hubs - 105, Sora

Callistus Valer

Guest
Is the Sora hub just as reliable as the 105 hub? Is the difference weight, or is it quality?

Another question, what is the average lifespan for let's say a 105 hub?

jazzy-<< Is the Sora hub just as reliable as the 105 hub? Is the difference weight, or is
it quality?

Probably very similar with differences in finish and qr quality. Both will work well if grease added
when new and adjusted well, overhauled regularly.

I purchase as a wheel set (mavic cxp 23 with 105 hubs) the front hub as shot after about 2500 miles
9 mons). Is this typical? The wheels set was purchased by a reputable mail order firm. They are
going to replace the wheelset for the cost of shipping. Should I grease them when they are new or
does the hub manufaturer do this? I did have to tension the wheels however I think that is normal.
Also How often should these hubs be overahalled? (i was generally pleased with the wheels until the
hubs started to clank)

TOM D.... (hub destroyer)

> jazzy-<< Is the Sora hub just as reliable as the 105 hub? Is the
difference
> weight, or is it quality?
>
> Probably very similar with differences in finish and qr quality. Both will
work
> well if grease added when new and adjusted well, overhauled regularly.

I got a Fuji with the 8-spd 105 hubs. Rear is great. Front needs new cones every 1500-2000 miles or
so. I've been told this is quite atypical, that I probably have a slightly bent axle or something
like that.

Word here is, almost no hubs come adequately greased anymore.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Tom-<< I purchase as a wheel set (mavic cxp 23 with 105 hubs) the front hub as shot after about
> 2500 miles 9 mons). Is this typical? The wheels set was purchased by a reputable mail order firm.
>
> Doubt they added grease and adjusted the hubs when new, reputable or not. MO is about selling
> stuff, not really 'service' with regard to wrenching.
>
> << Should I grease them when they are new or does the hub manufaturer do this?
>
> The MO outfit should...

Why?

> ... but you should add grease and adjust well..The manufacturer sure doesn't(none of them)...
>
> << I did have to tension the wheels however I think that is normal.
>
> That is NOT normal, your comment about 'reputable' is waning..Well built wheels should come ready
> to ride w/o any need for retensioning or anything like that.
>
> Also they should not make a peep on the first ride. If they ping and pong, like most do from these
> 'reputable' places, that is an indication they were not built well...

Many of us who "MO" stuff don't want to pay for "service," that's why we choose that supply chain.
We want low prices, not service in the sense of greasing hubs and the like.