure placed on pedals by beginner,
    intermediate, and advanced riders. I think they did more. The upshot of
    it all was that better riders place much less weight on the pedals, and
    ride smoother etc.

    I couldn't find a direct link on the site. but the address is
    http://www.unicycle.co.uk/research.htm

    The jump2 program is quite interesting, it shows why we bend unicycles
    so often!

    --
    theamazingmolio - A Unicylist, a juggler, and a prat

    Luke Duller ([email protected])
    Never trust anything you read on the internet
    theamazingmolio's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5931

  12. Thanks a lot for the link, I don't see the harm in linking to that page,
    but I will get permission first.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

  13. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    andrew_carter wrote:
    > *Can anyone please tell me where I can find that analysis of Dan
    > Heaton's (was it his?) hop onto the car at Unicon? I mean the one
    > with the series of frames analysed. Who created it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Andrew *

    It's in my 'Miscellaneous Stuff gallery'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs_misc). The text in the
    gallery gives info on rhysling and a link to the thread where he
    originally posted the frame by frame analysis of the jump.

    The one thing missing, though, is that the analysis doesn't mention the
    need to drop your heel of your rear foot just before springing up for
    the take-off. Once I started dropping my heel I started getting more
    height from my rolling hops. I think that's the big secret to the
    rolling hop. Drop your heel.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  14. Thanks a lot John, I'll put it up there along with your heel dropping
    comment and give the appropriate credits. Do you have an email for
    Christopher that he uses regularly?

    Thanks a lot,
    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

  15. John,
    Should I copy the video and photos into my tutorials.unicyclist.com
    album or will it stay in your miscellaneous folder permanently? It
    would lose some quality in the transfer to another album wouldn't it?
    (that's not really that important, I'm just generally curious)

    Thanks,
    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

  16. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    andrew_carter wrote:
    > *John,
    > Should I copy the video and photos into my tutorials.unicyclist.com
    > album or will it stay in your miscellaneous folder permanently? It
    > would lose some quality in the transfer to another album wouldn't it?
    > (that's not really that important, I'm just generally curious)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Andrew *

    Copy it to your site. That's the safest way to make sure you have it.
    I don't plan on moving it, or changing the file name, or anything like
    that, but you never know. If you have it on your server you have
    control over it. Just make sure Chris LeFay gets credit. I no idea how
    to contact Chris now that he's no longer frequenting the forums (unless
    he's quietly lurking).

    It won't loose any quality by copying it. It will only loose quality if
    you decide to re-encode it.

    The bummer is that the video is not the best quality. It would be cool
    if someone did a higher quality video of a big rolling hop and then
    redid the frame by frame out takes showing what is going on. But that
    would be a lot of work.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  17. http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album123

    More videos tutorials are now up in the storage album (which I just
    realised has an easy to remember name). Tonight I did tutorials on roll
    back mounts, rolling mounts, and rail riding.

    Peter said that when he downloads and plays the 640x480 versions of the
    tutorials they seem much worse in quality than the 320x240 ones. This
    doesn't happen on my computer. What's going on? Has anybody else
    noticed this?

    Anyway, enjoy the tutorials.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

  18. Watch it again...it says swing your upper body to the right. This
    pushes your hips left and keeps your centre of gravity over the rail.
    The lower half of the body has a big effect on where your centre of
    gravity is. I think I'll have to make a few notes in greater detail to
    go along with the video. The problem is I couldn't make the video too
    long so I could only put so much text in there. Thanks.

    Andrew