hub gear (nexus 7 in particular) nuts on axle

Panda

Guest
i kept having problems with the chain on my bike with it being bounced off. I took a link out in
order to tension it, and moved the wheel further forward. however.....there is a "keyed" nut (ie it
has a knob that slots into the axle slots) that seems to perform the function of stopping the axle
spinning (there is a flat spot on the axle sides). is this its purpose. is it ok that instead of the
noble facing rearwards it nows faces forward.

many thanks

panda

--
change "net" to "uk"

"panda" <[email protected]> wrote:

> i kept having problems with the chain on my bike with it being bounced off. I took a link out in
> order to tension it, and moved the wheel further forward. however.....there is a "keyed" nut (ie
> it has a knob that slots into the axle slots) that seems to perform the function of stopping the
> axle spinning (there is a flat spot on the axle sides). is this its purpose. is it ok that instead
> of the noble facing rearwards it nows faces forward.

It's a washer, and it is very important that it hold the axle firmly against rotating in the
dropout. There should be two, one per side.

If your dropout is not so feeble as to bend open under the torque, then there is no particular
reason not to run the tabbed washers whichever way they fit best.

Chalo Colina