Hub dynamo wheelbuild - spoke length

Pete Biggs wrote:
> "D" stands for disc brake. To confuse the issue with a third number, the
> Mavic tech site says 600mm for the standard version:

I suppose that this isn't necessarily a disagreement with the slightly
larger numbers since it is the "spoke support diameter" not the ERD, and
therefore (presumably) doesn't include the nipple flange height.

> Too-long spokes shouldn't be a problem as long as you haven't run out of
> thread and can prevent punctures to rim tape and inner tube.

I still have about 5mm of thread engagement, which I 'judged' to be
sufficient. Fortunately the depth of the A319 rim has kept the ends of
the spokes well clear of the rim tape. In any case, the wheel survived
thirty-odd miles around the Dales this morning, so I'm somewhat reassured.

Thanks for the link, Pete. I wonder why Mavic hide that data behind
password protection?

Bob

Bob Johnstone wrote:
> Pete Biggs wrote:
>> "D" stands for disc brake. To confuse the issue with a third
>> number, the Mavic tech site says 600mm for the standard version:

> I suppose that this isn't necessarily a disagreement with the slightly
> larger numbers since it is the "spoke support diameter" not the ERD,
> and therefore (presumably) doesn't include the nipple flange height.

I think you must be right. Thanks for that. This may help someone on
another forum who was also having trouble with the same rim.

>> Too-long spokes shouldn't be a problem as long as you haven't run
>> out of thread and can prevent punctures to rim tape and inner tube.

> I still have about 5mm of thread engagement, which I 'judged' to be
> sufficient. Fortunately the depth of the A319 rim has kept the ends of
> the spokes well clear of the rim tape. In any case, the wheel survived
> thirty-odd miles around the Dales this morning, so I'm somewhat
> reassured.
>
> Thanks for the link, Pete. I wonder why Mavic hide that data behind
> password protection?

You're wel.com. Always gets on my nerves that Mavic don't want us filthy
punters who provide their income to know the specs, so I don't feel guilty
about grassing the password. It has been frequently posted to the
internet for years anyway; funny Mavic havn't changed it.

~PB

Jim Price wrote:

>> Lesson learnt: Check length of all spokes before lacing wheel.

> If the spokes were within a 2mm range, there was no mix up.

There was in my case. I removed some and measured because I was so
confused and worried I'd done something wrong, then started again. I was
not supplied with what I ordered. Can't remember what the difference was
now, probably more than 2mm, and I think the problem was compounded by
/all/ the spokes being slightly the wrong length for the wheel anyway (my
fault, that bit).

BTW, I used different gauges for rear left and right spokes.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Always gets on my nerves that Mavic don't want us filthy
> punters who provide their income to know the specs, so I don't feel guilty
> about grassing the password. It has been frequently posted to the
> internet for years anyway;

Good thing too, otherwise dealers wouldn't have access either!

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

m-gineering wrote:
> Pete Biggs wrote:
>> Always gets on my nerves that Mavic don't want us filthy
>> punters who provide their income to know the specs, so I don't feel guilty
>> about grassing the password. It has been frequently posted to the
>> internet for years anyway;

> Good thing too, otherwise dealers wouldn't have access either!

The BugMeNot extension for Mozilla solves most of my site registration
demand problems. http://www.bugmenot.com/

--
Tony

Anon

Pete Biggs wrote:
<snippage>
> BTW, I used different gauges for rear left and right spokes.

A good idea, but only second place in my opinion to using a rear rim
with offset spoke holes to try and avoid the problems with heavily
dished rear wheels (unless you are the owner of a frame which has been
offset to allow a completely un-dished rear wheel - why isn't that more
common?). A cure is better than a treatment, if it is available.

It would seem that there aren't any really light/fast rims easily and
cheaply available here with an offset option - unless anyone else knows
about some. I don't want to have to buy a complete Trek bike just to get
a rear rim of a design I like is what I'm saying. Having said that, I do
have a plan to swap the rim from the front wheel of a Fisher 29er with a
rear touring rim, as I can't see the advantage of an offset front rim!

Anyway, my serious touring wheels have bigger drive side rear spokes, as
it has been recommended to me as a good idea by Spa Cycles, and the
evidence so far suggests they are not wrong.

JimP

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Mark McNeill wrote:
>> Response to Alan Braggins:
>>> I wasn't going to bother installing Office (or OpenOffice) on this machine
>>> until I'd got round to buying a bigger disk

>> I noticed not long ago that at 193 mb, my OpenOffice installation is
>> bigger than the hard drive was on my first Windows machine.
>>

> The modern version of Parkinson's Law - "data expands to fill the
> storage available"

Most of us have far too little data to make much impression on the the
vast capacity of modern computers, but fortunately the Gates Gang have
come to our rescue.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]