Hugi 240 rear hubs: are the problems fixed

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff S., May 28, 2003.

  1. Jeff S.

    Jeff S. Guest

    Hello,

    I'm considering using Hugi 240 road hubs on a set of Campy 10v wheels, as opposed to a Record hub.
    In the past, the Hugi hub has had problems with the pawls/engagement and I was wondering if ALL the
    problems are fixed on the current hubs. Upon reading the reviews on roadbikereview and mtbr, the
    problems were prevalent in 2000 and 2001.

    Any other thoughts on a hub which would be a true upgrade over the Record AND is Campy
    cassette-compatible? American Classic or King? No thanks on adapters or modified cassettes.

    Thanks for reading.

    Tags:

  2. Jeff S. wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm considering using Hugi 240 road hubs on a set of Campy 10v wheels, as opposed to a Record hub.
    > In the past, the Hugi hub has had problems with the pawls/engagement and I was wondering if ALL
    > the problems are fixed on the current hubs. Upon reading the reviews on roadbikereview and mtbr,
    > the problems were prevalent in 2000 and 2001.
    >
    > Any other thoughts on a hub which would be a true upgrade over the Record AND is Campy
    > cassette-compatible? American Classic or King? No thanks on adapters or modified cassettes.

    What's wrong with using a Campy Record hub? It is fully Campagnolo compatible (obviously), is more
    likely to be upgradeable if Campy should redesign their hubs/cassettes (again), is easily serviced
    with standard hand tools, and has good parts availability should it happen to need to be repaired.
    Record hubs also cost only about half as much as the American Classic or Chris King hub.

    About the only thing you gain with boutique hubs over Campy hubs is a weight savings of a paltry 10
    or 15 grams. Exchanging reliability, serviceability and a doubling of cost for a 10 gram difference
    in weight is no upgrade.

    Mark McMaster [email protected]

  3. Our experience with Hugi has been fine but

    << Any other thoughts on a hub which would be a true upgrade over the Record

    Tough to beat Record in terms of weight, servicability, price, tho....

    >I'm considering using Hugi 240 road hubs on a set of Campy 10v wheels, as opposed to a Record hub.
    >In the past, the Hugi hub has had problems with the pawls/engagement and I was wondering if ALL the
    >problems are fixed on the current hubs. Upon reading the reviews on roadbikereview and mtbr, the
    >problems were prevalent in 2000 and 2001. Any other thoughts on a hub which would be a true upgrade
    >over the Record AND is Campy cassette-compatible? American Classic or King? No thanks on adapters
    >or modified cassettes.

    When you say upgrade, do you mean one that will perform better than the record hub or one that will
    lighten your wallet more than the record hub? It is really, really hard to get better performance
    than what you get from a top of the line campy or shimano hub. Other hubs you can buy are different,
    but not necessarily better. Some are even worse.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  5. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    Mark McMaster <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Jeff S. wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I'm considering using Hugi 240 road hubs on a set of Campy 10v wheels, as opposed to a Record
    > > hub. In the past, the Hugi hub has had problems with the pawls/engagement and I was wondering if
    > > ALL the problems are fixed on the current hubs. Upon reading the reviews on roadbikereview and
    > > mtbr, the problems were prevalent in 2000 and 2001.
    > >
    > > Any other thoughts on a hub which would be a true upgrade over the Record AND is Campy
    > > cassette-compatible? American Classic or King? No thanks on adapters or modified cassettes.
    >
    > What's wrong with using a Campy Record hub? It is fully Campagnolo compatible (obviously), is more
    > likely to be upgradeable if Campy should redesign their hubs/cassettes (again), is easily serviced
    > with standard hand tools, and has good parts availability should it happen to need to be repaired.
    > Record hubs also cost only about half as much as the American Classic or Chris King hub.
    >
    > About the only thing you gain with boutique hubs over Campy hubs is a weight savings of a paltry
    > 10 or 15 grams. Exchanging reliability, serviceability and a doubling of cost for a 10 gram
    > difference in weight is no upgrade.

    Agree, in fact, an 11g weight difference was verified by Damon Rinard, where he found the Hugi 240
    rear hub (WITHOUT SKEWERS) weighed 237g, the Campy Record rear hub (ALSO WITHOUT SKEWERS) weighed
    248g, see here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/weights.htm#cassettehubs

    I too see no reason to replace....

  6. Jeff S.

    Jeff S. Guest

    Thanks for all the suggestions and comments, I'm leaning towards the Record anyway, but just wanted
    to consider the better available options.

    BUT, back to the original question, has Hugi fixed the pawl/engagement problem?

    Thanks again.

  7. On Thu, 29 May 2003 21:57:20 -0400, "Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >BUT, back to the original question, has Hugi fixed the pawl/engagement problem?

    I have hugi 240 MTB hubs and the pawls/engagement work just fine. I do have to lubricate when they
    get noisy. I like 'em.

    charlie

    Member Help Community Leader