Hugi Vs Hope hubs

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Superslinky, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

    I'm thinking about having Jenson build me a set of wheels with either Hope or Hugi hubs. The Hopes
    are in stock, but the Hugis aren't. The price is more or less similar and they look like downright
    clones of each other. So, are the Hugis worth waiting for, or are the Hopes just as good or better?
    Any input appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. customer service at hope has generally been excellent for most people - so if you get a problem
    it'll take less time to sort

    also they're British - lets support the home crowd :)

    "SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm thinking about having Jenson build me a set of wheels with either Hope or Hugi hubs. The Hopes
    > are in stock, but the Hugis aren't. The price is more or less similar and they look like downright
    > clones of each other. So, are the Hugis worth waiting for, or are the Hopes just as good or
    > better? Any input appreciated.

  3. "Steven Templeton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > customer service at hope has generally been excellent for most people - so if you get a problem
    > it'll take less time to sort
    >
    > also they're British - lets support the home crowd :)

    Jenson is a US mail order company....

    > "SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm thinking about having Jenson build me a set of wheels with either Hope or Hugi hubs. The
    > > Hopes are in stock, but the Hugis aren't. The price is more or less similar and they look like
    > > downright clones of each other. So, are the Hugis worth waiting for, or are the Hopes just as
    > > good or better? Any input appreciated.

  4. Super Slinky

    Super Slinky Guest

    Steven Templeton said...

    > customer service at hope has generally been excellent for most people - so if you get a problem
    > it'll take less time to sort
    >
    > also they're British - lets support the home crowd :)

    Ah, but I'm not from Europe, so supporting the home crowd for me would be to buy the Hugis. Still, I
    have nothing against supporting the Brits. At least they're not the Borg, like Shimano.

    Hügis - aren't they swiss? Hint: <http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=hubs.bike>

    --
    /Jesper Replace invalid with dk if replying by mail!

  6. Super Slinky

    Super Slinky Guest

    Jesper Rasmussen said...

    > On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:52:00 GMT, Super Slinky wrote:
    > >
    > > Ah, but I'm not from Europe, so supporting the home crowd for me would be to buy the Hugis.
    > > Still, I have nothing against supporting the Brits. At least they're not the Borg, like Shimano.
    >
    > Hügis - aren't they swiss? Hint: <http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=hubs.bike>

    Could be. I know it is a Swiss company, but for some reason I thought they were American made. By a
    coincidence, I ended up owning a wheel set with the Hugi Onyx hubs I was considering by accident,
    albeit rebadged with the Bontrager name. They are part of the Bontrager Race Disc wheelset that
    came on a Titus Loco-Moto that I bought. They will go on eBay when I get a set of Hope + Mavic
    wheels built up.

  7. On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 05:02:07 GMT, Super Slinky wrote:

    > Could be. I know it is a Swiss company, but for some reason I thought they were American made. By
    > a coincidence, I ended up owning a wheel set with the Hugi Onyx hubs I was considering by
    > accident, albeit rebadged with the Bontrager name. They are part of the Bontrager Race Disc
    > wheelset that came on a Titus Loco-Moto that I bought. They will go on eBay when I get a set of
    > Hope + Mavic wheels built up.

    I had a pair of Onyx's with Mavic X517 for a month or so - never got to ride them off road (they got
    stolen) but it felt as a sweet combination - light, stiff and fast.

    I now have a pair of Hügi 240's with Mavic X517 - still a sweet and stiff ride - only problem being
    the freewheel - it's so f*cking noisy you won't believe it if you haven't heard it! My next rear hub
    won't be a Hügi 240!

    --
    /Jesper Repalce invalid with dk if replying by mail!

  8. Super Slinky

    Super Slinky Guest

    Jesper Rasmussen said...

    > I had a pair of Onyx's with Mavic X517 for a month or so - never got to ride them off road (they
    > got stolen) but it felt as a sweet combination - light, stiff and fast.
    >
    > I now have a pair of Hügi 240's with Mavic X517 - still a sweet and stiff ride - only problem
    > being the freewheel - it's so f*cking noisy you won't believe it if you haven't heard it! My next
    > rear hub won't be a Hügi 240!

    I was impressed with the hubs. You know quality when you see it and the performance is flawless.
    Unfortunately, the rims aren't worthy of the hubs and it would be more expensive to switch out rims
    than to just sell the set and have another set built.

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Jesper Rasmussen <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 05:02:07 GMT, Super Slinky wrote:
    > >
    > > Could be. I know it is a Swiss company, but for some reason I thought they were American made.
    > > By a coincidence, I ended up owning a wheel set with the Hugi Onyx hubs I was considering by
    > > accident, albeit rebadged with the Bontrager name. They are part of the Bontrager Race Disc
    > > wheelset that came on a Titus Loco-Moto that I bought. They will go on eBay when I get a set of
    > > Hope + Mavic wheels built up.
    >

    > I had a pair of Onyx's with Mavic X517 for a month or so - never got to ride them off road (they
    > got stolen) but it felt as a sweet combination - light, stiff and fast.
    >
    > I now have a pair of Hügi 240's with Mavic X517 - still a sweet and stiff ride - only problem
    > being the freewheel - it's so f*cking noisy you won't believe it if you haven't heard it! My next
    > rear hub won't be a Hügi 240!

    Yeah, it's a real shame to have a mechanism that actually works. Switch to shitmano, they are quiet
    (especially when they break).

    BTW, do a Google search in this NG on "Mavic 517" and "cracks".

    Also, you used the very overused colloquialism "sweet" more than once in a post, so you are hereby
    banned from posting here ever again.

    JD

  10. On 16 Jul 2003 10:52:59 -0700, JD wrote:

    > Yeah, it's a real shame to have a mechanism that actually works. Switch to shitmano, they are
    > quiet (especially when they break).

    Well Shimano and Hügi aren't the only ones making hubs. But agreed - the Hügis works really well and
    I might just stick to them - hopefully I never have to replace them ;o)

    > BTW, do a Google search in this NG on "Mavic 517" and "cracks".

    Still - it's a swee.. erh a nice rim!

    > Also, you used the very overused colloquialism "sweet" more than once in a post, so you are hereby
    > banned from posting here ever again.

    My fault - the second sweet should have been a stiff - sorry! Can I please post here again?
    Please? Hey! - I already did and no one could stop me - muhahHAHA.....I feel like, like taking
    over the WORLD!

    > JD

  11. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Jesper Rasmussen <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 16 Jul 2003 10:52:59 -0700, JD wrote:
    >
    > > Yeah, it's a real shame to have a mechanism that actually works. Switch to shitmano, they are
    > > quiet (especially when they break).
    >
    > Well Shimano and Hügi aren't the only ones making hubs. But agreed - the Hügis works really well
    > and I might just stick to them - hopefully I never have to replace them ;o)
    >
    > > BTW, do a Google search in this NG on "Mavic 517" and "cracks".
    >
    > Still - it's a swee.. erh a nice rim!

    Keep an eye on those eyelets for cracks, sweetness.

    > > Also, you used the very overused colloquialism "sweet" more than once in a post, so you are
    > > hereby banned from posting here ever again.
    >
    > My fault - the second sweet should have been a stiff - sorry! Can I please post here again?
    > Please? Hey! - I already did and no one could stop me - muhahHAHA.....I feel like, like taking
    > over the WORLD!

    And a small world it is.

    JD

  12. > > I had a pair of Onyx's with Mavic X517 for a month or so - never got to ride them off road (they
    > > got stolen) but it felt as a sweet combination - light, stiff and fast.
    > >
    > > I now have a pair of Hügi 240's with Mavic X517 - still a sweet and stiff ride - only problem
    > > being the freewheel - it's so f*cking noisy you won't believe it if you haven't heard it! My
    > > next rear hub won't be a Hügi 240!

    FYI the Hugi freehub requires no tools to disassemble and can be quieted with some thick grease on
    the pawls, which as I said, requires no tools to apply. And you can use thick grease ont hem, they
    arn't like Shimano where you have to use lightweight oil or risk them sticking.

    --
    _________________________

  13. On 17 Jul 2003 08:41:33 -0700, JD wrote:

    > Keep an eye on those eyelets for cracks, sweetness.

    Will do - thanks for the advice!

    -snip-

    >> Hey! - I already did and no one could stop me - muhahHAHA.....I feel like, like taking over
    >> the WORLD!
    >
    > And a small world it is.

    The last part of the sentence is a qoute from a VERY funny PC game called Day of the Tentacle by
    Lucasarts! Just wanted to see if anybody remembered it.

    --
    /Jesper Replace invalid with dk if replying by email!

    The death rate on Earth is: .... (computing) .... One per person.

  14. On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:52:13 -0300, Chris Phillipo wrote:

    > FYI the Hugi freehub requires no tools to disassemble and can be quieted with some thick grease on
    > the pawls, which as I said, requires no tools to apply. And you can use thick grease ont hem, they
    > arn't like Shimano where you have to use lightweight oil or risk them sticking.

    That would be worth a try!

    I have some Finish Line teflon fortified grease at hand - would this be thick enough?

    --

    /Jesper Replace invalid with dk if replying by email!

    I am easily satisfied with the best. -- Winston Churchill

  15. Slash

    Slash Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:13:51 +0200, Jesper Rasmussen <[email protected]> scribbled:

    >The last part of the sentence is a qoute from a VERY funny PC game called Day of the Tentacle by
    >Lucasarts! Just wanted to see if anybody remembered it.

    <green tentacle> "I don't think you should drink that.."

    <purple tentacle> "Nonsense... It makes me feel great - smarter, more agressive... I feel like I
    could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!"

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"

    - The Onion

  16. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:52:13 -0300, Chris Phillipo wrote:
    >
    > > FYI the Hugi freehub requires no tools to disassemble and can be quieted with some thick grease
    > > on the pawls, which as I said, requires no tools to apply. And you can use thick grease ont hem,
    > > they arn't like Shimano where you have to use lightweight oil or risk them sticking.
    >
    > That would be worth a try!
    >
    > I have some Finish Line teflon fortified grease at hand - would this be thick enough?

    If it's the white paste then yes but you can safely go with something like trailer wheel
    bearing grease.
    --