Hummercide

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Robert J. Matte, Apr 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.


  1. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

  2. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

  3. Buck

    Buck Guest

  4. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    Actually I am thinking the front tire was not on the curb before somebody knifed it. It was probably
    just like the rear, right next to the curb. If it was true at least that driver knows how to
    parallel park.

    "Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote in message news:TKMia.32281
    >
    > Well, when you can't control the vehicle well enough to keep the tires off the curb, what do
    > you expect?
    >
    > :)
    >
    > -Buck
    >
    >
    >
    > P.S. For those of you who don't get it, check out where the front tire is planted.
     
  5. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    > I've got a hint for you SUV-haters out there. If you ignore them, they'll go away faster. SUVs are
    > a fad, just like anything else.

    =v= I disagree. SUVs broke into the market by a ridiculous doublethink campaign promoting them as
    having something to do with loving nature, which is irretrievably idiotic, but it worked: people
    lined up to buy them and slap their Sierra Club decals and "Keep Tahoe Blue" stickers on the
    bumpers. Now the doublethink selling point is that they're safer (they're not) and make you freer
    (just ignore those gas and insurance bills).

    =v= The triumph of SUV sales simply proves that millions of people out there just don't think things
    through. Yeah, it's a fad, so creating an anti-SUV buzz may be the only way to get through to these
    people to redirect their faddish behavior.

    > You'll notice that the new crop of SUVs are more and more car-like, smaller, more efficient. See
    > a trend?

    =v= Yeah, another doublethink trend. They're "more efficient" on a scale set by absurdly-low
    expectations.

    > The more y'all bash SUVs, the more I like driving my F150 just to prove that I can.

    =v= All you're proving is my point. Reasoning, clearly, has not swayed you. SUV-bashing makes
    more people aware that SUV driving is a sign of short-sighted stupidity, makes one smell like
    exhaust, causes wars, and (according to the SUV makers' own market research) appeals to paranoid
    sociopaths who feel

    about what others think of you, so perhaps this anti-SUV buzz will make yours a bit less
    lemming-like. <_Jym_
     
  6. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Raymo CC? writes:

    > Actually I am thinking the front tire was not on the curb before somebody knifed it. It was
    > probably just like the rear, right next to the curb. If it was true at least that driver knows how
    > to parallel park.

    If the tire was knifed, then it would be sitting flat on the rim. What you see is a tire compressed
    by having only a small overlap with the curb. This guy didn't need to park carefully, he has a
    tactical vehicle!

    Jobst Brandt [email protected] Palo Alto CA
     
  7. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Jym Dyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I've got a hint for you SUV-haters out there. If you ignore them, they'll go away faster. SUVs
    > > are a fad, just like anything else.
    >
    Remember BMWs in the 80s? That was a fad that was replaced by the minivan, which has been replaced
    by the SUV, which will be replaced with whatever the next trend is. I'm thinking its a trip back to
    station wagons, or tall wagons like the PT Cruiser, etc.

    > =v= I disagree. SUVs broke into the market by a ridiculous doublethink campaign promoting them as
    > having something to do with loving nature, which is irretrievably idiotic, but it worked: people
    > lined up to buy them and slap their Sierra Club decals and "Keep Tahoe Blue" stickers on the
    > bumpers. Now the doublethink selling point is that they're safer (they're not) and make you freer
    > (just ignore those gas and insurance bills).
    >
    The first "new" SUVs, the Toyota 4Runner and Nissan Pathfinder were both pickup based, appealing to
    young males that wanted an enclosed cab for their outdoor gear. The rest of the breed is driven by
    marketing, capitalizing on the original idea and mass marketing it for the yuppies. The Suburbans,
    Grand Cherokees, Cherokee Cheifs, and even the Ford Bronco had been around for a loooooong time in
    smaller numbers than today, but the big American Station wagon was also available for those families
    that needed the space and better gas mileage. Since the big station wagon died, there had to be
    something to take over, enter SUVs for the everyman.

    My insurance on my truck is less than that on any of my previous cars. Not by much, but still less.

    > =v= The triumph of SUV sales simply proves that millions of people out there just don't think
    > things through. Yeah, it's a fad, so creating an anti-SUV buzz may be the only way to get through
    > to these people to redirect their faddish behavior.
    >
    > > You'll notice that the new crop of SUVs are more and more car-like, smaller, more efficient. See
    > > a trend?
    >
    > =v= Yeah, another doublethink trend. They're "more efficient" on a scale set by absurdly-low
    > expectations.

    More efficient is still more efficient regardless of the expectations. I've also noticed a trend
    from Detroit (and to a lesser extent Europe) to stuff big ole V8s in cars again. Talk about less
    efficient! Less space AND the same size or bigger engine.

    >
    > > The more y'all bash SUVs, the more I like driving my F150 just to prove that I can.
    >
    > =v= All you're proving is my point. Reasoning, clearly, has not swayed you.

    Explain what reasoning you're talking about. I've owned a VW Golf, a Sentra, a Volvo 142, and
    several other cars that are much more efficient than my truck, but I still like the bed/cargo
    capacity, the size, and the fact that in an accident, you lose by the fact that the truck I'm
    driving weighs twice as much as your compact.

    SUV-bashing makes more people aware that SUV
    > driving is a sign of short-sighted stupidity, makes one smell like exhaust,

    Funny, I don't smell of gasoline when I'm driving my truck. Maybe if you weren't at the level of my
    tailpipe, you wouldn't either. Short sighted to me means involving the government with regulations
    designed to limit freedom of choice, but then that's my opinion.

    causes wars,

    I don't remember any SUVs invading Kuwait, or firing Scud missiles, or oppressing a population. You
    know of any?

    and (according to the SUV makers'
    > own market research) appeals to paranoid sociopaths who feel

    > about what others think of you,

    Funny, I could care less what you think of me. There are a very limited number of people in this
    world whose opinions matter to me. Yours isn't one of them.

    so perhaps this anti-SUV buzz will make yours a bit less lemming-like.
    > <_Jym_>

    Nope, all the anti-SUV buzz is to prove that America is a great place, where we have choices in the
    vehicles we drive. Where there is the freedom to be an asshole as long as it doesn't infringe on
    anyone else's right to be an asshole either.
     
  8. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Explain what reasoning you're talking about. I've owned a
    VW Golf, a
    > Sentra, a Volvo 142, and several other cars that are much
    more efficient
    > than my truck, but I still like the bed/cargo capacity,
    the size, and the
    > fact that in an accident, you lose by the fact that the
    truck I'm driving
    > weighs twice as much as your compact.

    That's not true. Crash safety has to do with the strength of the passenger compartment, and how well
    that structure is designed to collapse and absorb energy. This is how Indy cars weighing only 1500
    LB can crash into a wall (infinite mass) at 200 MPH, and the driver walk away. You don't make it
    safer by making it bigger and heavier. It's a lot more complicated than that. SUV's don't address
    these "complications" because they're not required to by law, as cars are.

    Drive what you want, just know the facts.

    Matt O.
     
  9. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > Explain what reasoning you're talking about. I've owned a
    > VW Golf, a
    > > Sentra, a Volvo 142, and several other cars that are much
    > more efficient
    > > than my truck, but I still like the bed/cargo capacity,
    > the size, and the
    > > fact that in an accident, you lose by the fact that the
    > truck I'm driving
    > > weighs twice as much as your compact.
    >
    > That's not true. Crash safety has to do with the strength of the passenger compartment, and how
    > well that structure is designed to collapse and absorb energy. This is how Indy cars weighing only
    > 1500 LB can crash into a wall (infinite mass) at 200 MPH, and the driver walk away. You don't make
    > it safer by making it bigger and heavier. It's a lot more complicated than that. SUV's don't
    > address these "complications" because they're not required to by law, as cars are.
    >
    > Drive what you want, just know the facts.
    >
    > Matt O.
    >

    Ain't America great? We can drive gas-guzzling road hogs if we choose to pay the penalties, or drive
    compact cars if we don't. Sure beats a lot of other countries in the world that don't have a choice!

    I can't wait till the hybrid electric cars are far enough along. For the kind of driving I do, a
    hybrid SUV would be a good thing. Till then, I'll either ride a bike or motorcycle when I'm not
    driving my truck.

    Mike
     
  10. Mike S. <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ain't America great? We can drive gas-guzzling road hogs if we choose to pay the penalties, or
    > drive compact cars if we don't. Sure beats a lot of other countries in the world that don't have
    > a choice!

    Just out of interest, can you name those countries where such choice isn't available? I've been
    to about thirty countries, and people drove everything from a Fiat 500 to Hummer in every single
    one of them.

    -as
     
  11. Jerz Fox

    Jerz Fox Guest

    No one should be driving a Hummer unless they're wearing dog tags, fatigues, and a flak jacket!

    Diana B., LPN Diva Nurse

    The JerZ Fox

    Money doesn't buy happiness. Poverty doesn't buy anything.
     
  12. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "JerZ Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > No one should be driving a Hummer unless they're wearing dog tags,
    fatigues,
    > and a flak jacket!

    I saw a "new" Hummer (GM truck platform) recently while riding my bike. There was a guy with his
    10yr old kid with him. The driver had the stiff-arm-on-the-top-of-the-steering wheel "cool" look. I
    was cracking up laughing (really, not mocking), the dad looked pissed-off, the kid, embarrassed. He
    lead-footed himself from the stop just to prove himself. Funny, eh?
     
  13. "Mike S." wrote:
    >
    > The funny thing is that most of the people bashing SUVs haven't even owned one. Just like green
    > eggs and ham... Go figure.

    It's easy to figure! Let's try an analogy, if you will.

    If my neighbor began riding around town on a diseased mule that had constant diarrhea and brayed
    loudly 24 hours a day, many people would complain. Few people would think they needed to try
    owning one!

    --
    Frank Krygowski [email protected]
     
  14. JerZ Fox wrote:
    >
    > No one should be driving a Hummer unless they're wearing dog tags, fatigues, and a flak jacket!

    You mean those guys have to stop playing "Let's pretend"? :-(

    --
    Frank Krygowski [email protected]
     
  15. Chris Neary

    Chris Neary Guest

    >The funny thing is that most of the people bashing SUVs haven't even owned one. Just like green
    >eggs and ham... Go figure.

    I drive SUVs often for my work, which requires me to go on ranch lands or fireroads to access
    the jobsites.

    Cherokees, 'burbans, Broncos, Explorers - I've driven them all and can state authoritatively their
    on-road handling characteristics leave *a lot* to be desired.

    I wouldn't trade our mini-van for any of the conventional body-on-frame SUVs. Compared to them it
    handles like a sports car, carries more (ever try to stuff a tandem in an SUV?), while being more
    comfortable and getting better mileage.

    Unless you need to tow something or have serious off-road capability , you're just buying hype.

    Chris Neary [email protected]

    "Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the
    elements I loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
     
  16. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Chris Neary writes:

    > Unless you need to tow something or have serious off-road capability, you're just buying hype.

    So what else is new! What do you think these people with flashy wheels and low profile tires and air
    foils on the back of their cars are doing at great expense. At least they are not intruding on
    parking or road spaces and threatening others with a bumper designed to smash windshields in the
    event of a collision.

    I find cars with trunk lids that open automatically at speeds above 50mph about as silly an ego
    statement as can be found on cars. The super snow shovels on the turbo Porsches imply that the car
    can somehow travel faster than all others on civilized highways. In fact the people who drive these
    cars practically never find a place or reason to exceed 100mph. Racers who do so do not use these
    props but have distinctly different wings on their cars.

    Jobst Brandt [email protected] Palo Alto CA
     
  17. W K

    W K Guest

    "Antti Salonen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mike S. <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Ain't America great? We can drive gas-guzzling road hogs if we choose
    to
    > > pay the penalties, or drive compact cars if we don't. Sure beats a lot
    of
    > > other countries in the world that don't have a choice!
    >
    > Just out of interest, can you name those countries where such choice isn't available? I've been to
    > about thirty countries, and people drove everything from a Fiat 500 to Hummer in every single one
    > of them.

    Perhaps north Korea? But thats because they haven't got the money. Albania? You cannot buy them
    there but you can get them shipped from germany (where you don't buy them either).

    Its another interesting thing I've noticed since the start of this war. Apparantly America is also
    the only nation in the world where one is allowed to openly criticise the government.
     
  18. W. K. wrote:

    > Its another interesting thing I've noticed since the start of this war. Apparantly America is also
    > the only nation in the world where one is allowed to openly criticise the government.

    Huh? It's one of the national pastimes here in Canada.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...