HUGE full suspension bike?

Jon Bond

Guest
Had a guy come into the shop today looking to buy a huge full suspension mountain bike. Was looking
at a Jekyll 1000... well, kinda. He was more looking down on it...

see, the guy is 6'8", 38" inseam (pants, so figure standover is like 40"), 250 lbs. In other words,
he needs a BIG bike. We told him he might have to go custom, but can anybody think of a good trail
bike that is availible in massively big sizes?

Jon Bond

On Sat, 31 May 2003 22:07:24 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Had a guy come into the shop today looking to buy a huge full suspension mountain bike. Was looking
>at a Jekyll 1000... well, kinda. He was more looking down on it...
>
>see, the guy is 6'8", 38" inseam (pants, so figure standover is like 40"), 250 lbs. In other words,
>he needs a BIG bike. We told him he might have to go custom, but can anybody think of a good trail
>bike that is availible in massively big sizes?
>
>Jon Bond

We had a guy in Thursday night buying hsi GF a road bike. He was 6'10"! He told us he rides Seven,
both on and off road. He mentioned his road Seven was a 71cm frame. <G> The owner of the shop I work
at is 6'6", and the customer towered over him.

I know Trek makes some of the hard tails up to about a 25" frame, but he sounds like he's going to
need a custom built frame.

FWIW, the customer's GF rides a 52cm road bike. I can't imagine how those mechanics work out. <G>

Barry

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <n/a@> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 31 May 2003 22:07:24 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Had a guy come into the shop today looking to buy a huge full suspension mountain bike. Was
> >looking at a Jekyll 1000... well, kinda. He was more looking down on it...
> >
> >see, the guy is 6'8", 38" inseam (pants, so figure standover is like
40"),
> >250 lbs. In other words, he needs a BIG bike. We told him he might have
> >go custom, but can anybody think of a good trail bike that is availible
in
> >massively big sizes?
> >
> >Jon Bond
> >

> We had a guy in Thursday night buying hsi GF a road bike. He was 6'10"! He told us he rides Seven,
> both on and off road. He mentioned his road Seven was a 71cm frame. <G> The owner of the shop I
> work at is 6'6", and the customer towered over him.
>
> I know Trek makes some of the hard tails up to about a 25" frame, but he sounds like he's going to
> need a custom built frame.

yeah, same for cannondale. Jumbo sizes on some of the hardtails, but not on the fullys.

> FWIW, the customer's GF rides a 52cm road bike. I can't imagine how those mechanics work out. <G>

his GF/wife had to be about 5'6" or so, if not less. Don't want to think about it ;) We had Ray
Allen (UCONN basketball, now some NBA team - Sonics, maybe?) in the other day to buy his GF a bike.
Don't remember the size, but I think it was fairly small.

> Barry

Jon Bond

"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:wI9Ca.789513$OV.722207@rwcrnsc54...
> Had a guy come into the shop today looking to buy a huge full suspension mountain bike. Was
> looking at a Jekyll 1000... well, kinda. He was more looking down on it...
>
> see, the guy is 6'8", 38" inseam (pants, so figure standover is like 40"), 250 lbs. In other
> words, he needs a BIG bike. We told him he might have
> go custom, but can anybody think of a good trail bike that is availible in massively big sizes?
>
> Jon Bond

The Sycip Brothers could probably cook him up a custom Double Dribble to fit.
http://www.sycip.com/Pages/dubdrib_fs.html One trouble with riders in that height range face is
getting the front end up high enough. Sycip and other custom frame makers can make the head tube
tall enough but the steerer on most suspension forks is usually only 265-270mm long. So to go much
beyond a 190mm headtube requires finding someone to make you a custom steerer.

The Double Dribble uses a rear suspension supplied by Ventana. I looked into a custom El Saltamontes
but Sherwood Gibson told me that they're limited to 7" in the headtubes on their custom frames. This
is a bit too short for my tastes at 6' 5" so I suspect it might not be favorable for a dude who's
three inches taller.

Keith L.

Just Say: "A perfect application for riser bars if I ever heard one."

In article <wI9Ca.789513$OV.722207@rwcrnsc54>, Jon Bond wrote:
> Had a guy come into the shop today looking to buy a huge full suspension mountain bike. Was
> looking at a Jekyll 1000... well, kinda. He was more looking down on it...
>
> see, the guy is 6'8", 38" inseam (pants, so figure standover is like 40"), 250 lbs. In other
> words, he needs a BIG bike. We told him he might have to go custom, but can anybody think of a
> good trail bike that is availible in massively big sizes?

I pointed a friend of mine at the Giant VT-2. He's pretty happy with it, and he's about 6'8". Of
course, he got a large.

JS

--
========================= [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 15:14:13 GMT, Jan Sacharuk <[email protected]> wrote:

>I pointed a friend of mine at the Giant VT-2. He's pretty happy with it, and he's about 6'8". Of
>course, he got a large.
>
>JS

I'm 6'1" and I ride a large (20.5) VT-1.

Does your friend look like he's riding a BMX?

Barry

"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Had a guy come into the shop today looking to buy a huge full suspension mountain bike. Was
> looking at a Jekyll 1000... well, kinda. He was more looking down on it...
>
> see, the guy is 6'8", 38" inseam (pants, so figure standover is like 40"), 250 lbs. In other
> words, he needs a BIG bike. We told him he might have to go custom, but can anybody think of a
> good trail bike that is availible in massively big sizes?
>
> Jon Bond

Custom: http://www.edgecycles.com

JD

In news:wI9Ca.789513$OV.722207@rwcrnsc54, Jon Bond <[email protected]> typed:
> Had a guy come into the shop today looking to buy a huge full suspension mountain bike. Was
> looking at a Jekyll 1000... well, kinda. He was more looking down on it...
>
> see, the guy is 6'8", 38" inseam (pants, so figure standover is like 40"), 250 lbs. In other
> words, he needs a BIG bike. We told him he might have to go custom, but can anybody think of a
> good trail bike that is availible in massively big sizes?

Hey, go easy there little guy. He's not so huge. 2" taller, 1" bigger inseam and the same weight as
me. I happily ride stock frames that fit. 22" Heckler and Cannondale 63cm road bike amongst others.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

RE/
>Hey, go easy there little guy. He's not so huge. 2" taller, 1" bigger inseam and the same weight as
>me. I happily ride stock frames that fit. 22" Heckler and Cannondale 63cm road bike amongst others.

Do you need a setback post on the Heckler?
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> RE/
> >Hey, go easy there little guy. He's not so huge. 2" taller, 1" bigger inseam and the same weight
> >as me. I happily ride stock frames that fit. 22" Heckler and Cannondale 63cm road bike amongst
> >others.
>
> Do you need a setback post on the Heckler?
> PeteCresswell

My question is: Where did you find a 22" Heckler? The Santa Cruz website only lists them up to
an XL/20.5". If they had similar in size to the stock 22" and 23" frames I have, I'd be tempted
to buy one.