Hubs

Tripped

Feb 5, 2006
for about two weeks now, I've heard a ratteling sound in the wheel(front wheel), I took it to the bike shop and they couldn't figgure it out, untill i found out it was in the Hub. It turns out that it was a bearing loose, whilst having a look at the bearing, all the other bearings started to come out from their place
eek.gif
mad.gif
Any ideas on what I should do? take it back to the shop to make them put it back in? I'm finding it hard to make them stay in place, there's about 6 of them out.

Another qustion, i want to take the cogs off, to give them a good clean, I'm not too sure how to take them out so any heap with that would be awesome!

what type of hub is it? SOunds like a job for the bike shop if you're unsure what to so.

To get your cogs off -- assuming it's a cassette -- you need a chain whip, a lockring tool (matching your brand of cassette), and a spanner big enough to use the lockring tool. BUT!!!! This can also be stuffed up if you don't know what you're doing: it's possible to break the whip, bend some spokes, or round out the lockring....etc. If you don't think you'll be using these tools very much, it's probably best to clean it on the bike with some Chux, WD40 and some cotton buds, or something else you can poke in between the cogs.

Tripped said:
for about two weeks now, I've heard a ratteling sound in the wheel(front wheel), I took it to the bike shop and they couldn't figgure it out, untill i found out it was in the Hub. It turns out that it was a bearing loose, whilst having a look at the bearing, all the other bearings started to come out from their place
eek.gif
mad.gif
Any ideas on what I should do? take it back to the shop to make them put it back in? I'm finding it hard to make them stay in place, there's about 6 of them out.

Another qustion, i want to take the cogs off, to give them a good clean, I'm not too sure how to take them out so any heap with that would be awesome!
What kind of hub is it? It is difficult to understand how a bearing could come out of place unless the cone was very loose. How could the LBS miss that?

artemidorus said:
What kind of hub is it? It is difficult to understand how a bearing could come out of place unless the cone was very loose. How could the LBS miss that?
Sora.

Tripped said:
eek.gif
mad.gif

Check out the Park tool website for a how-to of putting things back together.
If the hub was so loose that you lost a bearing I'd be worried about going back to the LBS. The wheel must be pretty wobbly.

All you need to clean the cogs are some strips of old t-shirt to run between the cogs. Just use a degreaser of some kind to help shift the gunk.

Cheers

Geoff

geoffs said:
Check out the Park tool website for a how-to of putting things back together.
If the hub was so loose that you lost a bearing I'd be worried about going back to the LBS. The wheel must be pretty wobbly.

All you need to clean the cogs are some strips of old t-shirt to run between the cogs. Just use a degreaser of some kind to help shift the gunk.

Cheers

Geoff
Thanks for Clearing everything up!
wink.gif
smile.gif

Tripped said:
eek.gif
mad.gif

The sora front hub is not a sealed cartridge bearing unit. Instead it is a cone/cup-type hub that uses ball bearings. You can buy the appropriate size ball bearings from any LBS and service the hub yourself. You can hold the balls by applying automotive grease and putting them back one by one on the cup. The lock nut that holds the cone has probably come loose. Tighten the cone just enuf to ensure there is no lateral play on the wheel then tighten the the cone against the lock nut. You will need specialized hub tool/wrench for holding the cone while an ordinary adjustable wrench will do for tightening the lock nut.

Sooo....
I took the front wheel to the LBS, told them that there are loose bearings in the Hub, they concluded that I was mucking around with it and that i opened it. Telling me that it's Impossible, Will not happen in a million plus one years.

hey tripped, did you buy the hubs/wheels from that same bike shop? It seems that they are trying to deny all faults to avoid granting you any product warranties.

Anywho, with regards to the loose hubs, it does happen from time to time especially when you ride over rough terrains often.

But as a lot of people have suggested, labrynth seal bearings are easy to maintain. There's nothing wrong with the ball bearings popping out from the hub as the shimano hubs are constructed that way, ie. steel balls held in place by grease.

Buy yrself a cone wrench, dura-ace grease and ceramic bearings and reassamble the hubs yourself. Just make sure you pack the hubs with enough grease and make sure you ahve the correct number of bearings on each slot... 9 on one side if I'm not mistaken.

Personally, I like my hubs to be set a bit loose with a bit of wobble and replace the bearings after about 5000km (2-3 month??). But I'm doing this at my own risk as it's not recommended for safety reasons, plus it will prob void all warranties. :D

The good news it that this stuff is pretty straightforward. I got "Zinn and the Art Of Mountain Bike Maintenance:"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1884737994/002-4577636-0980047?v=glance&n=283155

It explained everything plenty well enough unless you have an unusual set of components that they don't discuss.

I had never done most of what was in there but I pretty much rebuilt my whole bike (mountain and road bikes) from that book without any issues. the tools cost less than paying the shop so it's a freebie if you have time and a little patience the first time. I'm sure there's a corresponding road bike book.

Tripped said:
YOU NEED TO FIND A DIFFERENT BIKE SHOP ... one where people are not clueless ... or, apparently, dismissive & discourteous.

And, as others have noted, you need to learn to do as much of the maintenance as you can.

BTW. There are generally nine (9) bearings on each side of MOST hubs (there were some rare exceptions) ... if you need to buy replacements, you can certainly find them at a DIFFERENT bike shop (call first) ... figure about 0.10AU, each [I paid $0.07US about a year ago for some "loose" hub bearings at my over-priced local bike shop] ... maybe, a little more ... but, not more than 0.15AU, each. The general recommendation is that you replace all 18 when replacing ANY as some of the old(er) ones may no longer be round.