Hugi 240 or American Classic cassette hub for Campy-10: Which is better?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff S., Jun 14, 2003.

  1. Jeff S.

    Jeff S. Guest

    I'm going to have a set of wheels built later this year. I'm considering either the Hugi 240 or
    American Classic Ultra-Light in 32° for a Campy-10 rear wheel.

    Does anyone have any comments on one vs. the other? Immediate engagement and spoke tension (drive
    vs. non-drive side)?

    Thanks in advance for comments.

    Tags:

  2. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    "Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm going to have a set of wheels built later this year. I'm considering either the Hugi 240 or
    > American Classic Ultra-Light in 32° for a Campy-10 rear wheel.
    >
    > Does anyone have any comments on one vs. the other? Immediate engagement and spoke tension (drive
    > vs. non-drive side)?

    Nothing against Hugi or AC rear hubs, but IF you're going to use Campy 10, what wrong with using a
    Record 10 or even Chorus 10 rear hub? Both are cheaper, "as light" - WITHOUT SKEWERS, Record hub
    weighs 250g/Chorus weighs 260g; Hugi hub weighs 237g/AC hub weighs 236g, see Damon Rinard's chart
    here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/weights.htm#cassettehubs and both are proven to be durable
    and compatible with Campy 10 parts (doh!).

  3. Chas.

    Chas. Guest

    Jeff,

    Why not go w/ the real thing -- campy record hub.

    According to the manufacturers' web sites, the weights are:
    - hugi: 240gm (does not include skewer)
    - amclassic: 225gm (does not include skewer)
    - campy: 316gm (DOES include skewer)

    Put a skewer in the hugi or the amclassic, and your at or above campy's weight.

    I went through the decision process a few months ago, and am well pleased w/ my campy hub.

    REgards, Chas.

    "Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm going to have a set of wheels built later this year. I'm considering either the Hugi 240 or
    > American Classic Ultra-Light in 32° for a Campy-10 rear wheel.
    >
    > Does anyone have any comments on one vs. the other? Immediate engagement and spoke tension (drive
    > vs. non-drive side)?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for comments.

  4. jeff-<< I'm going to have a set of wheels built later this year. I'm considering either the Hugi 240
    or American Classic Ultra-Light in 32° for a Campy-10 rear wheel. >><BR><BR> << Does anyone have any
    comments on one vs. the other? Immediate engagement and spoke tension (drive vs. non-drive side)?
    >><BR><BR>

    Spoke tension doesn't have anything to do with the hub...but the rim..

    BUT why not a Record hubset, same weight, much easier to service and cheaper...

  5. Jeff S.

    Jeff S. Guest

    I appreciate your comments, BUT, the only reason I'm considering this modification is to improve the
    difference between the spoke tension drive side vs. non-drive side (reducing the dish). With a
    higher flange and shifted (towards centerline) left flange, these two hubs are an improvement over
    the Record.

    IF all other things were equal (bearing quality/seal quality/noise/serviceability), I would select
    the AC or Hugi. I appreciate virtually no difference in weight and the significant price difference.

    I have both Record and Chorus hubs already and am very happy with them (zero complaints), I'm merely
    trying to improve upon the dish/spoke tension disparity.

    Thanks again.

    > jeff-<< I'm going to have a set of wheels built later this year. I'm considering either the Hugi
    > 240 or American Classic Ultra-Light in 32° for a Campy-10 rear wheel. >><BR><BR> << Does anyone
    > have any comments on one vs. the other? Immediate
    engagement
    > and spoke tension (drive vs. non-drive side)? >><BR><BR>
    >

    > Spoke tension doesn't have anything to do with the hub...but the rim..
    >
    > BUT why not a Record hubset, same weight, much easier to service and
    cheaper...

  6. [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > jeff-writes-<< I have both Record and Chorus hubs already and am very happy with them (zero
    > complaints), I'm merely trying to improve upon the dish/spoke tension disparity. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > I think an offcenter drilled rear rim is a better idea.
    >
    > Peter Chisholm

    Get a 135mm rear hub and use a respaced Shimano cassette with a off center rim. The truly paranoid
    could use a 7 speed mtb hub with a 7 speed shimano cassette and a 8 speed cam in the Ergo lever. Or
    in the future use the new Shimano 10s cassette respaced to 9s Campy with the sure to show up Wheel
    Mfg spacer kit.

    Scott Goldsmith Groups are for product buyers not for riders, mix'em up.