Hudson Valley New York Ride

Gocycle

Guest
Members of our bicycle club are planning our annual summer bike trip. Can anyone give us information
for bike riding in the Hudson Valley New York area?

Thanks

Lou

There's lots of ideas at http://www.roberts-1.com/bikehudson and also links to lots of other
resources.

Some ideas:
- - most of the Hudson valley south of Albany is _hilly_. And most of the prettiest and funnest
riding is hilly. So my advice is not to try to move your base every day, because carrying heavy
loads is going to make you avoid the best parts. Instead I'd suggest one or two bases. And a motor
vehicle to take you to the best rides around the base -- especially if you've got some riders who
would prefer to avoid the hillier parts.

- - if you want days and days of exploring quiet rural roads with pretty farms, think Columbia
County (and northern Dutchess County). Making a base around West Taghkanic or Taghkanic State Park
could provide at least three days of great loops. Or Copake / Copake Falls as a base would also
put you near some nice riding in the southern Berkshires of MA and CT.

- - New York City is part of the Hudson valley. If you can handle the urban traffic, it can be very
interesting and spectacular to ride there. Maybe you can coordinate with their special BikeSummer
program this year. If you're transporting your bikes in a vehicle, consider parking it on the New
Jersey side of the George Washington Bridge and then riding into Manhattan. (It can be a
wonderful experience just to ride across the GWB and down Riverside Dr early on a weekend
morning). Like one group could ride from the GWB to Central Park, do a loop and come back. A more
ambitious group could circle the whole harbor. And possibly a group that wasn't ready to handle
urban traffic could walk their bikes from the Manhattan end of the GWB to an access point on the
West side Greenway.

Ken

>If you're transporting your bikes in a vehicle, consider parking it on the New Jersey side of the
>George Washington Bridge and then riding into Manhattan.

Lotsa luck trying to find parking on the Jersey side! They might want to consider parking at Liberty
State Park in Jersey City, riding over to the NY Waterways Colgate or Harborside docks, taking the
ferry to the financial district, and riding the Greenway uptown (although the headwind can be pretty
brutal!) I think the ferry is $4 pp each way, plus $1 each way for the bikes.

Diana B., LPN Diva Nurse

The JerZ Fox

Money doesn't buy happiness. Poverty doesn't buy anything.

[email protected] (Tom K.) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi Lou.
>
> Why not do the whole damn state??
>
> Check out www.fanyride.com.
>
> I've done it for the past two years. Great fun!!!
>
> Tom Krehbiel
>
> On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:38:09 GMT, "GoCycle" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Members of our bicycle club are planning our annual summer bike trip. Can anyone give us
> >information for bike riding in the Hudson Valley New York area?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Lou

Wish we had the time-Thanks everyone!