Huffy lakota: front wheel hits crank

jbeale

Aug 10, 2019
I saw a bike at a garage sale and got it without much examination, at what seemed like a good price. Now that I'm having a closer look, I'm not so sure. This is a 15-speed Huffy Lakota. Everything works mechanically, except that the wheel can only barely turn to either side before the pedal crank arm hits it, if the pedal on that side is forward. There is at least 1/4 inch of interference, maybe more. Both front and back tires say 53-559 (26x1.95) and the frame seems more or less matched to the tire size, but can this really be intended by design? Is this the stock bike, or did maybe someone change to a longer crank arm? I've looked up some photos online showing this model and I can't find any where the crank arm is anywhere close to touching the front wheel, as this one is.

Huffy_view2.jpg Huffy_view1.jpg

Ha, I just realized the problem. They put on the handlebars backwards so the front fork is bent towards the rear, instead of forward. D'oh!

Ha, I just realized the problem. They put on the handlebars backwards so the front fork is bent towards the rear, instead of forward. D'oh!
Perhaps the seller was a guy who assembles new bikes for Walmart. It does happen! :)