hub gear bikes. wots aboot?



flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
0
0
after a shite week of grimey commuting im dreamin of a hubgear again
without all the maintenance (that apparently i should be doing...) and extra things to go wrong. Be happy to go back to SS/fixed when summer rolls around but i likes the idea of a 26" commuter with hub gear

anyone riding one? howabout a rohloff? (give me your address if so and I'll gladly 'look after it' for you :D)
 

till!

New Member
Nov 19, 2004
294
0
0
flyingdutch said:
anyone riding one? howabout a rohloff? (give me your address if so and I'll gladly 'look after it' for you :D)
I have a bit of fantasy bike build planned with a rohloff, and Im slowly collecting pieces towards that end. The planned build willbe a MTB though, not a commuter.

A us bikeshop has a reynolds 853 based frame with an eccentric bottom bracket and iso disc tabs which is a pretty neat way to mount a rohloff and take up the chain slack.

Considerably cheaper, you could look at the sram T3/S7 options.

till
 

suzyj

New Member
Mar 22, 2004
704
0
0
Da Dutchy wrote:

> anyone riding one? howabout a rohloff? (give me your address
> if so and I'll gladly 'look after it' for you :D)

I reckon the Rohloff is way OTT for a commuter (specially in Melbourne!). When I was in the sunny (not!) Netherlands last year, I rode a few Dutch roadsters, all of which had various models of Shimano Nexus hub gears. They were really quite cool.

I note from Sheldon's site
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/shimano-nexus.html that you can get Nexus hubs all the way up to eight speed, which would have to be gobs of gears for nearly anyone. As an added bonus, ya get an integrated roller brake, so no need to run a rear rim brake.

Suzy's mind turns to a nice commute specific bike - could use my Campy track cranks on it... Nexus eight speed hub on the back, Schmidt Nabendynamo on the front (or maybe a Nexus DH-3N70, which is almost as good and half the price), Campy dual pivot brake on the front (or maybe a disk, so it works well when it rains)...

Ya, 'twould be good stuff.

Nasty bugger. Now you've got me thinking. Perry'll hate ya!

Cheers,

Suzy
 

Marx SS

New Member
Jun 8, 2004
810
0
0
Brunswick St Cycles has a Rohloff equipped MTB for those who want to try before they blow a small mortage on those things.
I love the concept & think it's what everyone in the new age (a time where everyone is young, blond & beautiful & no one has to work or go to school) will be riding.

$1600Aus.
 
P

Peter McCallum

Guest
Marx SS <[email protected]> wrote:
> Brunswick St Cycles has a Rohloff equipped MTB for those who want to try
> before they -blow a small mortage - on those things.
> I love the concept & think it's what everyone in the new age (a time
> where everyone is young, blond & beautiful & no one has to work or go
> to school) will be riding.
>
> $1600Aus.


I took that one for a ride last time I was in Melbourne. It felt like
there was lots of friction in the hub, didn't like the feel at all. The
bloke in the shop said they take quite a few hundred km to "wear in". I
assume the "wearing in period" would match pretty closely to the
warranty period.

Peter
--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
 
J

Jack Russell

Guest
till! wrote:
> flyingdutch Wrote:
>
>>anyone riding one? howabout a rohloff? (give me your address if so and
>>I'll gladly 'look after it' for you :D)

>
> I have a bit of fantasy bike build planned with a rohloff, and Im
> slowly collecting pieces towards that end. The planned build willbe a
> MTB though, not a commuter.
>
> A us bikeshop has a reynolds 853 based frame with an eccentric bottom
> bracket and iso disc tabs which is a pretty neat way to mount a rohloff
> and take up the chain slack.
>
> Considerably cheaper, you could look at the sram T3/S7 options.
>
> till
>
>

Take a look at

http://sjscycles.com/thornbrochure.asp
I doubt you could put anything together this good for this price. I just
wish I had not boght one of their "conventional" bikes a year ago!
 
K

Kim Hawtin

Guest
flyingdutch wrote:
> after a shite week of grimey commuting im dreamin of a hubgear again
> without all the maintenance (that apparently i should be doing...) and
> extra things to go wrong. Be happy to go back to SS/fixed when summer
> rolls around but i likes the idea of a 26" commuter with hub gear
>
> anyone riding one? howabout a rohloff? (give me your address if so and
> I'll gladly 'look after it' for you :D)


hmmm ... some not so happy campers;

http://www.rohloffbikehubs.com/

"Important news:

After dedicating close to 2 years of our time and an investment in
excess of $50,000 to help establish Rohloff hubs as a great freeride
and DH hub, Rohloff has chosen to thank us for all our hard, unpaid
work by deliberately not paying their bills owing to us and committing
FRAUD against our company at Interbike 2004 and the months that
followed. More details to become public as the investigation and
evidence can be made public. We gave them many opportunities to right
their wrongs, including intervention with the Canadian Consulate in
Munich, but sadly, they have refused to rectify the situation.

We would like to caution Distributors and Consumers alike to use their
best judgement if they choose to deal with Rohloff AG in Germany or
Rohloff USA Inc. They have lied to us on numerous occasions and caused
us tremendous direct damages relating to at least 4 counts of fraud. We
caution you not to fall victim to their lies and empty promises too."

damn shame. 'cuase i've talked to a couple of folks that have had them,
all good, except for availability ... which worries me more.

greenspeed has some info on them however;
http://www.greenspeed.com.au/newsletter2.htm
check out the "GS options section"

cheers,

Kim
 
J

John Henderson

Guest
flyingdutch wrote:

> after a shite week of grimey commuting im dreamin of a hubgear
> again without all the maintenance (that apparently i should be
> doing...) and extra things to go wrong. Be happy to go back to
> SS/fixed when summer rolls around but i likes the idea of a
> 26" commuter with hub gear
>
> anyone riding one? howabout a rohloff? (give me your address
> if so and I'll gladly 'look after it' for you :D)


I bought a SRAM/Sachs Spectro S7 hub a couple of years ago, and
fitted it to my hybrid. I couldn't find one in Aus, so I
ordered mine (drum brake model) from
http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm

I've got 19,000 km up on it, and I love it - feels like it'll
keep going forever. So far, I've had to replace a couple of
rear sprockets and gear cables. I reckon there's less
frictional drag in one of these than there is from a pair of
gunked-up rear derailleur jockey wheels.

John
 
H

HUMBUG

Guest
On 04/07/05 at 11:42:49 flyingdutch somehow managed to type:

>
> after a shite week of grimey commuting im dreamin of a hubgear again
> without all the maintenance (that apparently i should be doing...) and
> extra things to go wrong. Be happy to go back to SS/fixed when summer
> rolls around but i likes the idea of a 26" commuter with hub gear
>
> anyone riding one? howabout a rohloff? (give me your address if so and
> I'll gladly 'look after it' for you :D)


Dunno about a Rohloff - I can only dream...siiiigh... My Moulton has a
Sturmey Archer S7 Sprinter. While it seems to be lasting OK it's a
temperamental ******* and if I was to need another geared hub that's
the sucker I'd be steering WELL clear of. I can't see it lasting as
long as the old SA 3 speed AW on the shopping bike - it's stamped 1951
and still works like a charm.

--
Humbug
 
N

Nick Payne

Guest
I commuted on a Rohloff-equipped tourer for several years. Maintenance was
certainly less than with a conventional derailleur setup. I'd still be
commuting on it, but I took the bike with me to Switzerland last year, and
at the end of the tour decided to leave it there in my brother's attic so I
would have a bike waiting for me on subsequent trips without having to
bother with the hassle of transporting a bike to and from airports and
planes.

It's a bit overkill for commuting (you don't need a gear range of 526% on
most commutes) but great for touring. With the 16" bottom gear I climbed a
couple of passes with stretches >20% in reasonable comfort.

I've noticed a couple of courier's bikes around the Sydney CBD that sport
Rohloff hubs. SJS Cycles in the UK sell several models of Rohloff-equipped
bikes that use a BB eccentric and Rohloff OEM dropouts to avoid having to
use a torque arm, and considering the price of the hub alone (in this
country just under $1600 for the basic non-disk-brake model) they're quite
reasonably priced.

Nick

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]
>
> after a shite week of grimey commuting im dreamin of a hubgear again
> without all the maintenance (that apparently i should be doing...) and
> extra things to go wrong. Be happy to go back to SS/fixed when summer
> rolls around but i likes the idea of a 26" commuter with hub gear
>
> anyone riding one? howabout a rohloff? (give me your address if so and
> I'll gladly 'look after it' for you :D)
>
>
> --
> flyingdutch
>
 
M

Marty

Guest
Nick Payne wrote:
> I commuted on a Rohloff-equipped tourer for several years. Maintenance was
> certainly less than with a conventional derailleur setup. I'd still be
> commuting on it, but I took the bike with me to Switzerland last year, and
> at the end of the tour decided to leave it there in my brother's attic so I
> would have a bike waiting for me on subsequent trips without having to
> bother with the hassle of transporting a bike to and from airports and
> planes.
>


Where in Switzerland?

Marty
 

PiledHigher

New Member
Jul 30, 2003
620
0
0
50
Whats going on, I thought the Dutch were mudders from way back.

Fixies are supposed to be the perfect no maintenance winter bike.

But if you insist on looking for a hub gear I can do you a deal on a three speed mixte framed, chain cased, mudguarded Raleigh from the 60's. Blue with white 'racing' stripes.

PiledHigher
 

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
0
0
PiledHigher said:
Whats going on, I thought the Dutch were mudders from way back.

Fixies are supposed to be the perfect no maintenance winter bike.

But if you insist on looking for a hub gear I can do you a deal on a three speed mixte framed, chain cased, mudguarded Raleigh from the 60's. Blue with white 'racing' stripes.

PiledHigher

my shoulder (nor my head) aint up to the fixie just yet. maybe later in the year...

photos?
 
R

Resound

Guest
"Jack Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> till! wrote:
>> flyingdutch Wrote:
>>>anyone riding one? howabout a rohloff? (give me your address if so and
>>>I'll gladly 'look after it' for you :D)

>>
>> I have a bit of fantasy bike build planned with a rohloff, and Im
>> slowly collecting pieces towards that end. The planned build willbe a
>> MTB though, not a commuter.
>>
>> A us bikeshop has a reynolds 853 based frame with an eccentric bottom
>> bracket and iso disc tabs which is a pretty neat way to mount a rohloff
>> and take up the chain slack.
>>
>> Considerably cheaper, you could look at the sram T3/S7 options.
>>
>> till
>>
>>

> Take a look at
>
> http://sjscycles.com/thornbrochure.asp
> I doubt you could put anything together this good for this price. I just
> wish I had not boght one of their "conventional" bikes a year ago!
>


I saw a Giant hybrid with a gear hub a few weeks ago. I've just had a look
on the Giant website and couldn't spot a model with a gear hub other than
their "Revive" model, which is definitely NOT what I saw. It does indicate
that Shimano do a geared hub though.
 

slaw

New Member
Dec 19, 2004
196
0
0
Resound said:
"Jack Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> till! wrote:
>> flyingdutch Wrote:
>>>anyone riding one? howabout a rohloff? (give me your address if so and
>>>I'll gladly 'look after it' for you :D)

>>
>> I have a bit of fantasy bike build planned with a rohloff, and Im
>> slowly collecting pieces towards that end. The planned build willbe a
>> MTB though, not a commuter.
>>
>> A us bikeshop has a reynolds 853 based frame with an eccentric bottom
>> bracket and iso disc tabs which is a pretty neat way to mount a rohloff
>> and take up the chain slack.
>>
>> Considerably cheaper, you could look at the sram T3/S7 options.
>>
>> till
>>
>>

> Take a look at
>
> http://sjscycles.com/thornbrochure.asp
> I doubt you could put anything together this good for this price. I just
> wish I had not boght one of their "conventional" bikes a year ago!
>


I saw a Giant hybrid with a gear hub a few weeks ago. I've just had a look
on the Giant website and couldn't spot a model with a gear hub other than
their "Revive" model, which is definitely NOT what I saw. It does indicate
that Shimano do a geared hub though.
I've heard elsewhere that Cannondale (Fifty-Fifty I think it's called)and Avanti have bikes using the Shimano Nexus 8 speed hubs. I believe that Brunswick St Cycles knows about, or has, them.

Not the range or strength of the Rohloff, but would be fine for commuting or general touring. Sheldon B's website has more info too.