HUGE full suspension bike?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jon Bond, May 31, 2003.

  1. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    Had a guy come into the shop today looking to buy a huge full suspension mountain bike. Was looking
    at a Jekyll 1000... well, kinda. He was more looking down on it...

    see, the guy is 6'8", 38" inseam (pants, so figure standover is like 40"), 250 lbs. In other words,
    he needs a BIG bike. We told him he might have to go custom, but can anybody think of a good trail
    bike that is availible in massively big sizes?

    Jon Bond

    Tags:

  2. On Sat, 31 May 2003 22:07:24 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Had a guy come into the shop today looking to buy a huge full suspension mountain bike. Was looking
    >at a Jekyll 1000... well, kinda. He was more looking down on it...
    >
    >see, the guy is 6'8", 38" inseam (pants, so figure standover is like 40"), 250 lbs. In other words,
    >he needs a BIG bike. We told him he might have to go custom, but can anybody think of a good trail
    >bike that is availible in massively big sizes?
    >
    >Jon Bond

    We had a guy in Thursday night buying hsi GF a road bike. He was 6'10"! He told us he rides Seven,
    both on and off road. He mentioned his road Seven was a 71cm frame. <G> The owner of the shop I work
    at is 6'6", and the customer towered over him.

    I know Trek makes some of the hard tails up to about a 25" frame, but he sounds like he's going to
    need a custom built frame.

    FWIW, the customer's GF rides a 52cm road bike. I can't imagine how those mechanics work out. <G>

    Barry

  3. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <n/[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 31 May 2003 22:07:24 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Had a guy come into the shop today looking to buy a huge full suspension mountain bike. Was
    > >looking at a Jekyll 1000... well, kinda. He was more looking down on it...
    > >
    > >see, the guy is 6'8", 38" inseam (pants, so figure standover is like
    40"),
    > >250 lbs. In other words, he needs a BIG bike. We told him he might have
    > >go custom, but can anybody think of a good trail bike that is availible
    in
    > >massively big sizes?
    > >
    > >Jon Bond
    > >

    > We had a guy in Thursday night buying hsi GF a road bike. He was 6'10"! He told us he rides Seven,
    > both on and off road. He mentioned his road Seven was a 71cm frame. <G> The owner of the shop I
    > work at is 6'6", and the customer towered over him.
    >
    > I know Trek makes some of the hard tails up to about a 25" frame, but he sounds like he's going to
    > need a custom built frame.

    yeah, same for cannondale. Jumbo sizes on some of the hardtails, but not on the fullys.

    > FWIW, the customer's GF rides a 52cm road bike. I can't imagine how those mechanics work out. <G>

    his GF/wife had to be about 5'6" or so, if not less. Don't want to think about it ;) We had Ray
    Allen (UCONN basketball, now some NBA team - Sonics, maybe?) in the other day to buy his GF a bike.
    Don't remember the size, but I think it was fairly small.

    > Barry

    Jon Bond

  4. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Had a guy come into the shop today looking to buy a huge full suspension mountain bike. Was
    > looking at a Jekyll 1000... well, kinda. He was more looking down on it...
    >
    > see, the guy is 6'8", 38" inseam (pants, so figure standover is like 40"), 250 lbs. In other
    > words, he needs a BIG bike. We told him he might have
    > go custom, but can anybody think of a good trail bike that is availible in massively big sizes?
    >
    > Jon Bond

    The Sycip Brothers could probably cook him up a custom Double Dribble to fit.
    http://www.sycip.com/Pages/dubdrib_fs.html One trouble with riders in that height range face is
    getting the front end up high enough. Sycip and other custom frame makers can make the head tube
    tall enough but the steerer on most suspension forks is usually only 265-270mm long. So to go much
    beyond a 190mm headtube requires finding someone to make you a custom steerer.

    The Double Dribble uses a rear suspension supplied by Ventana. I looked into a custom El Saltamontes
    but Sherwood Gibson told me that they're limited to 7" in the headtubes on their custom frames. This
    is a bit too short for my tastes at 6' 5" so I suspect it might not be favorable for a dude who's
    three inches taller.

    Keith L.

    Just Say: "A perfect application for riser bars if I ever heard one."

  5. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Jon Bond wrote:
    > Had a guy come into the shop today looking to buy a huge full suspension mountain bike. Was
    > looking at a Jekyll 1000... well, kinda. He was more looking down on it...
    >
    > see, the guy is 6'8", 38" inseam (pants, so figure standover is like 40"), 250 lbs. In other
    > words, he needs a BIG bike. We told him he might have to go custom, but can anybody think of a
    > good trail bike that is availible in massively big sizes?

    I pointed a friend of mine at the Giant VT-2. He's pretty happy with it, and he's about 6'8". Of
    course, he got a large.

    JS

    --
    ========================= [email protected] ========================
    Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

  6. On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 15:14:13 GMT, Jan Sacharuk <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I pointed a friend of mine at the Giant VT-2. He's pretty happy with it, and he's about 6'8". Of
    >course, he got a large.
    >
    >JS

    I'm 6'1" and I ride a large (20.5) VT-1.

    Does your friend look like he's riding a BMX?

    Barry

  7. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Had a guy come into the shop today looking to buy a huge full suspension mountain bike. Was
    > looking at a Jekyll 1000... well, kinda. He was more looking down on it...
    >
    > see, the guy is 6'8", 38" inseam (pants, so figure standover is like 40"), 250 lbs. In other
    > words, he needs a BIG bike. We told him he might have to go custom, but can anybody think of a
    > good trail bike that is availible in massively big sizes?
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Custom: http://www.edgecycles.com

    JD

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Jon Bond <[email protected]> typed:
    > Had a guy come into the shop today looking to buy a huge full suspension mountain bike. Was
    > looking at a Jekyll 1000... well, kinda. He was more looking down on it...
    >
    > see, the guy is 6'8", 38" inseam (pants, so figure standover is like 40"), 250 lbs. In other
    > words, he needs a BIG bike. We told him he might have to go custom, but can anybody think of a
    > good trail bike that is availible in massively big sizes?

    Hey, go easy there little guy. He's not so huge. 2" taller, 1" bigger inseam and the same weight as
    me. I happily ride stock frames that fit. 22" Heckler and Cannondale 63cm road bike amongst others.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  9. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >Hey, go easy there little guy. He's not so huge. 2" taller, 1" bigger inseam and the same weight as
    >me. I happily ride stock frames that fit. 22" Heckler and Cannondale 63cm road bike amongst others.

    Do you need a setback post on the Heckler?
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  10. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > RE/
    > >Hey, go easy there little guy. He's not so huge. 2" taller, 1" bigger inseam and the same weight
    > >as me. I happily ride stock frames that fit. 22" Heckler and Cannondale 63cm road bike amongst
    > >others.
    >
    > Do you need a setback post on the Heckler?
    > PeteCresswell

    My question is: Where did you find a 22" Heckler? The Santa Cruz website only lists them up to
    an XL/20.5". If they had similar in size to the stock 22" and 23" frames I have, I'd be tempted
    to buy one.