Huffy

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by John Doe, Apr 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Doe

John Doe Guest

K-mart have a sale on 26" Huffy "MTB - LOOKING"

$89.

They have a dual suspension there for $169. I reckon that for that price I would be scared of
    hitting a pothole.

Tags:

2. Rman

Rman Guest

"John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > K-mart have a sale on 26" Huffy "MTB - LOOKING"
    >
    > $89.
    >
    > They have a dual suspension there for $169. I reckon that for that price
    I
    > would be scared of hitting a pothole.
    >
    >

Makes you wonder in reality if this should be legal. Even that damn sticker worries me.

3. Chuan Chew

Chuan Chew Guest

In article <[email protected]>, "RMan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > K-mart have a sale on 26" Huffy "MTB - LOOKING"
    > >
    > > $89.
    > >
    > > They have a dual suspension there for $169. I reckon that for that price
    > I
    > > would be scared of hitting a pothole.
    > >
    >
    > Makes you wonder in reality if this should be legal. Even that damn sticker worries me.

Well, it should -- the sticker is what holds the bike together! ;-)

OK, that's enough Huffy jokes for now...

--Chuan

4. Mike

Mike Guest

John Doe wrote:
    >
    > $89.
    >
    > They have a dual suspension there for $169. I reckon that for that price I would be scared of
    > hitting a pothole.

The sad thing is that these bikes are good enough for most people. How far does the median bike ride
    before it ends up on the dump? Less in its entire life than one of us does on a weekend! Think about
    that before you dismiss the Huffy.

--
    make nospam into oz to reply.

5. Rman

Rman Guest

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > John Doe wrote:
    > > K-mart have a sale on 26" Huffy "MTB - LOOKING"
    > >
    > > $89.
    > >
    > > They have a dual suspension there for $169. I reckon that for that
    price I
    > > would be scared of hitting a pothole.
    >
    > The sad thing is that these bikes are good enough for most people. How far does the median bike
    > ride before it ends up on the dump? Less in its entire life than one of us does on a weekend!
    > Think about that before you dismiss the Huffy.
    >

I do not dismiss heavy low end bikes, I'd bet we all had one at some point. I dismiss Huffy. As a
    former KMart employee, you get the bike, turn the handlebars around, give the stem a half arse
    tighten, with you hand if you can't find the spanner, and put it out for sale.

Goodbye bike, here ya go little fella, take your poorly assembled bike and go belt down a hill. At
    least if you buy a low end bike from an LBS, you can always ask the guy to tighten it up before you
    give it to one of your children. Take it back a few weeks later for another quick tighten up. The
    man is going to stand behind the product he sold, no matter how little you paid for it. You will not
    get that from KMart.

6. Trevor S

Trevor S Guest

"John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

>
    > $89.

At that price you could replace it after each pothole.

I am sure I that amount of damage (cost wise) each ride on my MTB :(

Trevor S

7. John Doe

John Doe Guest

How far does the median bike ride before it ends up on the dump?

Not the dump maybe. You buy the bike. It gets ridden a couple of times (too much work) put in the
    garage for the next three years then sold at a garage sale for $5 covered in rust.

8. thats what happened to my old Orion girls MTB

except it was still in fairly good nic and was sold for about $80 through the trading post

"John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > : How far does the median bike ride before it ends up on the dump?
    >
    > Not the dump maybe. You buy the bike. It gets ridden a couple of times (too much work) put in the
    > garage for the next three years then sold at a garage sale for $5 covered in rust.

9. Chester1

Chester1 New Member

[I expect if someone buys a bike like that, they'd want to know a bit about bikes to keep it on the road..and that's not going to be the case.

10. roKeMS

roKeMS New Member

Regardless of bike maintenaince skills or not, the Huffy will not hold up to big hits. you may be the worlds best bike mech but at the end of the day - should all bike mechs know about public liability and aluminium welds??:confused: :eek: :D

11. Fahren

Fahren New Member

Why is everyone so huffy? ;)

I saw a pic of a Huffy in a pro-race, I'll pass on the details when I find it again. Maybe it wasn't bought at K-mart, but how many bike shops stay open til 10pm week nights?

12. Chester1

Chester1 New Member

[Fair enough the above. I suppose not too many Huffys would last long enough to make to a bike shop for a first service, either because they fall to pieces, or as someone mentioned, after a few rides and then get left to rust in the garage.

I work with a girl who was given one by her husband for Christmas last year. Didn't quite know what to say when she told me about it, and asked me what I thought! I think it is now in the "left to rust" category..probably for the best.

I expect most people have made the mistake of a supermarket bike..I did some years ago...I was lucky..got my money back after a bit or arguing, and before any serious injury. More to the point the bike I commute on is over 20 years old..still goes fine..only original part now is the frame and forks..but I bought from a bike shop!

On another note, how do you get that fancy coloured quote bit, as in the last post? Very nice..but I'm a bit computer illiterate.]

13. Fahren

Fahren New Member

>On another note, how do you get that fancy coloured quote bit, as in the last post? Very nice..but I'm a bit computer illiterate.] [/B][/QUOTE]

I wish I knew, it isn't a fancy colour on my screen. (If you are referring to my quote). If you want a quote just put one in when you 'edit user profile'.

14. Chester1

Chester1 New Member

Fahren,
    No not yours, the one above by roKeMs..what I wrote earlier is highlighted as a quote in a light blue colour in her post, at least on my screen..looks very exotic!
    As for a quote in my posts, I'll have to think of something clever..may take a little while..!
    Regards,

15. John Doe wrote:

>
    > $89.
    >
    > They have a dual suspension there for $169. I reckon that for that price I would be scared of
    > hitting a pothole.

A work collegue just bought a Huffy, don't know what model, I think he paid about $140. He's been
    mumbling about buying a bike for a while and I strongly reccommended against a Huffy/other similar
    supermarket type bike, obviously to no avail. The next day he took the front wheel back because the
    spokes were loose, today he took the rest of the bike back because the rear wheel had problems as
    well. I asked if he was going to get a refund and buy something of better quality and he said no,
    he'll keep the bike he's got. His logic is that he will only ride it 2 or 3 times a year so there's
    no point in spending any more money. I replied that he will only ride it 2 or 3 times because it
    will spend the rest of the time in the repair shop or at the tip.

16. roKeMS

roKeMS New Member

If huffy were any good then they'd have a DH/DS team doing the UCI rounds....

They ain't, they ain't

17. sutek

sutek New Member

Roke on!! Too true pally..
    People people people, we all have been bittenby the "you get what you paid for" "i told you so" blabble. This is NO different. There are many reasons for buying a Huffy and many good reasons NOT to if you're sane.
    The simple fact is that a lot of people buy one of these shiney little [email protected]*ards whilst looking for a new saucepan or gardnen chair. Impulse gets em every time. You and I as intelligent beings need not concern ourselves with the pligth of the modern cave-man shopper who is only concerned with counting change in his/her pocket on the way home. (probably going to help pay for the medical bills)
    A good bike shop that has spent the time getting the message out to the community will always prevail. My local store can offer you a Duallie for as little as $249aus - a damn site better investment. For the extra$ you get free servicing for 12months, correct fittment and the bloke selling it to you will practically tattoo your butt with the "Not intended for stunts etc" jargon. Plus, the bugger is serviced BEFORE it leaves the store in the first place. It is not going to save your ass if you plung 30ft gaps but it will get you around to work, down the cycle way andon BASIC trails with the Fam. SAFELY!! In the long run a far more logical (and affordable) investment.
    I'll Huff(y) and I'll puff and...Sorry...hahaha

18. roKeMS

roKeMS New Member

Wounds heal, chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever

Nise "Lance Murhoch / Simpsons" quote

Plus nise huffy stuff!
    haha

19. sutek

sutek New Member

Dude...check out "The replacements" with Keanu Reeves, that's where I got the quote from ;)

Hows the Park coming along...site looks good. We hope to get up there sooooon???
    Cheers man

20. roKeMS

roKeMS New Member

I thought you were a Sydneysider:)
    The park is kicking along nisely now - it's all NS getting built now.
    The site hasn't been updated for a while but will be soon.
    But if you go to this site:
    http://www.mtbdirtwarriors.com
    And go thru the trails section then thru mtbpark you'll see some pix from last week.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.