Hub dynamos + Bike Fixed

Just zis Guy, you know?

Guest
1. I want to get herself a hub dynamo for Christmas. The excellent Mr
Gerritsen of this parish advises that the NX32 is not as good as the
old NX30, which leaves me looking for an old-stock NX30 or wondering
how good the NX50 is. Has anybody tried the NX50?

2. Having miserably failed to find an LED front light which will fit
the Brom [DIMIHAB], I phoned Bikefix yesterday afternoon for advice.
They reckon only the standard Brom lamp will fit, so I purchased one.
It arrived in this morning's post! Excellent service.

The Brom has now done over 1000 miles. Splendid bicycle.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> 1. I want to get herself a hub dynamo for Christmas. The excellent Mr
> Gerritsen of this parish advises that the NX32 is not as good as the
> old NX30, which leaves me looking for an old-stock NX30 or wondering
> how good the NX50 is. Has anybody tried the NX50?

Darth Ben said the same of the higher end models. The DH-3N70 is
apparently superior to the 71 (Or is it 72) that is now on sale.

Jon

Jon Senior wrote:
> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>
>> 1. I want to get herself a hub dynamo for Christmas. The excellent Mr
>> Gerritsen of this parish advises that the NX32 is not as good as the
>> old NX30, which leaves me looking for an old-stock NX30 or wondering
>> how good the NX50 is. Has anybody tried the NX50?

> Darth Ben said the same of the higher end models. The DH-3N70 is
> apparently superior to the 71 (Or is it 72) that is now on sale.

It was a DH-3N70 that Santa brought Roos last year, and aside from
complaints that it's a bit boring because all it does is sit there and
work perfectly, it's been very good AIUI. Pre-consultation with Darth
Ben suggested that range was considerably nicer in operation than the
old Nexus, so has herself been only a /moderately/ good girl to get a Nexus?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Tue, 06 Dec 2005 18:49:49 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know?:

>1. I want to get herself a hub dynamo for Christmas. The excellent Mr
>Gerritsen of this parish advises that the NX32 is not as good as the
>old NX30, which leaves me looking for an old-stock NX30 or wondering
>how good the NX50 is. Has anybody tried the NX50?

There are no real big difference between NX30 and 32. The 32 has cut-out
section on one flange what makes it look lighter but really is a little
heavier... The NX50 is designed for mounting a rollerbrake.

The new DH-3N30 has much reduced losses when switched off, cheaper than
anything else, but even heavier than the NX32. Detailed information about
modern hub dynamos can be found in this highly recommended magazine:

http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/VBQgenerator.pdf

Andreas

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 18:49:49 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> said in <[email protected]>:

I had several replies by email as well, thanks all. I am going to try
really hard to talk FiL up to a SON, but otherwise I will try to find
an NX-30 since that is Pretty Damn Good and several people still have
stock (allegedly).

Guy