Hub for Campy and Shimano!!!

almarzouqi1

Nov 9, 2011
Hi all this my first Thread, I need some help from you guys, I have Campagnolo Wheels (Bora Ultra 2 and Bullet, both with Campy Hub) using Campagnolo Groupset (Super Record) and I have second bike with Shimano Ultigra, I want to use the campy wheels with both bike... Is it possible ? Or any sulotion ? Thanks in advance

Depending on your Shimano drivetrain, "SI, se puede!"

BUT, there are (as you might expect) SOME limitations ...

As happens to be the case, 10-speed CAMPAGNOLO & 9-speed SHIMANO indexing are pretty close ...

So much so that (in part because Shimano ramping is superior) you can use 9-speed Shimano (or, SRAM) Cassettes with 10-speed Campagnolo shifters ...

Now, 10-speed Campagnolo ramping is NOT as good as the ramping on the Cogs of Shimano's Cassettes, so there may be some limitations when downshifting BUT (by my reckoning) the limitation can be overcome by using a Rapid Rise rear derailleur (yes, THAT means a Shimano MTB rear derailleur) if you find shifting when the drivetrain is under a load is dodgy.

With 9-speed shifters, you would adjust the Stops so that the HIGH Stop positions the chain correctly on the smallest cog, and adjust the indexing accordingly ... you probably don't have to do anything with the LOW stop because your derailleur will just stop on the second largest Cog unless you want to use the largest Cog on the particular Cassette in which case you would adjust the High-and-Low stops, accordingly.

Now, if you have 10-speed shifters, then I think, but am not certain, that if you connect the rear derailleur cable using the Shimano authorized ALTERNATE CABLE ANCHORING POSITION at 9 o'clock (aka "old Dura Ace") then that will make the indexing compatible with 9-speed Shimano Cassettes ... and, by inference, hopefully close-enough for a 10-speed CAMPAGNOLO Cassette. This is untested (by me) & should be considered to be hypothetical until someone proves-or-disproves the viability.

Now, the CAVEAT is that you will not be able to "hot swap" a pair of Shimano wheels with your Campagnolo wheels because the STOPS will not be correct ... and so, the indexing will necessarily be out-of-synch.

ANOTHER problem is that Campagnolo Cassettes cost MUCH MORE than Shimano Cassettes ... but, using the same wheelset for multiple framesets is generally less expensive than a duplicate set of wheels.

ANOTHER problem with Campagnolo wheels is the available range of Cassettes -- currently (AFAIK) a 29t is still the largest cog available for a Campagnolo Cassette (THAT isn't a problem for most riders ... BUT, it is a problem for wussier riders like myself who want a 32t or 34t bailout cog!).

BTW. 'I' have found that Shimano's 9-speed chain works satisfactorily with a 10-speed Campagnolo Cassette ... at least, for me ...

The 9-speed Shimano chain seems to be "okay" with a 10-speed Shimano Cassette, too, but a 10-speed Shimano front derailleur may not shift properly with the wider chain.

"I have Campagnolo Wheels (Bora Ultra 2 and Bullet, both with Campy Hub) using Campagnolo Groupset (Super Record)..."

You have great taste in bicycle components!

"and I have second bike with Shimano Ultigra, I want to use the campy wheels with both bike...

Is it possible ? Or any sulotion ?"

Yes.

Sell the Ultegra and replace it with Chorus. Or better yet, Super Record EPS!

@Alfeng thanks alot for the information... Alot of details .. Thanks again for ur time ... @CAMPYBOB very easy solution hahahaha. But I think I'm going to do that. One more thing ... I hear that there is free hub and it works with 80% of the wheels, with Free Hub can use Campy or Shimano cassette, SRAM using free hub with there wheels then no problem with Campy and shimano .... Thanks

Originally Posted by almarzouqi1 .

... I hear that there is free hub and it works with 80% of the wheels, with Free Hub can use Campy or Shimano cassette, SRAM using free hub with there wheels then no problem with Campy and shimano ....
Are you asking about relacing the two Campagnolo wheels with another hub?

If so, DT/Swiss hubs have interchangeable Campagnolo-compatible & Shimano-compatible Freehub bodies ...

FORMULA rear hubs are available with either Campagnolo-compatible or Shimano-compatible Freehub bodies, so their Freehub bodies are interchangeable ...

Campagnolo's Taiwanese made wheels are available with either Campagnolo-compatible or Shimano-compatible Freehubs, so if you can get one of the Freehubs for one of those wheelsets then you can swap it on an ad hoc basis ...

I do NOT remember who makes the following Freehub body, but it is intended to fit on a Campagnolo rear hub ...

200x200px-ZC-8f6b617d_Campagnolo_Shimano_HG_Freehub_JensonUSA_80_10h.jpeg

OR, if you are moderately handy, then you can retrofit many Shimano-compatible Freehub bodies onto a Campagnolo hub ...

• this is a moderately old (c1999) Campagnolo rear hub onto which I mated a Freehub from what I will refer to as a generic rear hub ...

• now, the main reason that Freehub fits on the particular rear hub is because the planetary teeth on the inside of the hub are worn sufficiently to allow the pawls to slide past ...

• so, if I wanted to use the Freehub with a new Camapgnolo hub body (I reckon that the planetary ring is smaller by ~1mm), then I would (simply) need to GRIND the pawls down by about 0.5mm ...

• because, as pictured, there are times when the pawls catch on ONE of the teeth when freewheeling ... and, I keep hoping it will just wear down one of these days because I'm too lazy to shave (i.e., grind) the pawls down by 0.1mm

FINALLY (?), EDCO patented a Freehub body whose splines could accommodate either Campagnolo OR Shimano Cassettes. I don't know if it was ever marketed.