Hubbub, Campag Ergo with Shimano 9



M

MSeries

Guest
at http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

is says

"Campagnolo 10-speed Ergopower Shift/Brake levers (the right or rear
shifter MUST have the 10-speed "ratchet ring" – a 9-speed ring will not
work,) and a Campagnolo "triple" front derailleur are also necessary. "


is a Campg front mech also necessary ? Why ? I have been lead to believe
that Ergo front shifters are not indexed and therefore one should be
able to shift by exactly the amount required by the mech. and chainset.
 
P

Pete Biggs

Guest
MSeries wrote:
> at http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm
>
> is says
>
> "Campagnolo 10-speed Ergopower Shift/Brake levers (the right or rear
> shifter MUST have the 10-speed "ratchet ring" – a 9-speed ring will
> not work,) and a Campagnolo "triple" front derailleur are also
> necessary. "
>
>
> is a Campg front mech also necessary ?


No.

> Why ? I have been lead to
> believe that Ergo front shifters are not indexed and therefore one
> should be able to shift by exactly the amount required by the mech.
> and chainset.


Except for Xenon, Ergo front shifters pull/realease the cable in small
increments -- fine enough to make them work with all front mechs and
chainsets, and to allow trimming.

~PB
 
M

MSeries

Guest
Pete Biggs wrote:
> MSeries wrote:
>
>>at http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm
>>
>>is says
>>
>>"Campagnolo 10-speed Ergopower Shift/Brake levers (the right or rear
>>shifter MUST have the 10-speed "ratchet ring" – a 9-speed ring will
>>not work,) and a Campagnolo "triple" front derailleur are also
>>necessary. "
>>
>>
>>is a Campg front mech also necessary ?

>
>
> No.
>
>
>>Why ? I have been lead to
>>believe that Ergo front shifters are not indexed and therefore one
>>should be able to shift by exactly the amount required by the mech.
>>and chainset.

>
>
> Except for Xenon, Ergo front shifters pull/realease the cable in small
> increments -- fine enough to make them work with all front mechs and
> chainsets, and to allow trimming.
>
> ~PB
>
>


How does the front shifter work ? Front mechs have a spring to pull them
down to the smaller ring. I can imagine how the pull works, move the
lever by the correct amount, does one have to push the button by the
correct amount to allow the mechs spring to pull it across by the exact
amount only ? What is the throw of the button ?
 
S

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>,
MSeries ('[email protected]') wrote:

> at http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm
>
> is says
>
> "Campagnolo 10-speed Ergopower Shift/Brake levers (the right or rear
> shifter MUST have the 10-speed "ratchet ring" – a 9-speed ring will not
> work,) and a Campagnolo "triple" front derailleur are also necessary. "
>
> is a Campg front mech also necessary ? Why ? I have been lead to
> believe that Ergo front shifters are not indexed and therefore one
> should be able to shift by exactly the amount required by the mech. and
> chainset.


They are indexed; it's simply that instead of three index positions there
are ten, exactly the same as on the rear shifter. This means you have
about five index positions for the inner ring and about five for the
outer, and it does mean you can effectively trim the derailleur.

I presume the amount of cable pulled is the reason a Shimano front mech
won't work. I was going to ask why on earth you would want to use a
Shimano rear mech, but I see it's for a tandem and I suppose that makes
some sense.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
;; Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us
;; many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets.
;; Imagination without skill gives us modern art.
;; Tom Stoppard, Artist Descending A Staircase
 
S

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>,
MSeries ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Pete Biggs wrote:
>> Except for Xenon, Ergo front shifters pull/realease the cable in small
>> increments -- fine enough to make them work with all front mechs and
>> chainsets, and to allow trimming.

>
> How does the front shifter work ? Front mechs have a spring to pull
> them down to the smaller ring. I can imagine how the pull works, move
> the lever by the correct amount, does one have to push the button by
> the correct amount to allow the mechs spring to pull it across by the
> exact amount only ? What is the throw of the button ?


You can downshift all ten places at once with the button, but you'd need
a long thumb. One, two, three or even four places at once is easy, and
in practice you don't accidentally click it further than you mean to -
the clicks are quite positive.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

Morning had broken, and I found when I looked that we had run out
of copper roove nails.
 
P

Pete Biggs

Guest
Simon Brooke wrote:

> I presume the amount of cable pulled is the reason a Shimano front
> mech won't work.


Hubbub are wrong because a Shimano front mech will work. An old one I tried
didn't work as nicely as a Campag but it did work, and those that have tried
modern Shimanos say they work fine.

~PB
 
P

Pete Biggs

Guest
MSeries wrote:

[Campag Ergo Mirage to Record]

> How does the front shifter work ? Front mechs have a spring to pull
> them down to the smaller ring. I can imagine how the pull works, move
> the lever by the correct amount, does one have to push the button by
> the correct amount to allow the mechs spring to pull it across by the
> exact amount only ?


Yes but that's easy as it moves in ratcheted steps, only two or three clicks
are usually required (depending on components & setup & trim; sometimes four
clicks). So it's not super-fine but it's fine enough.

The finger lever behind brake lever shifts to larger chainrings, thumb
button to smaller. In recent models, the finger lever is actually assisted
by a spring in the Ergo but that's not important as the effect is only
slight. In the other direction, cable is pulled by the mech's spring as
normal, as you say.

> What is the throw of the button ?


I think mine have 9 or 10 clicks in total although not all are needed so
they are limited by the mech's stop screw. It's enough for any triple
chainset, as far as I know. They're all compatible with both triple and
double chainsets.

The button can be pressed down either by individual clicks repeatedly or
more than one click at once if you like. You feel these clicks through your
thumb or you get to know how much throw is required. Same sort of thing
with the finger lever.

I have to over-shift then adjust afterwards when shifting to the middle ring
on my bikes (with non standard rings)--that might seem **** but I've got
well used to it.

~PB