http://tutorials.unicyclist.com

Andrew_carter

Guest
Peter (munimanpete) is currently building me a beautiful
website for an assignment of his which will eventually be
home to what will hopefully be a great range of unicycling
tips and tutorials. The address will be
http://tutorials.unicyclist.com but it's not finished yet.
You can see the form it's going to take if you visit
www.freewebs.com/andrewcarter/template1.htm . I think it's
looking fantastic and very professional. It'll hopefully be
really easy to navigate and fast to load for all you 56k
people out there.

If you follow that link you can see basically what content
it will have. I've made a few video tutorials already and am
going to make a whole bunch of them covering all the things
I can think of (well all the helpful things I can think of)
but for this site to really be helpful to lots of
unicyclists it'd be great to have a range of opinions and
contributions. I'm going to add Klaas' and my 'Leanring to
Unicycle' document and track down some important tips that
have been mentioned in threads here.

I'd really like to use the photos and captions found at
http://tinyurl.com/3dzna in the maintenance section with
Bruce's permission. Would you mind Bruce? I'd also really
like to add the Miyata handle fix but couldn't find the
original instructions. Any suggestions? The closest I could
find was this - http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuo49 . If I
can't find the original, would you mind if I use this Dave?

I'd also love to use Ryan's video tutorial on high hopping
but couldn't find it. Anyone have a link? Do you mind Ryan?

*If I've missed something important or any of you have
anything you'd be willing to contribute, please let me
know.* I think this site's got a lot of potential. I'd
really love some muni and freestyle tutorials to fill in
some empty spots.

Thanks, Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albus24

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Andrew and Peter,

The site is looking great and could become a very good and
much used platform for learning tips. Thanks for going
through the effort! Kudos to both of you!

(See also my comment in the FREE freemount thread.)

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat
post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the

Yeah the site is coming along really nicely. Me and Andrew
have decided on a final design for it (click on the link
Andrew provided above to see
it) and now just need to add the content. I think its going
to be a great site and everyone has to support it!

--
munimanpete - come on and do the muni

"Look mum, that boy's on a circus bike"
munimanpete's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6311

The site looks great! And it's a really good idea. Thumbs up
to the two of you.

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino
Sig count: 2
04.05.14 10636
04.05.15 10772
04.05.16 10861
04.05.19 11088

andrew_carter wrote:
> *I'd also really like to add the Miyata handle fix but
> couldn't find the original instructions. Any suggestions?
> The closest I could find was this -
> http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuo49 . If I can't find
> the original, would you mind if I use this Dave? *
No I don't mind at all. I'll rework it a bit in light of
recent learning. I'm not sure it's online right now, but
I'll find out. If I forget just PM me because things are
busy right now.

--
U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

I have now made all the pages for the site. Only 'Guestbook'
'Requests' and 'Obstacle building' have content on them (and
not all of it). Just though i'd let you know.

--
munimanpete - come on and do the muni

"Look mum, that boy's on a circus bike"
munimanpete's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6311

Thanks a lot guys. Just remember that we can never have too
many opinions on how to do something, so if you've got some
advice, please donate it.

It's looking great Peter.

Thanks, Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

Can anyone please tell me where I can find that analysis of
Dan Heaton's (was it his?) hop onto the car at Unicon? I
mean the one with the series of frames analysed. Who
created it?

Thanks, Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

I don't know whether he'd let you use them, but Dave Mariner
has some programs which analysed the pressure placed on
pedals by beginner, intermediate, and advanced riders. I
think they did more. The upshot of it all was that better
riders place much less weight on the pedals, and ride
smoother etc.

I couldn't find a direct link on the site. but the address
is http://www.unicycle.co.uk/research.htm

The jump2 program is quite interesting, it shows why we bend
unicycles so often!

--
theamazingmolio - A Unicylist, a juggler, and a prat

Luke Duller ([email protected])
Never trust anything you read on the internet
theamazingmolio's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5931

Thanks a lot for the link, I don't see the harm in linking
to that page, but I will get permission first.

Andrew

--

andrew_carter wrote:
> *Can anyone please tell me where I can find that analysis
> of Dan Heaton's (was it his?) hop onto the car at Unicon?
> I mean the one with the series of frames analysed. Who
> created it?
>
> Thanks, Andrew *

It's in my 'Miscellaneous Stuff gallery'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs_misc). The text
in the gallery gives info on rhysling and a link to the
thread where he originally posted the frame by frame
analysis of the jump.

The one thing missing, though, is that the analysis doesn't
mention the need to drop your heel of your rear foot just
before springing up for the take-off. Once I started
dropping my heel I started getting more height from my
rolling hops. I think that's the big secret to the rolling
hop. Drop your heel.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thanks a lot John, I'll put it up there along with your heel
dropping comment and give the appropriate credits. Do you
have an email for Christopher that he uses regularly?

Thanks a lot, Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

John, Should I copy the video and photos into my
tutorials.unicyclist.com album or will it stay in your
miscellaneous folder permanently? It would lose some quality
in the transfer to another album wouldn't it? (that's not
really that important, I'm just generally curious)

Thanks, Andrew

--

andrew_carter wrote:
> *John, Should I copy the video and photos into my
> tutorials.unicyclist.com album or will it stay in your
> miscellaneous folder permanently? It would lose some
> quality in the transfer to another album wouldn't it?
> (that's not really that important, I'm just generally
> curious)
>
> Thanks, Andrew *

Copy it to your site. That's the safest way to make sure you
have it. I don't plan on moving it, or changing the file
name, or anything like that, but you never know. If you have
it on your server you have control over it. Just make sure
Chris LeFay gets credit. I no idea how to contact Chris now
that he's no longer frequenting the forums (unless he's
quietly lurking).

It won't loose any quality by copying it. It will only loose
quality if you decide to re-encode it.

The bummer is that the video is not the best quality. It
would be cool if someone did a higher quality video of a big
rolling hop and then redid the frame by frame out takes
showing what is going on. But that would be a lot of work.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album123

More videos tutorials are now up in the storage album
(which I just realised has an easy to remember name).
Tonight I did tutorials on roll back mounts, rolling
mounts, and rail riding.

Peter said that when he downloads and plays the 640x480
versions of the tutorials they seem much worse in quality
than the 320x240 ones. This doesn't happen on my computer.
What's going on? Has anybody else noticed this?

Anyway, enjoy the tutorials.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

Watch it again...it says swing your upper body to the right.
This pushes your hips left and keeps your centre of gravity
over the rail. The lower half of the body has a big effect
on where your centre of gravity is. I think I'll have to
make a few notes in greater detail to go along with the
video. The problem is I couldn't make the video too long so
I could only put so much text in there. Thanks.

Andrew