human powered nuns?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by andy gee, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. andy gee

    andy gee Guest

    Today's New York Times had a front page "spring is here" photo of two nuns
    (in full habit) roller skating down the Hudson River Greenway. No story,
    just the picture.

    I've seen nuns of this order (grey and white long habits) frequently
    between 57th & 7th and the Hudson River, on bikes or skates, mostly bikes.
    I always thought it was odd; most nuns don't wear the full get-up anymore
    unless they're cloistered, in which case they're not outside. I'm guessing
    they go to local places and do some ministry and go back, and HPV is the
    most economical solution. Also, traveling in their class-A's might be a
    statement about their order's position on that "what would Jesus drive"
    question from a few years ago.

    Anyone know anything about the rolling nuns?

    --ag

    Tags:

  2. No, I don't. Nuns used to roll me when I was in Elementary School. In
    addition, they would go by and clip my ears with their fingers - OUCH!
    You know - the same way you'd flick a dead fly off a countertop. To
    this day, I didn't think that was very Christianlike. Never mind that
    I was cutting farts, and making fun of the girls.

    None of these nuns (None nuns?) ever rode a bicycle that I can
    remember. The cyclist nuns that you saw are probably really cool, and
    wouldn't clip any kid's ear.
    Jim Gagnepain
    http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

    >Anyone know anything about the rolling nuns?

  3. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:02:34 -0600, andy gee <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Today's New York Times had a front page "spring is here" photo of two nuns
    >(in full habit) roller skating down the Hudson River Greenway. No story,
    >just the picture.
    >
    >I've seen nuns of this order (grey and white long habits) frequently
    >between 57th & 7th and the Hudson River, on bikes or skates, mostly bikes.
    >I always thought it was odd; most nuns don't wear the full get-up anymore
    >unless they're cloistered, in which case they're not outside. I'm guessing
    >they go to local places and do some ministry and go back, and HPV is the
    >most economical solution. Also, traveling in their class-A's might be a
    >statement about their order's position on that "what would Jesus drive"
    >question from a few years ago.
    >
    >Anyone know anything about the rolling nuns?

    So the young nun says to the old nun, "thanks for showing me this shortcut, I've
    never come this way before."

    "It's the cobblestones, my dear."

    Ron

  4. Max Penn

    Max Penn Guest

    It's OK to ask. If you do, let us know. Don't worry about getting clipped
    on the ear like oilfreeandhappy. He had it coming to him for the farts and
    wisecracks.

    Max

    "andy gee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Today's New York Times had a front page "spring is here" photo of two nuns
    > (in full habit) roller skating down the Hudson River Greenway. No story,
    > just the picture.
    >
    > I've seen nuns of this order (grey and white long habits) frequently
    > between 57th & 7th and the Hudson River, on bikes or skates, mostly bikes.
    > I always thought it was odd; most nuns don't wear the full get-up anymore
    > unless they're cloistered, in which case they're not outside. I'm

    guessing
    > they go to local places and do some ministry and go back, and HPV is the
    > most economical solution. Also, traveling in their class-A's might be a
    > statement about their order's position on that "what would Jesus drive"
    > question from a few years ago.
    >
    > Anyone know anything about the rolling nuns?
    >
    > --ag

  5. Father Jack

    Father Jack Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, andy
    gee ([email protected]) wrote:
    > Today's New York Times had a front page "spring is here" photo of two nuns
    > (in full habit) roller skating down the Hudson River Greenway. No story,
    > just the picture.
    >
    > I've seen nuns of this order (grey and white long habits) frequently
    > between 57th & 7th and the Hudson River, on bikes or skates, mostly bikes.
    > I always thought it was odd; most nuns don't wear the full get-up anymore
    > unless they're cloistered, in which case they're not outside. I'm guessing
    > they go to local places and do some ministry and go back, and HPV is the
    > most economical solution. Also, traveling in their class-A's might be a
    > statement about their order's position on that "what would Jesus drive"
    > question from a few years ago.
    >
    > Anyone know anything about the rolling nuns?
    >
    > --ag

    NUNS! NUNS! REVERSE! REVERSE!

  6. andy gee

    andy gee Guest

    RonSonic <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "It's the cobblestones, my dear."

    That was hysterical; I needed a good laugh today. This greenway is
    actually trimmed with faux cobbles and many of the aproach streets have the
    real meat-cart, printer-hauling, etc original cobbles. Much to the
    surprise of novices exiting the greenway in a hurry.

    --ag

  7. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:07:29 -0600, andy gee <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >RonSonic <[email protected]> wrote in
    >news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> "It's the cobblestones, my dear."

    >That was hysterical; I needed a good laugh today. This greenway is
    >actually trimmed with faux cobbles and many of the aproach streets have the
    >real meat-cart, printer-hauling, etc original cobbles. Much to the
    >surprise of novices exiting the greenway in a hurry.

    Um huhhhh.

    Ron

  8. In article <[email protected]>, RonSonic
    ([email protected]) wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:02:34 -0600, andy gee <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Today's New York Times had a front page "spring is here" photo of two nuns
    > >(in full habit) roller skating down the Hudson River Greenway. No story,
    > >just the picture.
    > >
    > >I've seen nuns of this order (grey and white long habits) frequently
    > >between 57th & 7th and the Hudson River, on bikes or skates, mostly bikes.
    > >I always thought it was odd; most nuns don't wear the full get-up anymore
    > >unless they're cloistered, in which case they're not outside. I'm guessing
    > >they go to local places and do some ministry and go back, and HPV is the
    > >most economical solution. Also, traveling in their class-A's might be a
    > >statement about their order's position on that "what would Jesus drive"
    > >question from a few years ago.
    > >
    > >Anyone know anything about the rolling nuns?

    > So the young nun says to the old nun, "thanks for showing me this shortcut, I've
    > never come this way before."
    >
    > "It's the cobblestones, my dear."

    There was a young nun from Hoboken
    Who claimed that ("Enough!" - Ed)

    It would appear apparent, to me at least, that dinosaurs were largely
    burrowing creatures.

  9. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    andy gee <[email protected]> writes:

    > Anyone know anything about the rolling nuns?

    Holy Rollers.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --