Human Powered Bus Fun!!

Cycle America/N

Guest
Check out this bike powered bus that Andrew Morton found on the web:

http://www.ds.arch.tue.nl/General/Staff/sverker/HPbus/HPbus.htm

Wow, what a fun way to speak to our fuel dependency.

If U want to know what the signs say, NBG volunteer, Marielle Stoelinga, from Holland, offers this
explanation:

It says: "9th lustrum of the WSV simon stevin"

* lustrum is a latin word (and also exists in English) for a 5 year period; thus, these guys are
celebrating the 45th anniversary of WSV.

* WSV stands for (I had to click on the link) werktuigkundige studie vereniging that is association
for students in mechanical engineering.

* Simon Stevin is a famous dutch mathematician and mechanical engineer who lived 1548 - 1620, see
http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Stevin.html

It is a cool picture! The university is actually in my home town!

cheers, Marielle

MARTIN KRIEG: "Awake Again" Author c/o BikeRoute.com 79 & 86 TransAms, nonprofit Nat. Bicycle
Greenway CEO

Ever wanted anything so bad U were willing to die for it? Really die? By moving thru clinical death
and reversing paralysis, *I saw God* when I answered that question.

Two improvements.

1) Seat should be recumbent position - a) you don;t need the upright handle pars b) rider can put
more energy into the legs.

2) To get rid of free-loaders -- meter you energy output at the pedal -- the more energy you expend
the less you pay for the ride. If you pedal more than your share, you get a free ride.

"Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:100420031532072046%[email protected]...
> Check out this bike powered bus that Andrew Morton found on the web:
>
> http://www.ds.arch.tue.nl/General/Staff/sverker/HPbus/HPbus.htm
>
> Wow, what a fun way to speak to our fuel dependency.
.

It's a good conversation piece, but way too heavy for good HP performance. Since the pedalers are
facing sideways, I speculate that the original drive shaft, rear transfer gears, differential and
axles from when it was motor-driven are still being used. With a weight of 5,500 lbs. and 32
pedalers plus 1 driver, that's about 167 lbs. per rider. My own HP Van design with a composite frame
and fully aerodynamic body with 8 cranking riders and 1 non-cranking driver, has a specified weight
of just 344 lbs. That's about 38 lbs. per rider. It would also use a much more efficient drive
system, with arm and leg levers for cranking and have the streamlined body to help reduce drag. I
designed and engineered this with the idea that a rowing crew could use it to travel to their
boathouse with the coxswain doing the steering. This is a 42-mile roundtrip for our local university
and farther for the high school crews. It would have a retro-braking generator to store energy in a
battery for the lights at night. This would give the crew a good workout on land as well as on the
water. If the weather and water conditions were too bad to go rowing, they could take a cruise
around town in this and stay in shape. This is one of several contraptions I've designed, but
haven't had time to build.

Steve McDonald

It could do with a front fairing.. "Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:100420031532072046%[email protected]...
> Check out this bike powered bus that Andrew Morton found on the web:
>
> http://www.ds.arch.tue.nl/General/Staff/sverker/HPbus/HPbus.htm
>
> Wow, what a fun way to speak to our fuel dependency.
>
> If U want to know what the signs say, NBG volunteer, Marielle Stoelinga, from Holland, offers this
> explanation:

> It says: "9th lustrum of the WSV simon stevin"
>
> * lustrum is a latin word (and also exists in English) for a 5 year period; thus, these guys are
> celebrating the 45th anniversary of WSV.
>
> * WSV stands for (I had to click on the link) werktuigkundige studie vereniging that is
> association for students in mechanical engineering.
>
> * Simon Stevin is a famous dutch mathematician and mechanical engineer who lived 1548 - 1620, see
> http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Stevin.html
>

> It is a cool picture! The university is actually in my home town!
>
> cheers, Marielle
>

> MARTIN KRIEG: "Awake Again" Author c/o BikeRoute.com 79 & 86 TransAms, nonprofit Nat. Bicycle
> Greenway CEO
>
> Ever wanted anything so bad U were willing to die for it? Really die? By moving thru clinical
> death and reversing paralysis, *I saw God* when I answered that question.

Thanks for teaching me a new word. So, I'm in my first lustrum of the new millenia. Somehow, that
sounds a bit descriptive of my condition when I'm on the bikepaths on sunny, Spring days.

Steve McDonald

Correction------I guess that was you who introduced us to "lustrum".

Steve McDonald

So a person who is age 52 would be in their 10th Lustrum Point 2 or in their 11th Lustrum? Might
come in handy to pick up chicks at the next MENSA meeting.
-------------------------------------
"Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> It could do with a front fairing.. "Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway" <[email protected]> wrote
> in message news:100420031532072046%[email protected]...
> > Check out this bike powered bus that Andrew Morton found on the web:
> >
> > http://www.ds.arch.tue.nl/General/Staff/sverker/HPbus/HPbus.htm
> >
> > Wow, what a fun way to speak to our fuel dependency.
> >
> > If U want to know what the signs say, NBG volunteer, Marielle Stoelinga, from Holland, offers
> > this explanation:

> > It says: "9th lustrum of the WSV simon stevin"
> >
> > * lustrum is a latin word (and also exists in English) for a 5 year period; thus, these guys are
> > celebrating the 45th anniversary of WSV.
> >
> > * WSV stands for (I had to click on the link) werktuigkundige studie vereniging that is
> > association for students in mechanical engineering.
> >
> > * Simon Stevin is a famous dutch mathematician and mechanical engineer who lived 1548 - 1620,
> > see http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Stevin.html
> >

> > It is a cool picture! The university is actually in my home town!
> >
> > cheers, Marielle

> > MARTIN KRIEG: "Awake Again" Author c/o BikeRoute.com 79 & 86 TransAms, nonprofit Nat. Bicycle
> > Greenway CEO
> >
> > Ever wanted anything so bad U were willing to die for it? Really die? By moving thru clinical
> > death and reversing paralysis, *I saw God* when I answered that question.

You're right, you're wrong. Wasn't me. "Steve McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Thanks for teaching me a new word. So, I'm in my first lustrum of the new millenia. Somehow,
> that sounds a bit descriptive of my condition when I'm on the bikepaths on sunny, Spring
> days.
>
> Steve McDonald

news:<[email protected]>...
> "Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
> news:100420031532072046%[email protected]...
> > Check out this bike powered bus that Andrew Morton found on the web:
>
> If you keep changing your e-mail I'll report you for spamming to your ISP.
>
> M.

The thread is about a human powered bus and has NOTHING to do with spamming in spite of your
observation that he's using a different email address. I hate to keep "butting heads" with you
Mikael but take my advise and just don't click on any topic with Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway
in the header if it annoys you so much.

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

"Edward Wong" skrev

> The thread is about a human powered bus and has NOTHING to do with spamming in spite of your
> observation that he's using a different email address. I hate to keep "butting heads" with you
> Mikael but take my advise and just don't click on any topic with Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle
> Greenway in the header if it annoys you so much.

Changing your e-mail address for each post you make is a typical spamtactic and incredibly rude at
that. If I wanted to read his junk I wouldn't have killfiled him. The fact that hes not
enthusiastically endorsing products in this message doesn't really change this for me.

So... If NBG keeps on changing e-mail address to circumvent killfiling his ISP will get a complaint
with the headers in question. This is the 4th time in 2 weeks AFAIK.

M.

news:<[email protected]>...
> "Edward Wong" skrev
>
> > The thread is about a human powered bus and has NOTHING to do with spamming in spite of your
> > observation that he's using a different email address. I hate to keep "butting heads" with you
> > Mikael but take my advise and just don't click on any topic with Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle
> > Greenway in the header if it annoys you so much.
>
> Changing your e-mail address for each post you make is a typical spamtactic and incredibly rude at
> that. If I wanted to read his junk I wouldn't have killfiled him. The fact that hes not
> enthusiastically endorsing products in this message doesn't really change this for me.
>
> So... If NBG keeps on changing e-mail address to circumvent killfiling his ISP will get a
> complaint with the headers in question. This is the 4th time in 2 weeks AFAIK.
>
> M.

Well Mikael if NBG posts nothing but "junk", and you've gone through great lengths to killfile him,
then I imagine that you've also killfiled at least half of a.r.b.r. where there is a LOT of JUNK!

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

> "Edward Wong" skrev
>
> > The thread is about a human powered bus and has NOTHING to do with spamming in spite of your
> > observation that he's using a different email address. I hate to keep "butting heads" with you
> > Mikael but take my advise and just don't click on any topic with Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle
> > Greenway in the header if it annoys you so much.
>
> Changing your e-mail address for each post you make is a typical spamtactic and incredibly rude at
> that. If I wanted to read his junk I wouldn't have killfiled him. The fact that hes not
> enthusiastically endorsing products in this message doesn't really change this for me.
>
> So... If NBG keeps on changing e-mail address to circumvent killfiling his ISP will get a
> complaint with the headers in question. This is the 4th time in 2 weeks AFAIK.
>
> M.

Ed's got a good point Makael. Perhaps you should try harder to keep your cursor off the letters
"NBG" rather than reporting him to the authorities.

skip

"skip" skrev

> Ed's got a good point Makael. Perhaps you should try harder to keep your cursor off the letters
> "NBG" rather than reporting him to the authorities.

Why? Spammers are the scum of the Internet and NBG's recent behaviour suggests he is one.

(Maybe you should learn to type my name properly)

Mikael

Regarding your suggestion that Cycle America/NBG is among the "scum of the Internet". Are we over
dramatizing again Mikael?

skip

P.S. Sorry about misspelling your name. BTW how would your last name be pronounced phonetically?