"Humans 'very likely' making earth warmer" is wrong

The Real Bev <[email protected]> writes:

> My grandkids live in an affluent (not rich, but containing mostly
> those monster tract homes that are going for $3/4 million now)
> district. They have "lockdown" drills. That's what's supposed to
> happen when a weapon or other threat is discovered. The kids drop
> flat on the floor and the staff turns out the lights. I need to find
> out more...

What you'll probably find is that it is yet another case of "scare the
kids to cover our asses." After the Columbine thing (also in an
affluent community), they are all scared that if they don't take every
precaution they can imagine, they might be sued for negligence.

If a meteor ever hits a school, you can bet that there'll be meteor
drills too.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB

On Feb 9, 3:22 pm, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

> At least I drive a small car and have no use for an SUV. There are a lot
> of 4 wheel drive cars that never even get near an off road experience.
> Bill Baka

Oh, everything is FAKE about them: their religiosity, their SUVs that
never see dirt, and their devotion to democracy.

The only thing real is that they LOVE WAR, and POLLUTE LIKE THERE'S NO
TOMORROW.

Oh, and they love Freedom Fries.

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 06:13:53 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Plus, I managed to break an ankle in 1997 while at a big getaway
>> with about 50 people (I landed very awkwardly from my mountain
>> bike). Only one person out of those 50 could drive my car home.
>> My next car was automatic.

>Its silly buying a car on the basis of such a rare event.

Yes, true, but the example holds anyway. I've been known to lend my
car to family and friends. I really can't do that with a manual. On
the other hand, if we did outlaw automatics (and what true
conservative would allow such a governmental intrusion on the free
market), everyone would be able to drive it.

When I was a kid I worked as a delivery boy for a drug store (talk
about kids in a candy shop) and drove an old VB bug. You needed the
clutch to get into first, but from there on it was optional.

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 11:55:47 -0800, The Real Bev
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Bill Baka wrote:

>My grandkids live in an affluent (not rich, but containing mostly those
>monster tract homes that are going for $3/4 million now) district. They
>have "lockdown" drills. That's what's supposed to happen when a weapon
>or other threat is discovered. The kids drop flat on the floor and the
>staff turns out the lights. I need to find out more...

Unfortunately that would appear to be a smart thing to plan for
considering the number of actual incidents. Back when we were kids we
had those idiot abomb drills. Climb under the desk and put your head
between your legs. And, as the precocious kids added, kiss your ass
goodbye.

On Feb 6, 8:00 pm, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> As far as available land, what kind of
> >> crop can you plant in the Himalayas? All that land going to waste.

> > You didn't answer my question. You predicted that 99.9% of the
> > world's food-producing capability was going to go away. I'm still
> > curious what your thought process was on that one. And I've been in
> > the Himalayas - they grow plenty (including poppies and pot).

> That wasn't a question that really deserved an answer. It should be
> obvious that more people will build more buildings and thus there will
> be less land available. The oceans are getting over fished so that
> resource will soon run out. Do you expect we will farm the moon or
> something?

I think they expect God to come from the skies with a cornucopia of
fruits and vegetables. Well, of course, he will come in an SUV (Hummer
most likely) killing pagans since there's no fruits and vegetables for
all. Cyclists though got no place in Heaven 'cause they voted for
Gore, who endorsed homosexuals, etc, etc.

On Feb 7, 1:29 am, Anthony Matonak
<[email protected]> wrote:
> donquijote1954 wrote:
>
> ...> I think having them ride a bike, the vehicle Jesus would have ridden,

> By all reports, Jesus walked, went boating and (on special occasions)
> sat on a young ass. :)

Not only sat on it, but also spank it, or whip it, if you prefer.

But he would have ridden a bicycle whenever the donkey got tired --or
if there had been actual bike lanes. But, as you probably know, the
Romans didn't have a bicycle budget.

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 06:04:06 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Now that north american society has little use for the totally unskilled
>who dont want to work,

How many can there be, with a 4.5 percent
unemployment rate, and 3.0 percent means everybody
holds a job for 3 years and takes 4 or 5 weeks to
find another job.

Joe Fischer

<[email protected]> wrote:

>My grandkids live in an affluent (not rich, but containing mostly those
>monster tract homes that are going for $3/4 million now) district.

Know any more jokes, the average home in the
US is worth about $60,000, so maybe $750,000 homes
should be called rich.

Joe Fischer

The Real Bev <[email protected]> wrote
> Bill Baka wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote

>>> That will happen with any welfare system with some of them.

>>> No you dont.

>>> No they arent.

> They've been complaining about crowded schools since I was a child.

They have indeed.

> We managed to learn to read even in what I discovered later was a lower-middle-class school with
> 35 students in each class.

Yep, and plenty of the catholic systemic schools managed
to do that with even higher numbers per class too.

> Between then and now, something has gone wrong with either teaching or teachers

Nope, the real problem is the parents.

You still see the kids of asian immigrants learning to read fine today.

Essentially because their parents make sure they do.

And it aint just reading either, its their school results in general too.

> and it has nothing to do with the number of kids/class.

Indeed.

There can be a problem with a class full of the absolute dregs
of society who have no interest in learning anything and who are
only interested in stopping anyone else from learning anything tho.

>>> Wrong again.

>> You must not live anywhere near California.
>> My grandkids have to attend schools that are not only substandard but where guns have been found
>> on students.

> My grandkids live in an affluent (not rich, but containing mostly
> those monster tract homes that are going for $3/4 million now)
> district. They have "lockdown" drills. That's what's supposed to
> happen when a weapon or other threat is discovered. The kids drop
> flat on the floor and the staff turns out the lights. I need to find out more...

Joe Fischer <[email protected]> wrote
> Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote

>> schools...........
>> I would say that is a problem with the county officials either completely
>> blowing it, or getting their pockets lines to ignore the obvious. Bill Baka

> Probably not, where there is an influx of residents,
> all public services are short of money.

Specially with the terminally stupid US system where schools funding
is local. That inevitably means that the areas with the most need due
to lots of the dregs of society also have the lowest tax revenue too.

In virtually all other modern first world countrys,
the funding for schools is state or country based.

And the results the catholic systemic schools get
shows that it aint really about money anyway.

> And in some towns, like mine, the school may close
> because there are not enough students to make the
> payroll, for 150 grade school students, laws require a
> school superintendent with an advances degree, a principle,
> and accredited teachers to qualify for federal funds.

> With high fuel costs, look for more people moving south,
> or closer to work and schools and shopping centers, or
> if oil stays above $60 a collapse of the world economy.

That last aint gunna happen.

> Garages and large commercial buildings where there is not a
> lot of business are not heated with modern heaters any more.

> Sitting in an upholstered chair with a propane radiant heater to warm
> the front feels pretty good when it is 20 or 30 degrees below normal.

> Just some normal weather would be nice.

You should pipe in the hot air from usenet.

On Feb 7, 2:26 pm, "no spam" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > You said best. There's one hope though: THE REVOLUTION (coming
> > soon)...

> > WORLD REVOLUTION
> > "The World Revolution is an idea for a new, global activist social
> > movement for progressive social change. It aims to resolve in a

> <stuff cut>
>
> If it does come you will find out what every other 'winner' of a 'peoples
> revolution' has found. Power flows from the barrel of a gun and those with
> the power (i.e. guns) will suddenly not be so friendly. I don't think most
> of the supporters Castro thought he was going to take away all the guns they
> used to win their freedom and use them to keep himself in power.

True. That's why the next revolution must do without the Castros and
Chavezes (the caudillos), and, of course, must do away with the guns,
just use a banana. Like in Banana Revolution... http://webspawner.com/
users/bananarevolution

This is a thought from it...

"We don't need lions or violent monkeys that become lions"

Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote
> Rod Speed <[email protected]> wrote
>> dgk <[email protected]> wrote

> I managed to break an ankle in 1997 while at a big getaway
> with about 50 people (I landed very awkwardly from my mountain
> bike). Only one person out of those 50 could drive my car home.

> My next car was automatic.

>> Its silly buying a car on the basis of such a rare event.

> Perhaps,

No perhaps about it.

> but bad knees aren't rare.

Yes, buying an automatic because your knee isnt up to it makes a lot of sense.

Nothing like his original tho.

> Working a clutch is a problem for many people,
> even those that know how to use a stick.

Bugger all actually.

> FWIW, some people said the same thing when they started to use
> synchros. (And crash boxes can be done with a bad left knee.)

> Today it takes a really good driver to outperform a good four or five
> speed, and anyone sipping coffee between shifts isn't that person.
> It takes a pretty good driver when you have paddle shifters.

Irrelevant to what was being discussed.

"dgk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 11:55:47 -0800, The Real Bev
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Bill Baka wrote:

>>My grandkids live in an affluent (not rich, but containing mostly those
>>monster tract homes that are going for $3/4 million now) district. They
>>have "lockdown" drills. That's what's supposed to happen when a weapon
>>or other threat is discovered. The kids drop flat on the floor and the
>>staff turns out the lights. I need to find out more...

> Unfortunately that would appear to be a smart thing to plan for
> considering the number of actual incidents. Back when we were kids we
> had those idiot abomb drills. Climb under the desk and put your head
> between your legs. And, as the precocious kids added, kiss your ass
> goodbye.

Do you not think that making weapons far harder to get hold of might help a
bit ?

dgk <[email protected]> wrote
> Rod Speed <[email protected]> wrote

>>> I managed to break an ankle in 1997 while at a big getaway
>>> with about 50 people (I landed very awkwardly from my
>>> mountain bike). Only one person out of those 50 could
>>> drive my car home. My next car was automatic.

>> Its silly buying a car on the basis of such a rare event.

> Yes, true, but the example holds anyway.

Like hell it does.

> I've been known to lend my car to family and friends.
> I really can't do that with a manual.

Yes, if you lend your car out it makes sense to have an automatic.

Nothing like your original silly stuff.

> On the other hand, if we did outlaw automatics (and what
> true conservative would allow such a governmental intrusion
> on the free market), everyone would be able to drive it.

Pathetic, really.

> When I was a kid I worked as a delivery boy for a drug store (talk
> about kids in a candy shop) and drove an old VB bug. You needed
> the clutch to get into first, but from there on it was optional.

Irrelevant to what is being discussed.

Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
> dgk wrote:
>> On 9 Feb 2007 08:33:46 -0800, "donquijote1954"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Ban automatic cars (except for the handicap) and the stupid and
>>> dangerous will go the way of the dinosaur. Whoever is not fit to
>>> drive stick, should ride a bike --or ride the bus. One-speed bikes
>>> should be all right though.

>> I've always preferred manual but they really are impractical in the
>> big city. Plus, I managed to break an ankle in 1997 while at a big
>> getaway with about 50 people (I landed very awkwardly from my
>> mountain bike). Only one person out of those 50 could drive my car
>> home. My next car was automatic.

> Impractical is a stick in San Francisco. They put stop signs at the
> top of a hill and unless you have a hand operated emergency brake you
> can roll back and get the car behind you. That's the one place where
> I don't want to have a stick.

Your gross incompetance is your problem, as always.

Rod Speed wrote:
> Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>> dgk wrote:

>>> I've always preferred manual but they really are impractical in the
>>> big city. Plus, I managed to break an ankle in 1997 while at a big
>>> getaway with about 50 people (I landed very awkwardly from my
>>> mountain bike). Only one person out of those 50 could drive my car
>>> home. My next car was automatic.

>> Impractical is a stick in San Francisco. They put stop signs at the
>> top of a hill and unless you have a hand operated emergency brake you
>> can roll back and get the car behind you. That's the one place where
>> I don't want to have a stick.

> Your gross incompetance is your problem, as always.

>> > You didn't answer my question. You predicted that 99.9% of the
>> > world's food-producing capability was going to go away. I'm still
>> > curious what your thought process was on that one. And I've been in
>> > the Himalayas - they grow plenty (including poppies and pot).

>> That wasn't a question that really deserved an answer. It should be
>> obvious that more people will build more buildings and thus there will
>> be less land available. The oceans are getting over fished so that
>> resource will soon run out. Do you expect we will farm the moon or
>> something?

>I think they expect God to come from the skies with a cornucopia of
>fruits and vegetables. Well, of course, he will come in an SUV (Hummer
>most likely) killing pagans since there's no fruits and vegetables for
>all. Cyclists though got no place in Heaven 'cause they voted for
>Gore, who endorsed homosexuals, etc, etc.

Oh, so YOU think 99.9 percent of the available farmland will be
overcome with development too, huh? You'd better hope there's a place
in heaven for those with no math skills. ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Rod Speed wrote:
> Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Impractical is a stick in San Francisco. They put stop signs at the
>> top of a hill and unless you have a hand operated emergency brake you
>> can roll back and get the car behind you. That's the one place where
>> I don't want to have a stick.

> Your gross incompetance is your problem, as always.

Should I even bother with assholes?
Or should I be nice and just call you an idiot who has never tried a
stick in S.F.???
Try it,then ***** about it.
It can be done with a foot emergency brake but you have to pull the
release at the same time as letting out the clutch and giving it gas,
while wearing out the release mechanism.

Or maybe you have 3 feet, no doubt all of them left.

Only those who have driven S.F. know what I mean.

Reply to jerk mode off.

Bill Baka

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 06:13:53 +1100, "Rod Speed" wrote:
>
>> Its silly buying a car on the basis of such a rare event.

> Perhaps, but bad knees aren't rare. Working a clutch is a problem for
> many people, even those that know how to use a stick.

Example: the weeks after childbirth With STITCHES. If you plan on
driving a car for a long time, some sort of injury that makes using a
clutch problematic, if not agonizing, is almost inevitable.

--
Cheers, Bev
===================================

Joe Fischer wrote:
> On Fri, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> schools...........
>> I would say that is a problem with the county officials either
>> completely blowing it, or getting their pockets lines to ignore the obvious.
>> Bill Baka

> Probably not, where there is an influx of residents,
> all public services are short of money.
>
> And in some towns, like mine, the school may
> close because there are not enough students to make
> the payroll, for 150 grade school students, laws require
> a school superintendent with an advances degree,
> a principle, and accredited teachers to qualify for
> federal funds.

Unlike your town this was an approved 1,500 house development that was
marginally passed by the county. I suppose the county officials are to
blame for this flub.

> With high fuel costs, look for more people
> moving south, or closer to work and schools and
> shopping centers, or if oil stays above $60
> a collapse of the world economy.

The fuel cost apparently was a non-issue with the people buy the houses
in last year's real estate frenzy. This is 40 miles north of the jobs in
Sacramento, so everyone who bought one of these houses is driving 80
miles a day in traffic that is beginning to rival the San Francisco,
Silicon valley, Oakland mess.
The idiots (I mean real idiots) who bought into these houses have about
a tenth acre and only got the houses maybe $20,000--$40,000 less than in
Sacramento. Now that the housing boom has flopped for now they all have
negative equity. In addition to the 2 SUVs some of them even bought
riding lawn mowers to one up the neighbors. No surprise that a lot of
the houses are up for a foreclosure sale, yet the Mexican 'Carpenters'
are still building like crazy. What really gets me is the husband and
wife more often than not take their own individual SUVs the 80 miles
each way because they work at different places.
It kind of seems to me it would have been easier to just buy a slightly
more expensive house in Sacramento instead of wearing out two new SUVs.
As is the way with the bicycle group, these people are properly looked
down upon for stupidity and pollution. Wearing out 2 SUVs and the gas to
do it trumps the minuscule savings on the house.

> Garages and large commercial buildings
> where there is not a lot of business are not heated
> with modern heaters any more.
>
> Sitting in an upholstered chair with a
> propane radiant heater to warm the front feels
> pretty good when it is 20 or 30 degrees below
> normal.
>
> Just some normal weather would be
> nice.

Amen on the weather.