Hub servicing

Yonni

May 1, 2010
I dug out an old wheelset yesterday to see what condition it was in. It felt rough when I span the axle so I decided to give it new bearings. I found the bearings to be pretty OK but the cones were pitted. Is this just wear or is it a symptom of over tightening?

Also, how often do you/should you check, clean and replace hub bearings?

Well actually it could be both! But if the hub has always spun freely then I would say wear. The hubs are not sealed so they require regular servicing, especially if you ride in dusty or wet/muddy areas. Just buy some new cones and bearings and fresh lower viscosity grease (that sticks well) and your up and away again. Good as gold /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Reactions: Yonni
I didn't know you could buy cones seperately - the only video I watched on Youtube about this said that if the cones were shot it's time to buy a new hub, which means building a wheel so new spokes too and why not a a newer rim while your at it. This is good news! Now I know I'll be servicing all my wheels at least once a year.

Thanks.

Hi Yonni, I haven't looked for cones for a long time, and this tends to be a throw away society nowadays, so I am now not sure. Ask/look around and let us know /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Thye're only old Sora ones. I was thinking of keeping them as a winter set. The rims are up to the wear lines as well so I'll probably ditch them and build something on Open Pros when I can afford to. We've got a great bike charity in Edinburgh that has free stands and a tools a few days a week so I'll nip along there for truing & dishing.

I would suspect that if the rims wear indicators are showing then the hubs are probably shot. The Open Pros your thinking about are very good and reliable rims...if built right. If those rims become a cost issue for you to build you go with a Sun ME14A (a box rim like the OP's) or a Sun Venus rim (modern Aero look rim), these are less expensive then OP's. Then build either rim with DT Competition double butted spokes with brass nips. Then to save cost even further go with the 105 hub, their actually very good reliable hub.

Reactions: Yonni
Thanks for the heads up on the rims. The first wheel I build will be for a fixed so I've got a Miche hub (at cost price thanks to a guy I know). I'll check out the Sun rims.

Are you sure you're not thinking of a headset there? My hubs have loose bearings not races. I would replace the bearings along with the cones if I was going to service them. It's only a bit more cash and I would think the cones would last longer with new bearings?

Ha! Nah, the hub "cups", then. The bearings run on the cones on one side and cups on the other. You can replace the balls and cones, but if the cups are rooted, then it might not make enough of a difference. To check the cups, you've gotta get ALL the grease and gunk off, then you might need bright light to see in there. A groove is ok, as long as it's smooth, but if they're "bumpy", they could be worn. Replacing the right side with cheap Shimano hubs is easy, because you just need a new hub body, but replacing the left cup is trickier, coz they're harder to find.

Originally Posted by 531Aussie .

Ha! Nah, the hub "cups", then. The bearings run on the cones on one side and cups on the other.

Ahh! Well, It's probably not worth the effort for these wheels then. I can get by on my other wheels for now until I can afford to build some bomb proof training wheels.