Humbled By Old Guys

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
I joined a cycling club 2 months ago and have been riding for 5 months in total. I've kept in pretty good shape my adult life from running and am only 28 years old. The group I joined is the B- group or 15-16mph average pace. I picked this group in the beginning to work on my skill rather than speed and get use to riding with others. Recently, I've noticed that I'm starting to become faster than most of the others in the group. I tend to have to use the brakes even when going uphill if behind someone and try not to stay in front as the group leader directs everyone. I'll probably join the faster group soon, that is when I can keep up to one of the older group leaders.

Since I joined the group, he had decent speed, but it wasn't difficult to keep up with him. He told me he use to be the club president and one of its fastest riders, but he's in his 50-60's now and 250 pounds. The last 2 weeks, he's been riding much faster and when I took notice, he laughed and told me he's been taking it easy. He pulled ahead of the group yesterday and I thought I'd catch up to him, I though wrong..I rode 3-4 miles trying to catch him and every time i'd get near,he'd speed up. He could easily see me with his sunglass mirror. This was toward the middle of a 33 mile course and I burnt out my already sore legs(ran 5 miles the day before). He kind of took it easy for the rest of the day, but a different 60 something guy from a higher group was with us that day. He pulled ahead at the end and I tried to catch him....Same thing, burnt out my legs and couldn't catch him. It was actually a lot of fun chasing, but i'm unbelievably sore today.

I'd have to say that I'm really impressed with older people who can not only keep up, but beat young guys at cycling. I'm 6'4" and 165 pounds and in good shape, but got destroyed by 2 grandpa's. Have you had the experience of being outdone by people significantly older than you or are you the older person outdoing young people?

Quote by Uaw:
"It was actually a lot of fun chasing, but i'm unbelievably sore today."

This is what will make you a stronger, smarter cyclist.

You will develop strength and the knowledge of how and when to apply it. The old coots have years of learning the limits and how to carefully gage apply what they have left.

If they are hefty, you will soon be dropping them,

Hmm, do you mean to say you are silently competing with a grandpa? Now, see what you got? A pricked ego, right? Buy kidding aside, it's not wrong to silently compete with anyone as long as you take it on a positive light. But if that silent competition will frustrate you then I would advise you to just enjoy your ride. Isn't it wonderful to ride with old guys? When I was riding on a tour, those old guys would be supporting me all the way because they say I may not endure the trek uphill. I didn't take that negatively albeit I was glad about their extra attention on me.

Corzhens said:
Hmm, do you mean to say you are silently competing with a grandpa? Now, see what you got? A pricked ego, right? Buy kidding aside, it's not wrong to silently compete with anyone as long as you take it on a positive light. But if that silent competition will frustrate you then I would advise you to just enjoy your ride. Isn't it wonderful to ride with old guys? When I was riding on a tour, those old guys would be supporting me all the way because they say I may not endure the trek uphill. I didn't take that negatively albeit I was glad about their extra attention on me.
They were very aware that I was trying to "catch up" and I honestly think it made their day :D .Both of them had mirrors and would ramp it up when I would get close,they liked the competition as well,lol...I had a little conversation with both and it made them feel younger and have the "I still got it" attitude after making me work so hard.For me its actually wasn't frustrating at all, it was a lot of fun and gave me a very good work out. Also, people often dread aging, but seeing guys like this shows me that hopefully I can enjoy cycling as I age.

I'm not surprised to read this at all, I've seen it proved out again and again! I used to box and the number of times the younger crew would get our butts kicked by the older guys was ridiculous. It's the same with cycling, there's no way I can keep up with either of the two oldest guys in our group. I think they've just been into biking for a lot longer than I have so they have that strength and experience behind them meanwhile I'm still giving myself pinch flats trying to hop up onto the curb haha :)

I find whenever I'm riding with someone who's at so much of a higher level, it motivates me to push myself harder and try to improve. They can do all this awesome stuff that I want to try!

Uawadall said:
or are you the older person outdoing young people?
More about my size than age. Some young, some old, and some my age but I absolutely love it when I'm out riding and some dude thinks he's going to drop me on a hill because of my size. I tell ya if you do your work in the mountains, you can pretty much pas gas and make it over a hill. :lol:

Soreness it's something that goes away, but muscle and experience are left behind and that is what matters, the next time we pick up the bike we are stronger.

These guys are old but are obviously not cold. Aging sometimes does not translate to mean regression, but actually progression. These old guys apparently have experience and longevity. They have the endurance and they know what to do.

sunshiney said:
I'm not surprised to read this at all, I've seen it proved out again and again! I used to box and the number of times the younger crew would get our butts kicked by the older guys was ridiculous. It's the same with cycling, there's no way I can keep up with either of the two oldest guys in our group. I think they've just been into biking for a lot longer than I have so they have that strength and experience behind them meanwhile I'm still giving myself pinch flats trying to hop up onto the curb haha :)

I find whenever I'm riding with someone who's at so much of a higher level, it motivates me to push myself harder and try to improve. They can do all this awesome stuff that I want to try!
Very true, it seems like experience beats youth in cycling often. Of course you have guys who are naturals and kill it the second they get on the bike, but a young rookie will take some time to hang with the vets. While I may be younger and climb faster,etc.. these guys have silky smooth gear control, cadence, pacing and cornering technique. Us younger less experienced guys waste a second here and there in terms of efficiency. I enjoy riding with people faster, its very boring when i'm in front.

LinB said:
These guys are old but are obviously not cold. Aging sometimes does not translate to mean regression, but actually progression. These old guys apparently have experience and longevity. They have the endurance and they know what to do.
As we age, we naturally get slower, but it seems with cycling, the older guys bridge the gap with efficiency and don't waste a pedal.