hub dynamo

David Damerell wrote:

> M-Gineering import & framebouw <[email protected]> wrote:
> >"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
> >>If you buy a SON, keep the B&M and get the E6 as well - connect in series as per the
> >>instructions and you get the best of both worlds. It's what I have on the 'bent.
> >for 12v use you'll need the appropriate light. Either the Son Lumotec-Z or the E6-Z.
>
> Guy is advocating connecting them in series, where standard 6V lights are needed.

No they are not. You either save a lot of money and connetc a Bisy in series with a lumotec, and
then you have only the option of running 12v. This means you don't have much light when struggling
up that hill.

If you buy a stock E6 for the purpose you spend a lot of money for the luxury of having two on-off
switches. You'll have lots of fun switching on the lights.

If you get a Schmidt light with the Z designation, the switch bypasses the bulb, so you can run the
other light at 6 v for low speed work. The E6Z has a capacitor fitted which boost the lightoutput at
low speeds, which gives full 12v from 10 mph onwards
--
Marten

M-Gineering import & framebouw <[email protected]> wrote:
>David Damerell wrote:
>>M-Gineering import & framebouw <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>for 12v use you'll need the appropriate light. Either the Son Lumotec-Z or the E6-Z.
>>Guy is advocating connecting them in series, where standard 6V lights are needed.

... but of course you mean lights with integral bypass switches, not lights designed to take 12V all
by their lonesome.

Sorry. My bad.

On 28 Apr 2003 15:29:44 +0100 (BST), David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:

>The SON E6 is the same light as the Bisy FL-SR, but with an alloy body and switch. OTOH it is 3
>times the price. I got a cheap switch elsewhere and took the plastic Bisy.

I know what it is, and bought the E6 because the alloy body seemed well made and - to be blunt - if
I was into counting pennies I wouldn't be riding two grands' worth of recumbent with a hundred-odd
quid dynamo in the first place ;-)

To be completely fair, if I could use PayPal or some other electronic payment means I'd have bought
the whole lot from Marten months ago, but as it happened I was in St John Street buying a triplet
and they had the E6 in stock.

Marten, this is not a criticism. I'm a lazy ******* and can't be arsed posting cheques.

>I wouldn't worry about a standlight, because I always ride with at least one backup battery light
>anyway. Dynamos are highly reliable, but nothing is perfect.

I like the standlight on the oval Lumotec very much although I too ride with a backup light. Hub
dynamos are as close to perfectly reliable as a bicycle compoinent gets, but wires may chafe and
lamps may blow.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:00:17 +0200, Marten Hoffmann <[email protected]> wrote:

>Is it a proper SON 20"?

Yes, special order job, with disc mount.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On 28 Apr 2003 13:15:53 +0100, Paul Rudin <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm not sure if we're at cross-purposs or not: I remember reading up on it when I bought mine and
>recall that that there's always some drag from the dynamo with the Shimano, whereas the Schmidt has
>some mechanism for moving the magnets so that when you don't need the lights this isn't so.

Both work essentially the same way, but the SON is better engineered, and has different shaped
magnetic poles (apparently). Marten is the FSOW on this, so I'll shut up :)

> JzGyk> The Nexus comes with a very handy light-activated switch, though, so is absolutely perfect
> JzGyk> for a round-town commuter bike.

>The switch doesn't need to be part of the dynamo presuambly? You can get lights with such switches
>that work with the schmidt as well.

I'm sure you can; mine works both front and rear lights, and is just the job. It appeals to me. What
can I say? I'm a geek :)

The lads in the club find it endlessly fascinating watching the rear light go on and off. We're a
sad lot :-D

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:06:20 +0200, M-Gineering import & framebouw <[email protected]> wrote:

>No they are not. You either save a lot of money and connetc a Bisy in series with a lumotec, and
>then you have only the option of running 12v. This means you don't have much light when struggling
>up that hill.

Actually I have a Lumotec and a standard E6, with a switch on the handlebars which shorts the E6.
That seems to work quite satisfactorily, but I've no idea yet what effect it will have on lamp life.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
><[email protected]> wrote:
>>The SON E6 is the same light as the Bisy FL-SR, but with an alloy body and switch. OTOH it is 3
>>times the price. I got a cheap switch elsewhere and took the plastic Bisy.
>I know what it is,

Er, yes - I didn't mean to imply that you didn't. But if the OP is considering the Nexus he may well
blanch at 40 quid for a metal body and a switch - I certainly did, and I popped for the SON...

>ride with a backup light. Hub dynamos are as close to perfectly reliable as a bicycle
>compoinent gets,

I would say "handlebars" but I believe both of us have broken a pair. :)

David Damerell wrote:
> Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

>>ride with a backup light. Hub dynamos are as close to perfectly reliable as a bicycle
>>compoinent gets,
>
> I would say "handlebars" but I believe both of us have broken a pair. :)

Neither of my SONs have ever given any trouble at all. However, I've bust two lamp brackets on the
Brompton and had a cable come adrift on the 'bent's back light. Wiring and mounting problems can, of
course, be completely external to the power source...

I haven't bust any bars, but EBC sent me a new pair for my MTB when they sent out a recall notice
for the originals. Doubt they'd have done that if nobody had had a problem with them!

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

M-Gineering import & framebouw <[email protected]> writes:

>David Damerell wrote:

>> M-Gineering import & framebouw <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >for 12v use you'll need the appropriate light. Either the Son Lumotec-Z or the E6-Z.

>> Guy is advocating connecting them in series, where standard 6V lights are needed.

>No they are not. You either save a lot of money and connetc a Bisy in series with a lumotec, and
>then you have only the option of running 12v. This means you don't have much light when struggling
>up that hill.

Which is why you really need two dynamos, one on the wheel hub for freewheeling descents, and one on
the pedal crank, so your cadence keeps the power up going uphill. Easier just to have rechargeable
battery back up, I guess.

--
Chris Malcolm [email protected] +44 (0)131 650 3085 School of Artificial Intelligence, Division of
Informatics Edinburgh University, 5 Forrest Hill, Edinburgh, EH1 2QL, UK