hub dynamo

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jon Martin, Apr 26, 2003.

  1. Jon Martin

    Jon Martin Guest

    Hi,

    I'm thinking of getting a hub dynamo; which is better - the shimano or the Schmidt (half as
    much again).

    Also - I'm a 15 stone rider doing mostly commuting and a little touring
    - any suggestions on which would be the best rims (looking at St John Street cycles in
    particular...).

    TIA

    Jon
    --
    Why does everything nice I buy at the moment keep @##*%ing breaking? [email protected] NOT!!
    nospam=defblade

    Tags:

  2. Jon Rogers

    Jon Rogers Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Jon Martin wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm thinking of getting a hub dynamo; which is better - the shimano or the Schmidt (half as
    > much again).
    >
    > Also - I'm a 15 stone rider doing mostly commuting and a little touring
    > - any suggestions on which would be the best rims (looking at St John Street cycles in
    > particular...).
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Jon

    I know this doesn't fully answer the question, but FWIW I'm 18 stone (ish) and have not yet managed
    to break a Sun Rhyno, with a Shimano hub dynamo at it's centre. From St John St by co-incidence.

    --
    Also Jon (jondotrogersatntlworlddotcom)

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 17:39:20 +0100, Jon Martin <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm thinking of getting a hub dynamo; which is better - the shimano or the Schmidt (half as
    >much again).

    The Schmidt is the better by a country mile, but the Shimano is better value. Commuting round town I
    would have a Nexus. Extensive riding on unlit roads I would have a Schmidt.

    I currently have one of each, a Nexus on the tourer and a SON on the 'bent. I use both bikes for
    commuting along unlit country roads. The Nexus is good, the SON excellent. If I were rebuilding the
    tourer I would probably have another Nexus, because I mostly commute on the 'bent now and only ride
    the tourer round town or on club rides where there are plenty of other lit riders (and if it's
    likely to be real dark I take a headtorch anyway, as I do when I commute).

    Also, whichever dynamo you get, the SON E6 headlight is particularly good, much better than the
    Busch & Muller Lumotec (although without the standlight, so go for the B&M if ou are mainly riding
    round town).

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  4. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 20:10:54 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Also, whichever dynamo you get, the SON E6 headlight is particularly good, much better than the
    >Busch & Muller Lumotec (although without the standlight, so go for the B&M if ou are mainly riding
    >round town).

    I've tried the B&M Lumotec round and oval. Currently I've got an oval with standlicht and 3w lamp. I
    find it gives a nice bright beam but quite narrow. It's mounted on a headset bracket. What
    improvements does the SON E6 offer? I'm thinking about getting a hub dynamo too, so it would be
    silly not to upgrade the light at the same time.

    Tim

  5. Sabineuk

    Sabineuk Guest

    Jon Martin said:

    >I'm thinking of getting a hub dynamo; which is better - the shimano or the Schmidt (half as
    >much again).

    Schmidt. No two ways about it, it's a lovely bit of kit. If you can afford it, you won't regret a
    penny of it.

    On the other hand, the Shimano is perfectly functional - it's just not as nice as the SON.

    John

  6. Paul Rudin

    Paul Rudin Guest

    [email protected] (SabineUK) writes:

    > Jon Martin said:
    >
    > >I'm thinking of getting a hub dynamo; which is better - the shimano or the Schmidt (half as much
    > >again).
    >
    > Schmidt. No two ways about it, it's a lovely bit of kit. If you can afford it, you won't regret a
    > penny of it.
    >
    > On the other hand, the Shimano is perfectly functional - it's just not as nice as the SON.

    I have a Schmidt and have been pleased with it. It's lighter than the Shimano I think. When
    you're not using it the resistance reduces; with the Shimano you have the same resistance whether
    you're using you lights or not AIUI. Also the additioanl resistance when in use is less that for
    the Shimano.

  7. Oh, what I'd give to be a 15 stone rider again!!!

    I've never tried a hub dynamo - I don't ride in the dark - despite suggestions that I should to
    protect the sensibilities of others! - so I just use a bottom-bracket Sanyo dynamo.

    On rims, though, any well built wheel should be fine. I've used Mavic Argent for four years, and
    have no problems. I use Michelin WorldTour tyres, inflated to 6bar - I got a track pump a few weeks
    ago, and it really showed how underinflated my tyres were (about 2bar!). I was getting pinch-hits
    all the time, and haven't had a single one since I pumped up the tyres!

    Regards,

    Pete.

    ---------------------------
    Peter Connolly Acute Computing Derby UK

    "Jon Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm thinking of getting a hub dynamo; which is better - the shimano or the Schmidt (half as
    > much again).
    >
    > Also - I'm a 15 stone rider doing mostly commuting and a little touring
    > - any suggestions on which would be the best rims (looking at St John Street cycles in
    > particular...).
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Jon
    > --
    > Why does everything nice I buy at the moment keep @##*%ing breaking? [email protected] NOT!!
    > nospam=defblade

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 21:30:42 +0100, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What improvements does the SON E6 offer? I'm thinking about getting a hub dynamo too, so it would
    > be silly not to upgrade the light at the same time.

    The SON has a much more focused beam, based on the BISY optics, so the light is all in the places
    you want it. There's a page somewhere which shows comparisons, but I can't find the bookmark, so
    I'll have to Google for it.

    If you buy a SON, keep the B&M and get the E6 as well - connect in series as per the instructions
    and you get the best of both worlds. It's what I have on the 'bent.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 27 Apr 2003 08:14:14 +0100, Paul Rudin <[email protected]> wrote:

    >with the Shimano you have the same resistance whether you're using you lights or not AIUI.

    Not so. The Nexus is nearly as good as the SON, and produces full output (IME) at slightly slower
    speeds - although that could be the bike, as the SON is on a 20" wheel and the Nexus on a 700c. The
    mass is comparable, but the SON does have slightly less drag (neither is bad) and the SON also
    allows for 12V systems, which are very good. The Nexus comes with a very handy light-activated
    switch, though, so is absolutely perfect for a round-town commuter bike.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  10. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
    <[email protected]> typed:
    > On 27 Apr 2003 08:14:14 +0100, Paul Rudin <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> with the Shimano you have the same resistance whether you're using you lights or not AIUI.
    >
    > Not so. The Nexus is nearly as good as the SON, and produces full output (IME) at slightly slower
    > speeds - although that could be the bike, as the SON is on a 20" wheel and the Nexus on a 700c.
    > The mass is comparable, but the SON does have slightly less drag (neither is bad) and the SON also
    > allows for 12V systems, which are very good. The Nexus comes with a very handy light-activated
    > switch, though, so is absolutely perfect for a round-town commuter bike.

    You are both part right. At slow speeds the Shimano has less drag with the lights off, at higher
    speed it has less drag with the lights on but you'd be hard pushed to notice the difference. The
    Shimano is marginally higher output at low speed but lower at high speed. The test data taken by
    Chris Juden is reproduced on Myra's website at http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/dynotest.html

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 21:54:32 +0100, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The test data taken by Chris Juden is reproduced on Myra's website

    Isn't that the old Inter-L? The newer Nexus was improved in several respects, not least reduced drag
    when not powering - or so I was told.

    Either way, as a user of both I can recommend either without hesitation.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  12. "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 21:30:42 +0100, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > What improvements does the SON E6 offer? I'm thinking about getting a hub dynamo too, so it
    > > would be silly not to upgrade the light at the same time.
    >
    > The SON has a much more focused beam, based on the BISY optics, so the light is all in the places
    > you want it. There's a page somewhere which shows comparisons, but I can't find the bookmark, so
    > I'll have to Google for it.
    >
    > If you buy a SON, keep the B&M and get the E6 as well - connect in series as per the instructions
    > and you get the best of both worlds. It's what I have on the 'bent.

    for 12v use you'll need the appropriate light. Either the Son Lumotec-Z or the E6-Z.

    Light comparison at http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Komponenten/Scheinwerfer/
    --
    Marten

    NEW WEBADRESS: www.M-Gineering.nl

  13. [email protected] schreef ...
    > On 27 Apr 2003 08:14:14 +0100, Paul Rudin <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >with the Shimano you have the same resistance whether you're using you lights or not AIUI.
    >
    > Not so. The Nexus is nearly as good as the SON, and produces full output (IME) at slightly slower
    > speeds - although that could be the bike, as the SON is on a 20" wheel and the Nexus on a 700c.

    Is it a proper SON 20"?

    --
    Regards, Marten

  14. Paul Rudin

    Paul Rudin Guest

    JzGyk> On 27 Apr 2003 08:14:14 +0100, Paul Rudin <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> with the Shimano you have the same resistance whether you're using you lights or not AIUI.

    JzGyk> Not so. The Nexus is nearly as good as the SON, and produces full output (IME) at slightly
    JzGyk> slower speeds -

    I'm not sure if we're at cross-purposs or not: I remember reading up on it when I bought mine and
    recall that that there's always some drag from the dynamo with the Shimano, whereas the Schmidt has
    some mechanism for moving the magnets so that when you don't need the lights this isn't so.

    JzGyk> The Nexus comes with a very handy light-activated switch, though, so is absolutely perfect
    JzGyk> for a round-town commuter bike.

    The switch doesn't need to be part of the dynamo presuambly? You can get lights with such switches
    that work with the schmidt as well. I didn't buy one myself since my front light is mounted where I
    can easily reach the switch; and I was worried that the sensor might have different ideas from me
    about the level of light at which switching on is appropriate :)

    --
    Do you need any MOUTH-TO-MOUTH resuscitation?

  15. Hello, I have a Thorn Nomad fitted with a Union (Scmidt) and it is just great. I do not even notice
    it and sometimes ride daytime with it on unknowingly. Regards, John.

    --
    John, Pauline & Hannah. Thornbury, South Gloucestershire. UK. http://www.pbase.com/john28july

  16. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    Paul Rudin <[email protected]> said:

    > The switch doesn't need to be part of the dynamo presuambly? You can get lights with such switches
    > that work with the schmidt as well. I didn't buy one myself since my front light is mounted where
    > I can easily reach the switch; and I was worried that the sensor might have different ideas from
    > me about the level of light at which switching on is appropriate :)

    The Nexus switch has some current limiting circuitry, mounts on the fork crown and has three
    positions: off, auto (the sensor) and on. I generally don't use the sensor position as it's easy
    enough to reach down and flick the power on when I need to.

    Regards,

    -david

  17. Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Also, whichever dynamo you get, the SON E6 headlight is particularly good, much better than the
    >Busch & Muller Lumotec (although without the standlight, so go for the B&M if ou are mainly riding
    >round town).

    The SON E6 is the same light as the Bisy FL-SR, but with an alloy body and switch. OTOH it is 3
    times the price. I got a cheap switch elsewhere and took the plastic Bisy.

    I wouldn't worry about a standlight, because I always ride with at least one backup battery light
    anyway. Dynamos are highly reliable, but nothing is perfect.

  18. M-Gineering import & framebouw <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
    >>If you buy a SON, keep the B&M and get the E6 as well - connect in series as per the instructions
    >>and you get the best of both worlds. It's what I have on the 'bent.
    >for 12v use you'll need the appropriate light. Either the Son Lumotec-Z or the E6-Z.

    Guy is advocating connecting them in series, where standard 6V lights are needed.

  19. Paul Rudin wrote:

    > JzGyk> Not so. The Nexus is nearly as good as the SON, and produces full output (IME) at slightly
    > JzGyk> slower speeds -
    >
    > I'm not sure if we're at cross-purposs or not: I remember reading up on it when I bought mine and
    > recall that that there's always some drag from the dynamo with the Shimano, whereas the Schmidt
    > has some mechanism for moving the magnets so that when you don't need the lights this isn't so.

    No mechanism, just a different level of engineering
    --
    Marten

  20. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Paul Rudin wrote:

    > easily reach the switch; and I was worried that the sensor might have different ideas from me
    > about the level of light at which switching on is appropriate :)

    I have the Lumotec Sensor, and on my 'bent the sensor is underneath the chain guard on the crank
    boom so it's quite well shielded. And does indeed have a different idea of when it's dark to me,
    being in shadow most of the time anyway, but (a) it's erring on the safe side, (b) I can't really
    tell it's on as far as the effort of pedalling is concerned and (c) there's a manual override on the
    switch anyway. So not a problem.

    I only got the sensor system as it came on the bike when I bought it. At first it struck me as quite
    ridiculously gimmicky, but having been using it for a couple of years I now rather like having to
    never bother thinking about it.

    Pete.
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]ndee.ac.uk
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/