Hub adjustment question

StackenBlocken

Nov 20, 2003
If i adjust the my hubs (LX cup and cone) so that i can't feel any play when the wheel is mounted on the bike, there is slight but noticable play when i have the wheel removed. Is this because the skewer is compressing things just enough to remove the play when the wheel is mounted? How should my hubs be adjusted: so that there is no play when mounted on the bike, or no play ever? Does a little extra bearing preload cause premature wear? Also, would better bearings make any difference if the cones and the races are left alone?

Thanks for any help you can offer, and have a nice day.

Originally posted by StackenBlocken
If i adjust the my hubs (LX cup and cone) so that i can't feel any play when the wheel is mounted on the bike, there is slight but noticable play when i have the wheel removed. Is this because the skewer is compressing things just enough to remove the play when the wheel is mounted?
Yes. check www.parktool.com repair section

Originally posted by StackenBlocken
If i adjust the my hubs (LX cup and cone) so that i can't feel any play when the wheel is mounted on the bike, there is slight but noticable play when i have the wheel removed. Is this because the skewer is compressing things just enough to remove the play when the wheel is mounted? How should my hubs be adjusted: so that there is no play when mounted on the bike, or no play ever? Does a little extra bearing preload cause premature wear? Also, would better bearings make any difference if the cones and the races are left alone?

Thanks for any help you can offer, and have a nice day.

I agree with the other posters.
Sheldon Brown has good instructions and a nice device that can help you attain the proper results out of the frame/fork if that is difficult for you.
http://sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html
New better Ball Bearings will not have any effect on what you are dealing with here, but it is always nice to have a total replacement set of grade 25 bearings ready for when you need them.