Hub purchase

> Man am I tired of spending money on bikes, and now I have to road ride because the mtn. bike is
> down and out.

That sounds soooo familiar :)

I just got over spending 3 weeks on the road while I was building up a new rig from used parts
scoured from the net. Now that I'm back off road again, I'm rapidly eating through my supply of
spare parts.

-Bruce

"David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jon Bond wrote:
> > "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >>_Run_ from American Classic! I had their rear hub. It started dumping grease on the disc rotor
> >>after a couple of months (talk about exciting -- I'd usually find this out when I found that my
> >>rear brake wasn't working on a steep grade at speed!). Destroyed the bearings in 4 months -- one
> >>actually disintegrated! Their tech support tried to duck it -- claimed that it couldn't happen.
> >>My LBS insisted that was not the case and convinced them to send a full set of new bearings (4),
> >>all with seals (my guess was that water was getting in as readily as grease was getting out).
> >>They sent 4 bearings, but only one had seals and they charged the shop for 2 of them! __NEVER
> >>AGAIN__!
> >>
> >>BTW, it was this hub that taught me the finer points of using mud to get a disc rotor back in
> >>service :). But, the pads would only survive 3 or 4 dumps before they just couldn't be revived
> >>and had to be replaced.
> >>
> >>David
> >

> > There were a bunch of problems like that - did you have the model with
the
> > greaseport?
> >
> > The new models are supposed to be a lot better. the WTB knockoff is supposed to be pretty damn
> > good, and WTB has excellent customer service
too.
> > (No personal experience, so I can't vouch for them)
> >
> > Jon Bond
> >

> If their support had owned up to it and stood behind their product, I'd agree. But they never made
> good on it -- and it was almost as expensive as the Chris King that replaced it! It's sitting with
> the rest of my junk parts. (And, yes it was the grease port model).
>
> David

Which is just another reason to get the WTB model instead. Hey, if it's the model without grease
ports, I'll buy that sucker off you (or you could probably sell it on ebay for more than I can
probably afford to pay you, which would be the smart way to go). If its the grease-guard model,
I'll pass ;)

Jon Bond

Jon Bond wrote:
> "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Jon Bond wrote:
>>
>>>"David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

> but

>>>There were a bunch of problems like that - did you have the model with
>
> the
>
>>>greaseport?
>>>
>>>The new models are supposed to be a lot better. the WTB knockoff is supposed to be pretty damn
>>>good, and WTB has excellent customer service
>
> too.
>
>>>(No personal experience, so I can't vouch for them)
>>>
>>>Jon Bond
>>>

>>If their support had owned up to it and stood behind their product, I'd agree. But they never made
>>good on it -- and it was almost as expensive as the Chris King that replaced it! It's sitting with
>>the rest of my junk parts. (And, yes it was the grease port model).
>>
>>David
>

> Which is just another reason to get the WTB model instead. Hey, if it's the model without grease
> ports, I'll buy that sucker off you (or you could probably sell it on ebay for more than I can
> probably afford to pay you, which would be the smart way to go). If its the grease-guard model,
> I'll pass ;)
>
> Jon Bond

Nope... grease port. I thought that was a GOOD thing at the time :).

David

"bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> On Thu, 29 May 2003 01:40:36 +0000, D T W .../\... wrote:
>

> > http://www.cambriabike.com/SALE/hubs/shimano_xt_freehub_body.htm
> >

> > --
> > DTW .../\.../\.../\...
> >

> Yeah, that's exactly what I need, but how do you get from there to the page with the price etc?
>
> -Bruce.

I couldn't find it either, but you could call, write, or any LBS could order one for you. btw That
steel ring at the bottom is for 8 speed. It comes off for 9 speed.

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

"David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jon Bond wrote:
> > "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > but

months
case

> > the

> > too.

> >>If their support had owned up to it and stood behind their product, I'd agree. But they never
> >>made good on it -- and it was almost as expensive as the Chris King that replaced it! It's
> >>sitting with the rest of my junk parts. (And, yes it was the grease port model).
> >>
> >>David
> >

> > Which is just another reason to get the WTB model instead. Hey, if it's
the
> > model without grease ports, I'll buy that sucker off you (or you could probably sell it on ebay
> > for more than I can probably afford to pay you, which would be the smart way to go). If its the
> > grease-guard model,
I'll
> > pass ;)
> >
> > Jon Bond
> >

> Nope... grease port. I thought that was a GOOD thing at the time :).
>
> David

Damn. And here I thought I might be able to score myself a cheap rear hub ;)

Jon Bond

"James Messick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Nope... grease port. I thought that was a GOOD thing at the time :).
>
> Sounds like it to me, too. What's wrong with it?

The problem was they didn't leave anywhere for the old grease to go. Eventually, the grease builds
up, and then literally just squirts out the hub. The seals weren't fantastic either, so you just
ended up with a lot of grease everywhere.

Jon Bond

Jon Bond wrote:
> "James Messick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>Nope... grease port. I thought that was a GOOD thing at the time :).
>>
>>Sounds like it to me, too. What's wrong with it?
>

> The problem was they didn't leave anywhere for the old grease to go. Eventually, the grease builds
> up, and then literally just squirts out the hub. The seals weren't fantastic either, so you just
> ended up with a lot of grease everywhere.
>
> Jon Bond

It's worse than that. All it takes is internal pressure change to make the grease come out
(temperature change) -- when I replaced the bearings, I made SURE that I didn't overgrease the hub
but it leaked anyway. That's what we were trying to fix by insisting that AC send us 4 new bearings
all with seals. I was going to clean all of the grease out of the hub and ignore the grease port
(possibly remove it) -- then just treat it like any other hub with sealed bearings...

David